1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Tyre Friction Coeficients on official vehicles, are they accurate?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by aljowen, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Capkirk

Capkirk
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, when I said the 2019 Prius can out-corner slightly older sports cars, I meant stuff as recent as 2015 model year cars. The 2019 Prius will beat sports cars less than 10 years old at low speed corners purely because of it's tires. I am aware that ladder frame, live axle muscle cars can be easily beat by any high end modern car, due to live axles and chassis flex ruining any grip they might have. I brought up the 2019 Prius because it is beating cars of it's era, that are several classes above it, purely because it was designed to use new tire designs. If you give those slightly older cars the same tires they will beat the Prius like they should.

2. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

If I remember correctly, Kerbal Space Program has an aerodynamics model broadly similar to Beam's. Someone made a mod that switches it to real fluid dynamics, but it absolutely murders FPS. Now since KSP is mainly dealing with spacefaring vessels, I'd hazard a guess that the real-aerodynamics mod doesn't really bother with car-relevant things like ground effect, slipstream, and wake turbulence, or at least not in a very refined way.

Yeah, trying to properly simulate aerodynamics in Beam would bring anything short of a supercomputer to its knees. Plus, some "short cuts" would still be necessary as Beam's collision meshes aren't detailed enough to properly simulate "little things" like door handles or the bumps and ridges of old-style window moldings.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice