How does the development of new updates work for you guys? do you have feature branches like for big stuff like multiplayer and smaller multiplayer feature branches that get merged into multiplayer or is it more that there's a dev branch that then goes into main and then finally feature freeze for a 0.xx patch? Seems you guys have a faster development strategy so the first method may be incompatible, since you have multiplayer left overs. Of course there can be combinations of these methods but for something like multiplayer id think it'd be in a larger isolated branch so you don't cause too much havoc lol
So they basically added what TTS's ad pack did, where the existing billboards are now ads? (genuine question because I haven't gotten to play the update yet)
actually, never mind the hotfix is here update: changelogs released: https://beamng.com/game/news/patch/beamng-drive-v0-39-1/
i made this graphic with clanker code. These are all the ads in the common folder, excluding the large_ ones since they are duplicates and there are only 20 of them (probably unused)
Definitely well needed. I’m glad they disabled the feature that stops you spawning lots of cars tbh, it was just getting annoying. I’m sure the bugs will get ironed out eventually. The devs definitely take great pride in their work. It’ll probably take some getting used to for a lot of people though, it’s a big change.
I am a bit saddened after seeing a lot of negative comments over on the 0.39 discussion thread, to be honest... Sure, it's buggy, and I understand the frustration. But at the same time, this is the most complex update for the game so far; it has included quite a bit of massive gameplay-changing features. While the devs have certainly spent a lot of time bug-fixing, such changes are bound to bring loads of varied glitches and breaks. So, after everything, after seeing such a great update, it was a bit dissapointing to see lots of rather harsh criticisms based on the game running poorly on old hardware. What is the point on saying "update bad" or jumping to "I want to return to 0.38"?
Exactly. It's like some people don't understand the fact that update after update the game's minimal requirements need to be raised and the game won't run as good on an unchanged computer, especially right after the graphics overhaul. On the opposite side however, many believe that the release was rushed because of the ridiculous amout of chaos and rushing t.dev there was on beamcord sadly.
In terms of development speed, friction, testing coverage, ease of development for non-programmers, etc, typically it goes like this: no branching > branching at runtime based on ingame Options > branching at runtime based on presence/absence of files > branching at compile time based on build settings > branching at checkout/clone time based on VCS systems. Each branching decision you make, means you're splitting testing in half, while complicating development and adding opportunities for additional bugs. So doing branches at VCS level is the absolute last resort, and is best avoided when you have both huge updates and fast pace of updates. Other approaches can work better if the environment allows slower development pace and smaller updates (with extreme cases being the old-school aerospace industry, medical, etc). I won't go into details, since these things are evaluated case by case anyway, and get re-evaluated often. There's no hard rules, we don't have some grand unmovable opinion, we just try to use common sense and experiment to some extent on a constant basis. But you get the gist of it
this was not mentioned in the release notes, maybe why? I appreciate the update to the porta-potty, however I think I am speaking for the entire fanbase when I say there is a level of playability that is still missing. Career mode could hugely benefit
So, since the Ardente directly shares a platform with the Vivace/Tograc (as in, they're all counted under the same set of parts), I wonder if that's going to become more common over the years. To be honest, I could see that being an alternative to sharing engines or frames, since it would mean fewer things in the common folder (and thus, less lag). I'm not sure how the folder structure works for the FCV platform as a whole - is the Ardente in a separate folder, or is it like the Autobuggy and D/Hopper Crawlers? There are some examples of "Ardente-like" vehicles that could work with the current platforms we have (I don't expect any of these vehicles to happen - these are mere possibilities that are now more likely with this style of development): Spoiler: Examples -Piccolina: A Multipla/850T/T1-like van would be a neat counterpart to the Stambecco -Bastion: A Challenger/Camaro/Mustang-esque coupe would be neat (to give us another Moonhawk and a larger K-Series rival) -FCV: There's still plenty of mileage that could be gotten out of this platform. A modern MPV (like the C4 Picasso) or a proper modern crossover (like the 5008/DS No. 4) could be built from these parts. -800/K: Maybe a large luxury sedan, like a BMW 7 Series or Merc S-Class? -Bluebuck: A late-'50s Burnside with flamboyant styling would fill the gap between the Bluebuck and '52 Burnside -BX: I've mentioned this a fair few times, but a '90s RWD sedan like the JZX90/100 Chaser or C33 Laurel/A31 Cefiro/R32 Skyline would fill out the '90s JDM sector quite well without having to build an all-new platform. It might be a bit too close to the I-Series for the devs, but it could also be different enough to warrant inclusion -Covet: A CRX-like coupe or Shuttle/Wagovan-esque wagon could work. A sedan's not happening, since it'd be too close to the '88 Pessima. -Pigeon/Wigeon: A cabover kei van/truck would be a solid starting delivery vehicle for career mode Maybe the Hopper will be added when it gets remastered/refreshed? Then again, the '88 Pessima's been in traffic for ages, and it's yet to be remastered or refreshed, so I dunno why the Hopper isn't in traffic.