[Unsolved] Wheel Swap Messes Up Other Wheels

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Iceman00789, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Iceman00789

Iceman00789
    Expand Collapse

So I modeled a set of wheel a while back for BeamNG.Drive when it first came out and decided that I'd try and get them in game while I was downloading something. Here's a workflow of how my little adventure went.

1. Imported pickup.dae into 3ds max using the built in 3ds max collada.
    2. Split parts up into selection sets to make it easier to work. (Selection sets, not groups)
    3. Saved that file and created new one for the tires.
    4. Imported the off road wheels from previously said file into newly created file.
    5. Mocked up a cylinder for size reference.
    6. Detached the wheel from the tire for later use.
    7. Deleted wheel.
    8. Modeled the new tire and set smoothing groups for it.
    9. Attached gabesters wheel to it.
    10. Saved, probably before this, but who cares.
    11. Opened up the original file and imported my new off road tire/wheel combo.
    12. Center the transform coordinates to the center of the old wheels so I could tell where my new ones would need to go.
    13. Placed new wheels and reset the transform coordinates of all of them to the origin.
    14. Saved, exported .dae and loaded it in game. Whoa! Wrong scale.
    15. Changed the scale in the exporter from centimeters to meters.
    16. Decided to actually open up the .jbeam for the front and rear wheels.
    17. Changed the name of the existing meshes to the new ones. "icdtrailwrangler_01a_17x9_.."
    18. Saved/exported everything and reloaded the vehicle. Strange, only the left side wheels are rotating as they should and the normals are inverted.
    19. Back in 3ds max I reset the Xform on the right side wheels and converted it back to an editable mesh. Flipped the faces.
    20. Exported and opened it back up. Voila! Everything works just fine. No materials on the wheel/tire and the wheel is shaded wrong, but I'll be replacing that anyways and doing materials for both when I do.
    21. Decide to switch to another version, ie. sport and find the wheels/tires and bumper to be totally messed up.

tl;dr

The big question is: Why are some of the parts I never touched messed up while others are perfectly fine? Any ideas? Pics below and I am off to work.

Attached Files:

• screenshot_00022.png
    • screenshot_00023.png
    • screenshot_00024.png
    • screenshot_00025.png
    • screenshot_00027.png
  2. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

That last wheel, the untextured white one; I NEED that wheel, that is a wicked cool tread on that thing.

I can't contribute towards your problem, but holy crap man. That is a wicked awesome wheel.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice