Update Speculation thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crazikyle, Jan 26, 2016.

1. mrsmash

mrsmash
    Expand Collapse

what happened to the d series crawler

2. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

it crawled away

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. TobiBenzi

TobiBenzi
    Expand Collapse

I think several devs have given a statement on that. BeamNG's devs aren't the devs of "many games", they're the devs of BeamNG.drive, and if I remember correctly, that is why they want to do it as realistically as possible. So if they do it at some point in the future, same with a scratch system, it would have to be realistically simulated in order to meet the quality standards they want to achieve with their game.

That said, I have wondered for a long time why the glass physics are still the same as they were in 2013... An unsmashable windshield is about as far away from realistic simulation as GTA's "oh look, your car had contact with dirt? It is now dirty!".

I mean I understand why we don't have those realistic glass breaking physics yet - probably because of technical limitations, same as dirt and scratch physics - but at least a windshield that can be broken beyond looking like a spider's web would be nice to have.
    I suspect that this has still not been changed because the devs do want to have a much more realistic system but just haven't had the possibility to implement one yet...

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. TestaRossa

TestaRossa
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

It was probably explained at some point, but why exactly is dirt physics harder to implement in BeamNG than it is in Spintires?

#23964 TestaRossa, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. FalloutNode

FalloutNode
    Expand Collapse

probably because beam runs on a really old engine. Maybe it isnt harder than in spintires, but its just hard.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Spintires/MR both run on Havok, Snowrunner runs on their proprietary Swarm engine (source: https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/41715/snowrunner-faq/2). All three were made from the ground up with terrain deformation in mind. I remember the first two games required something specific to Havok, and Snowrunner took the terrain deformation code from the first two games.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. loba04

loba04
    Expand Collapse

BeamnNG runs on a heavily modified version of Torque 3D. I think that it is so different that you can call it a new propietary game engine.

8. FalloutNode

FalloutNode
    Expand Collapse

I know, but its still old, bethesda uses their creation engine which is a heavily modified version of something something. It still has some limitations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ARES IV

ARES IV
    Expand Collapse

I dont think you will find many games - if any in fact - that simulate so many things about driving this realistically.

This is really awesome... but it also means that compared to a lot of similar looking games that BeamNG spends a very significant amount of processing power on those physics already.

So even you you ignore possible engine limitations for a moment.... it would still need to run reasonable on peoples systems.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Cutlass

Cutlass
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

thats damn sicc lol

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Grind86

Grind86
    Expand Collapse

DELETED.

#23971 Grind86, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Cutlass

Cutlass
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

• Like Like x 2
  13. LucasBE

LucasBE
    Expand Collapse

this is why we need the informative rating ^

• Agree Agree x 12
  14. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

gogo me shitbox

• Like Like x 3
  15. _Tanco

_Tanco
    Expand Collapse

The "forum update" surprise me a bit, IMO beamng's forums looks ok, it isn't really sophisticated but it is pretty simple and easy to load, everything is pretty clear with no lags/major problems at all. The only thing that need a rework is the community :D

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Srockzz

Srockzz
    Expand Collapse

Agreed, please, the door is on the left, make sure to close it when you are out. The only people that need reworked are those that believe Meshslaps are mods.

• Like Like x 2
  17. StinchinStein

StinchinStein
    Expand Collapse

They aren't updating the forums because it doesn't look good.

I assume it's because of this:
    The XenForo version they are using is EOL (end-of-life), so they can't get forum updates anymore, which I assume include security updates and what not.

I could be wrong, but it's speculation thread for a reason ;)

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  18. SuperAusten64

SuperAusten64
    Expand Collapse

Adding onto that, that's the reason Groups were removed—if I recall correctly, Atomix and chris_lucas "discovered" (exploited) a security issue in the old and outdated Groups plugin.
    If they upgrade the forum software to XenForo 2, there is a new version of the old theme they're currently using, which I assume (and hope) they'll use in order to preserve the look and feel of the BeamNG forums.

#23978 SuperAusten64, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 5
  19. Harkin Labs Gaming

Harkin Labs Gaming
    Expand Collapse

If they switch forum software, will we need to create new accounts? What will happen to our posts, followers, ratings, and even threads?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SquarebodyChevy

SquarebodyChevy
    Expand Collapse

That stuff should all transfer over.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice