[Tutorial] - Creating your own vehicle

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Nadeox1, Aug 13, 2013.

1. lireaper

lireaper
    Expand Collapse

yes i do but a window comes up and says could not be corected and then kicks me out of the game

2. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

This question isn't about the structure of the car but the engine...
    Could you do an engine tutorial on the various parts of the diffs and transmissions? I made a perfectly running Diesel for the Covet, it runs fine but when I give it 100% throttle it will not shift until I Let up on the gas a little bit. Any idea what is causing this?

3. hummiliation

hummiliation
    Expand Collapse

hi,
    I got a problem, my first node is at position 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 and I started from there with a frame. Now all nodes are too low to attach the wheels, is there anything like scalenodeHeight or scalenodePosX? couldnt find anything in the wiki.
    Somehow that dintn cross my mind in advance.

4. Rand0mPsych0

Rand0mPsych0
    Expand Collapse

So, today I was successful at getting the cube to show up in the game, my error was a segment of the jbeam file that I accidentally put in twice. All was going well until I tried to add the mesh and the flexbody segment to the jbeam file :mad:.

-The mesh is named Cube.

Attached Files:

5. Rand0mPsych0

Rand0mPsych0
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry I'm replying again, but no one has helped me out and I really need help.

6. luchvk

luchvk
    Expand Collapse

Hello, I have a question about Part 3 of the process. You said "Go into your 3D software and after you divided each part into single object (if you need separate parts)..." I'm not sure what you mean by this. I'm just starting with 3D modeling and I want to create a car. I want to make the car in such a way where there are independent body panels, like the default cars currently in BeamNG Drive. I'm not sure if I can make the car and all of its components as one 3D model file, as I said I am completely new to 3D modeling. Can you tell me in more detail what you mean by what you said in the begining of part 3?

Also, can you give me pointers on how to create independent sections to a 3D car model, or refer me to a place that explains such in detail? (I'm using Blender to model the car.)

Thank you for reading my request; and thank you also for posting this thread, I know it will help me in the future. :)

7. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Separating means you make the selected parts and indipent object, so when you go into edit mode for example, you will be able to edit only the select object, instead of the whole car.
    For example, I detached all the parts here, so when I go into edit mode, I can edit only the selected part (the fenders in this case). You need to separate each part you want to be detachable from the rest of the body (Like hood, doors, bumpers, etc.)

(imported from here)

You can get more info about separating here > http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/D...jects/Groups_and_Parenting#Separating_Objects
    (You don't need grouping)

8. luchvk

luchvk
    Expand Collapse

Thank you. *whew* I thought it would be an extreme amount of work making the different parts of the car as separate models. :)

9. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

hi nadeox1. i was hoping you could help me with this before i posted a new thread. I am making a toolbox for the d-15 but the mesh doesnt show up. i always get this error. BEAMNG| ERR | error creating vertex buffer for mesh toolbox. the meshes name in blender is toolbox and the inside of the jbeam the flexbody is named toolbox. The jbeam shows up though and i can remove the jbeam through part select.
    halpppp.PNG

10. Rand0mPsych0

Rand0mPsych0
    Expand Collapse

I feel that I messed up something along the lines of punctuation.

Attached Files:

11. Tango91

Tango91
    Expand Collapse

It seems to work just fine (See picture) but your mesh needs scaling. If you're using Blender make sure that before you save and export the mesh you select it in object mode and use Ctrl-A to apply rotation, location and scale.

FWIW I've attached a .zip of the folder that it works from.

Attached Files:

12. AdmiralPeanut

AdmiralPeanut
    Expand Collapse

this is F****** IMPOSSIBLE

i didnt get it from the start:confused:

if ANYONE could send a video that would be FREAKIN AMAZIN

btw i got notepad++ but i dont have or know of any 3D programs:confused::(:mad:

13. AdmiralPeanut

AdmiralPeanut
    Expand Collapse

really no one has got ANYTHING?!

14. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Dude calm. Try Blender, it's free.

15. AdmiralPeanut

AdmiralPeanut
    Expand Collapse

ok ned well thx for that

if you could send a vid tho that would be awesome

16. chevy65

chevy65
    Expand Collapse

Dude if you really need info just look up CG Masters car modeling and texturing DVD. CP just released another DVD that has everything you ever need to do 3d models with blender. He send the blender program, pre-built models, textures and over 18 hours of tutorials, that take you through the very beginning (noob status) all the way to advanced (pro status) when using blender.

17. The Sturmovik

The Sturmovik
    Expand Collapse

I want to get into modeling my own vehicles, so I read through this entire thread. What I'm getting is that this simple yet complex operation. You create your .dae model in,
    let's say, blender. Then, you create a corresponding .jbeam file that in the game has the actual physics applied to it. This only raises two questions: how does BNG
    correspond the .dae file with the .jbeam ( I mean like, in game and specific to each part: you mash up the wheel and the dae model wheel warps accordingly), and two, are
    you just editing through the text editor and hoping to achieve the proper coordinates by typing them in (0,0,0 or 1,2,-1) or is there an in game editor function for this?

18. Tango91

Tango91
    Expand Collapse

In Blender, or whichever 3D modelling software you're using, you can give individual components names.
    In your favourite text editor (notepad++, btw), you assign groups of nodes with names like "chassis" or "left_door" or whatever, like this:
    Code:
    {"group" : "chassis"},
    In the flexbodies section you tell the game to map a named part of your 3D mesh to the group of nodes using
    Code:
    ["my_cool_door", "left_door],
    You need to sit down and think about how you're going to build your vehicle, how you can best create a strong rigid structure for the chassis, and how you're going to mount things like suspension components, etc.
    It helps to have had a lot of experience with Rigs of Rods, but honestly just follow the tutorial to make a cube and work from there.

You don't need to guess at where you're putting your nodes in 3d space, because in, your 3d modelling software you should be able to see where a certain point is on the X, Y and Z axes, and how it relates to the structure of your vehicle parts.

Make sure to name your nodes in a way that you won't come to regret later, and practice practice practice, and it becomes sort of second nature.

Hope this helps :)

19. The Sturmovik

The Sturmovik
    Expand Collapse

Alright, thanks! I'll work on my 3D model first (it'll be simple and not too ambitious for a start) and go from there. This makes more sense now :D

20. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

A simple start is always better than an ambitious one :)

Also, your 3d program will be able to use meters for its coordinates(you can always import another vehicle from here to see if it's already set to meters), which means you can use real world dimensions from the car you're working on.

A good way to get coordinates, in my opinion, is using a "dummy" object(like a small cube or an animation joint or whatever), and dragging it around on your model, just make it a bright model so it's easy to spot. You read the coordinates from that object and type them into the jbeam files, and when you're done you delete the dummy objects you used, so they won't show up in-game. In Maya there's a neat object called a Locator node, made specifically for reading coordinates and such. It's basically just 3 green lines in all 3 dimensions, intersecting in the center like a cross, and it won't ever show up in-game or in renders, so you can just leave them in your scene and pay no attention to them when you're done.

Good luck on your model :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice