1. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Update Speculation thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crazikyle, Jan 26, 2016.

1. fivedollarlamp

fivedollarlamp
    Expand Collapse

The distribution of vehicles within the game's roster shouldn't be completely even. Comparing the broad appeal and career-mode applicability of different vehicle archetypes, some are clearly more applicable and appealing than others.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

"Even to a reasonable degree" was implied. Of course it's of no use to follow "even distribution" to a draconian extent, especially since this game is always going to have a small roster and therefore sample size compared to some other games in the genre. I certainly don't expect a perfect representation of the real world automotive sample as cars like the Dale would be rather stupid to have represented (although thinking about the idea of the Dymaxion car in BeamNG is certainly funny)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. btcb48

btcb48
    Expand Collapse

So... anyone noticed the additional "non-Overdrive" Drive position in the Wendover's floor/console shifter?
    Don't mind me, no time to go through the last 50 pages.

Implementation of OD-off is, personally at least, the most overdue of the remaining "missing" capabilities that the more basic, but electronics fitted, automatics should feature.

The issue would be that the rest still use a D21 shift pattern, and a separate OD toggle switch would realistically require another control binding or some funny code to make it work with the simple up/down gear select controls.

On this topic, spoiler box for those interested:
    To share a bit, "basic" electronic logic autos, or the really old purely mechanical type, always try to "short" upshift the moment the gas pedal is released if the resulting RPM (assuming correct calibration) is sufficiently above idle, a mechanically sympathetic driver uses these "lower than normal D" positions to prevent this constant up-down shifting when throttle input is varied. Preventing gear hunting, in other words. Towing on hilly roads is a common usage example given in owner manuals.

The 2 position in purely mechanical autos, sometimes shown as D in 2 speed models, almost always means skipping 1st and forcing to 2nd. Sufficient reduction for commuting about in the 2nd ratio would be achieved purely from the torque converter, but a keen driver can "manually" use the 1 position to win the stoplight drags, in a sense it's unrestricted manu-sequential style shifting but with a mechanically inefficient anti-stall fluid coupling. Have personally set up the 2 speed Bluebuck and Miramar to behave this way based on their close IRL analogues.

Many modern autos can be forced to start from a standstill in the 2nd ratio using the sequential mode, though somewhat less important today with properly tuned TCS. Certain models bypass the 1st ratio by default too, like powerful V12 models, and most implementations of the infamous transverse ZF 9 speed.

Back with these old mechanical autos, assuming engagement of the "appropriate" bands/clutches, shift to a lower position while at max RPM in the highest ratio and some metal bits can probably score a job offer for the Boring company or SpaceX.

Electronic controls and sensors thus brought us safeties and sometimes configurable behaviour.

Shifting to 2 or L or trying to disengage OD at max RPM in top gear would only preselect the lower gear ratio, only actually down shifting when a safe RPM limit is met. This could still cause a somewhat destabilizing jump in RPM, especially without engine drag torque control or rev-matching. Engine braking in the, say, 2nd ratio can be different between D and 2 depending on the specific implementation of the bands/clutches. (Old service/repair manuals can be goldmines of info)

Most of the pre-00's but electronics fitted Japanese autos only had "limit to" behaviour, even some of the 6 speed Toyota autos of the past 10 years still behave this way in their sequential-esque mode. For example, the S position sets it to S4 by default and disables the (barely) adaptive aggression logic, the car would short shift up to the 4th ratio when the minimal possible RPM is reached and minimal gas pedalling is applied. The behaviour is actually quite similar to the D432L positions used in some of their preceding 5 speeds, just using a compact + and - selector instead of multiple distinct positions.

Some 4-speed Mazdas had an alt mode switch, similar to some Germans, to toggle between (default) "limit to" and a pseudo "force to" mode that skipped certain high or low ratios depending which of the D2L positions was chosen. Complaints about complexity and the introduction of TCS resulted in a gradual reversion to a simple OD-off toggle that only affected the D position by the time of their first 5 speeds, though they soon switched entirely to a sequential mode.

Honda integrated both modes into the regular shift pattern for their 4 speeds, distinguishing them by printing a D in front of the limit modes: available forward drive positions could be D4, D3 (OD-off), and then 2, which forces to the 2nd ratio.

I believe that some of the electronically controlled Ford 4 speeds have unique behaviour for the 2 position too: Low to moderate throttle means force to 2, but flooring it from a standstill can make it start in the 1st ratio.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

This doesn't even just apply to really powerful stuff. The ZF8 also does this in the 6 cylinder 1/2series if in D rather than S.

Fun fact, launch control in the new M3 and M4 models (which are back to ZF8 rather than DCT) also starts in second gear.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Softair

Softair
    Expand Collapse

He probably means the Pigeon, but I donĀ“t get why should it be a joke car. There are similar vehicles to the Pigeon in the real world.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. vidderus

vidderus
    Expand Collapse

Well, it's probably considered a joke car because it has no configs and parts. It's also probably also a joke car because it's not the best driving car you know... It flips often.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. McBeamer94

McBeamer94
    Expand Collapse

This also happens in the F90 M5, with the same gearbox.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rubidium

Rubidium
    Expand Collapse

Despite the fact that I like the idea of having a three-wheeler in Beam, I think the Pigeon should be moved as an Italian or British (or even Indian) vehicle.
    It would have much more sense in my opinion, as Japanese three-wheelers were more a thing of the 50's and not the 80's.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. McBeamer94

McBeamer94
    Expand Collapse

I noticed something else, this time related to the Wendover: although it is newer than the LeGran (1984), the D-Series (1986) and being the same initial model year as the Covet (1987), it doesn't have a high mounted stop light, which seems weird!

#30169 McBeamer94, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  10. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Im not too sure but there were some japanese three wheel cars too

11. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Pigeon counterpart cars include but I'm sure are not limited to:

#30171 ManfredE3, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 11
  12. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

while it's a bit larger, the mazda t1500 is also a reasonably close match, albeit a bit more heavy duty.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

That thing is huge for a trike
    *All hail the fat pigeon*

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Zero

Zero
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 19
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

Huge?

Let's not forget the Pigeon's burly farm cousins...

(Image courtesy of Terragator II | Dharbigt Maersk | Flickr )

Just picture driving one of these things in BeamNG...

Anyway, getting back on topic. I think that when the Pigeon eventually does get its overhaul, we're going to see new wheel options, and the 'flames' paint job will be made colourable.

• Like Like x 8
  16. Jakux

Jakux
    Expand Collapse

So what can we expect for Pigeon remaster? And to be honest, I thought people were joking about it but looks like it will be happening at some point...
    -Since we can count Reliant Robin, an extended passenger version?
    -A pre facelift or facelift version?
    -Updated JBeam?
    -More wheels option and update for ''Flames'' paint job as YellowRusty said?
    -Config with Small Island Observatory skin included?
    -Fat Pijon?

#30176 Jakux, Apr 11, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. The Gas Station

The Gas Station
    Expand Collapse

I actually would not be surprised for a DIY sort of EV conversion, powered by a rather weak yet torquey electric motor, and a pack of 12V batteries, prehaps even ones re-used from other cars.
    Also, maybe a proper box truck, kind of like the Vanster has a van rear, but also there's a van with a box truck rear.
    And an option of fatter tires at the back, for those who insist on hot-rodding it?

But I really doubt how much additional content and effort would go into the Pigeon. It's a nice car, but there are vehicles much more desperate for an overhaul (200bx, Pessima anyone?)

• Agree Agree x 10
  18. samcar330

samcar330
    Expand Collapse

le blob pessima needs love

• Agree Agree x 6
  19. Slugfest

Slugfest
    Expand Collapse

I hate to say it, but I think the blob pessima is there specifically not to receive love... and besides a light refresh, I don't think it needs much. My only question is "wen lat 90's blob gravel?"

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. McBeamer94

McBeamer94
    Expand Collapse

I think it actually needs some love texture-wise. For starters, its digital clock is purely superficial (as are the clocks of the 1988 Pessima, the Covet and the Grand Marshal)!
    The 1988 Pessima looks fresh compared to it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice