1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Update Speculation thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crazikyle, Jan 26, 2016.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I haven't looked West Coast, but on East Coast they have larger model that has several buildings, part of sidewalks etc. so moving buildings might not be possible in editor, you would need to import model to blender, then adjust model in blender, export that and maybe then use editor to do some ground adjustments etc.

Of course moving buildings in Blender might cause changes in mapping, not sure how that works, but you might have bit more work there than just moving few things. Some details of buildings might be in normal and specular maps or whatever maps there are, when you take some faces and relocate them, how well those will work?

There might be bit more challenges than how it first looks.

Think about dashboard of the car, when some of details are in those maps instead of models and you move some control knob, you kinda need to do all those maps again, if it works same way with how city is built, then it can be real pain to make changes afterwards.

2. Glitchy

Glitchy
    Expand Collapse

Oddly enough, there has not been any screenshots in the developer section since early December. And almost no developer activity as of what I can see. This leads me to believe that the next update is going to be a surprise.. It would make sense, to prevent hype.. Or the developers could be taking a break.

3. Copunit12

Copunit12
    Expand Collapse

Or both?

4. Glitchy

Glitchy
    Expand Collapse

Possibly. I am starting to think that. At this point, I believe the update could be out in March/April, or even May.

5. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

Last time I checked, most of the staff is on vacation.

6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

#8966 fufsgfen, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2018
  7. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

You seem to have missunderstood what this is about. It's purely about the variable system, not about parts affecting other parts.

8. Taza

Taza
    Expand Collapse

I mean, this could be used for just that too. Make the engine torque a series of variables that are defined by the engine + exhaust. Either way, this is really cool and something I always wanted. Maybe this will lead to some interesting results if you can use a base number + variable for a mesh or node position...

9. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Indeed, just a little expansion is needed, right? :D

Why I'm all of the sudden getting feeling someone is having a face palm effect in his office? :p

What if I would have part set variable wastegate end to +2 and other part would set +2 also, then I could have +4 for wastegate end already with this new variable system?

To extend that to torque it would need of course lot of new code, which will add lot of potential currently unseen issues too, but it would add a lot to game too I believe.

Taza, you thinking about offset wheels easy way there?

10. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Yea sure, you could abuse this in a really bad way and create hugely messy jbeam in the process ;)
    However, for what was spoken about above, just wait a bit longer, we might have something better in the pipeline there :p

11. Taza

Taza
    Expand Collapse

Wheels have a variable for the nodeOffset, but that doesn't allow for every application. Think of a pre-extended hydraulics for example, you can do that now with extending beams but that is not legit "pre-extended". The are many more applications for this.

12. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Now I got feeling of someone talking about little teaser :p

I do have one problem with the new stuff coming in a future, learning all the current stuff alone is taking a long time from me :D

13. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

inb4 all mods are outdated by an Engine update which adds all that :D
    Im looking forward to your plans

14. ast5515

ast5515
    Expand Collapse

Lol someone has to make a mod with a cammed V8 where the idle is adjusted with a sinus curve.

15. rocksim

rocksim
    Expand Collapse

I think you mean a sine curve. Also, support for a noisy idle is in game.

16. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Ability to set rough idle would also be cool for some of the highly tuned cars, it could be done like a reversed rev limiter basically :D

17. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Only if there is sound of racket when you undo the manifold bolts.Now remember kids, it is highest point of idle when tune up is best :D

Then again we could hope to have cam timing adjusted, either for hp or torque, naturally it would affect exhaust temps etc.

Ok I have spoiled my self with too much Hot Rod and SLRR, latter being still unsurpassed by any game on many aspects.

18. ast5515

ast5515
    Expand Collapse

We can already do that. Just put "idleRPMRoughness" and a number below the idle RPM in the jbeam.

We probably won't get that, because BeamNG would calculate torque and power based on the timing in real time, which is simply too complicated and has very few benefits. It just doesn't make sense.

19. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

If we some day get that something better which Diamondback teased with, then I can make that happen. I just need to add some +XX and -XX torque rpm bins for few different cams with +2 +4 -2 -4 etc. it really does not need anything else to have reasonable level of such implemented.

So in reality it would be just modder adjusting torque curve with selection of part, but several parts would add up.

Then again I can make cam timing adjustment happen already with current features, I would just make new engine named with all the adjustments done at once user selects a part. So instead of selecting cam timing user would select for example engine that has intake cam timing +2 and exhaust cam timing -2.

If user wants to have tubular exhaust manifold added to that, I would just need to make new engine with all of that. Problem is that listing all the mods and adjustments is bit hard to small space available + modder would need to do whole lot of engines, but it is already possible to have such done.

With formula based method it just would become a lot easier, when you choose cam part that has that +2 and modder needs to just add and subtract from torque curve rpm bins, also it would make more sense to user as user could choose different parts of engine instead of whole engine which is currently needed.

Then again who knows what plans they have, there might be something lot more clever, we just have to wait and see.

20. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Multiple devs now have hinted at big changes/features, but haven't confirmed anything. Looks like they're doing lots of experimentation with this update, parts affecting torque, menu/repo in-game speed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice