Released [Tutorial] Making a terrain for Beam-NG (in depth guide with pictures)

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Fundador, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Luke #37

Luke #37
    Expand Collapse

Great post.

#61 Luke #37, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2013
  2. danodude

danodude
    Expand Collapse

THANKS FOR THIS!

(I would keep using caps but then the post would probably be deleted or something)

You've answered my huge question on how to make smooth, straight roads, and many more :eek: Fantastic tutorial :D

Edit:

I forgot to say, maybe I missed it but I kept getting an error when importing my heightmap, and this was because the size of the image wasn't a multiple of 2. Maybe add that you need the images to be something like 512x512.

I also have a question, how do I make my roads behave differently? At the moment they all behave like whatever surface they were put over.

#62 danodude, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  3. kruleworld

kruleworld
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the tutorial, it got me started. The only issue i found that no one's mentioned is the road textures were not present in the material editor. i think i've figured it out.

I found the same problem with the sky. when i added another skybox (thinking it hadn't saved it) the editor said it may not be compatible with 'Basic Sun'. I found it had added one itself and deleting all the skyboxes and suns until it went dark then added my skybox again.

4. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

Hello
    i am having trouble clicking on the blue arrow for the water plane. in fact my arrow is just a line. any easy way to click on the thin line?

5. benlucky13

benlucky13
    Expand Collapse

much appreciated tutorial, fundador!
    i do feel the need to add a comment to those of you making your maps:
    make sure to delete the sun object after you put in your scattersky, or you get headache inducing shadow changes. took me longer than i wish to admit to realize the cause of this.
    here are a few screen shots of what i was dealing with every time i turned past a certain point:
    BeamNG.drive.x86_2013_10_31_20_34_45_288.png BeamNG.drive.x86_2013_10_31_20_34_48_048.png

6. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

Yes that is a good point! il add it now :)

7. Binkey

Binkey
    Expand Collapse

Fundador, I cannot thank you enough for the tutorial. It helped me do something, other than just download and play other peoples work. I am currently working on a map, thanks to you, and if/when I release it, I will give butt-loads of credit to you.

Thank you loads,
    -Binkey

8. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

I have to second this sentiment, just noticed I never posted my thanks on this thread. I never would have started messing around in the editors if this tutorial did not exist, I recommend anyone who is having problems to follow this guide exactly, if you do everything will work. I hope to see you make more tutorials of this quality in the future, it was very easy to follow and had all the info you need when first starting out.

Thanks again Fundador!

9. KiloHotel

KiloHotel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for this tutorial man, quick and easy start to map making.

10. Straubz

Straubz
    Expand Collapse

This also helped me to get started, but it doesn't say anything about changing the .cs files in the art folder so all the textures and brushes work correctly.

All you have to do is open all the .cs files from the art folder in notepad++ and do a mass find and replace
    e.g. Replace "levels/Industrial/art/" with "levels/your map folder name/art/" (do this for all the locatiosn you got your art folder from)

11. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

In all truth I had no idea that was how you did it! I wrote this tutorial as I learned myself (that way I figured I wouldn't assume that people knew something just because I knew it) I still learn from people posting Comments with tips!

Also, thanks for all the thanks haha. Intend to release some basic modelling tutorials soon aswell so people can make their own assets.
    Hoping to guide from making the shape right through to us unwrap and texture. Should boost the number of custom assets in circulation :)

12. chaney42

chaney42
    Expand Collapse

Hey great tutorial!

quick question i have gotten to the point of making the ocean which i got to look just about right only problem when i try to drive into it my vehicle smashes and flies really high into the air is there a setting to fix this? or did I just do something wrong?

thanks much appreciated :D

13. Straubz

Straubz
    Expand Collapse

Either your at the edge of your map or you have the "density" or "viscosity" set to high in the options.

14. Singh336

Singh336
    Expand Collapse

excellent !!

15. Singh336

Singh336
    Expand Collapse

Tried this out tonight for the first time, and I got the map in game, just textured the ground, I manually adjusted the sea/ocean up closer to the ground because it was below the terrain quite a bit..

Then I think I accidentally clicked and dragged on the arrows around the spawn point, after that I realized when I switched out of game editor mode that I couldn't drive the truck at all, then I tried to respawn the truck and all it did was dissappear, I tried to move the spawn point / sphere around and nothing helped..

Now I didn't save changes, backed out, loaded the map again.. and I know it didn't save because the ocean was back below the terrain by a lot, and the terrain was no longer textured... however I did not spawn with a truck and I couldn't spawn one either.. just floating in the sky there ...

I could start all over but I would like to know how that might of happened, I did this once with grid map when trying to spawn a couple spintops and lost the ability to control the vehicle...

anyone have any ideas?

16. Straubz

Straubz
    Expand Collapse

might have crashed the physics side of things, either restarting the game or computer normally fixes it for me.

17. Singh336

Singh336
    Expand Collapse

Weird, I'll try to restart and see if that helps..

This happened to you before tho ?

EDIT:

This did seem to work for me, had to restart the PC tho.. lol

Thank you

EDIT:

Also you might want to add in the tutorial that when you press auto paint and generate the texture for the terrain, especially for the first time (at least for me) that you should expect a very long wait and to be patient... I wasn't sure if it was normal at first or if the game was frozen/ crashed after pressing generate. Took me 4 minutes , so depending on the pc and size of map it might take a while.

#77 Singh336, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  18. chaney42

chaney42
    Expand Collapse

hey another quick question,

I have made a map (kinda) with a mountain crawler trail however i cant quite get the spawnpoint figured out. I can move it where i want it to go however i can not get my car to spawn or restart there. It still falls from the sky and plummet to the ground. Any suggestions on how to get the spawnpoint to work? I also have search all over the forums looking for help before asking but to no avail. thanks in advanced.

19. Binkey

Binkey
    Expand Collapse

I have a question as well, how do you make a flatter map in L3DT? Whenever I make a height map and port it into BeamNG the mountains are extremely steep and unplayable. I followed your tutorial in L3DT exactly but it's always like that. Help would be much appreciated! I also tried using geocontrol, but I had no clue how to use it.

Thanks,
    Binkey

20. Binkey

Binkey
    Expand Collapse

Thanks guys for answering my last question! (Sarcasm) I have another question! Alright, when I save, my .ter is in my levels folder and not the folder of the map. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

-Binkey

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice