1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Update Speculation thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crazikyle, Jan 26, 2016.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Parts affecting torque is probably not in next update, but much later, it is only hinted by Diamondback when he corrected my misunderstanding about expression based variables, which might or might not be in the next update.

This expression based variables only changes variables, I'm not sure if you could do toe in +2 with parts though.

I would think that changing torque by variables/expression is not in next update, but I know very little, Diamondback did mention there is something better coming in pipeline, so something of such is probably in some of future updates.

If I guess blind, maybe end of year or next year?

It might be that even Diamondback is not yet certain about when that are will be enough ready to be included into update, but I do hope very very much that we see such feature, because that would make game again more interesting to new group of modders, which again will make BeamNG world bigger.

2. ast5515

ast5515
    Expand Collapse

Look at the latest entry in development screenshots in the dev section. Looks like you were right.

3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Oooo, oooo, OOOOOhhh, that looks very promising, but that guy is such a tease now, I'm quite sure he is as hyped as we are about possibilities that would allow if it is possible to implement reasonably without braking everything!

When you look at Diamondback's work, you really can see how he loves what he does, BeamNG is so lucky to have him.

If that feature makes it into game some day, I won't have much time for anything else than building all the virtual toys :)

4. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

I'm currently starting to think about what would be the best way to go about a range splitter box for the T-series.
    Ranges could be done by essentially making 2 transmissions attached via halfshafts to a welded diff which would then push the power to the rear wheels.

If I recall correctly there is a way to set one halfshaft connected and the other one disconnected by deafult, but I'm really thinking about a good way of quickly changing between the 2 transmissions.
    It would be cool If they'd implement a better logic system with controllers collecting data imput from certain powertrain segments which could be used to determine which engine to use for eg.
    I'm sure that it would lead to some amazing powertrain solutions in game.

5. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I made 6x6 setup with range box, what I was thinking there when making was that I could just strap another range box there to have splitter and range both, but never tested it.

I just stuffed in another range box now and this is what I got:
    upload_2018-1-20_0-5-37.png

I guess splitter functionality would be dependent now only with what ratios I set to that other rangebox, so that splitter rangebox ratio change between high and low is less than one full gear in gearbox, would it work like that?

I'm not saying anything about several engines, that will go over my head too much.

Oh and I guess I would need to create key binding/slot to have splitter mapped to controller button which would then toggle splitter from high to low, but I don't know how to do that.

6. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

I've also have experimented with range boxes, but what they do is divide the ratio of a selected gear by the amount to set it to. But what splitter should be is just half gear between the two gears.
    So if you have 5 and 6th gear with ratio of lets say 0.90 and 0.70, there would be a half gear of 0.80 between them. But what is actually happening with lo/hi box in game is:
    If we have a high range ratio of 1.0 and the low range of 1.5 the 6th gear in low range would actually have highier ratio than the high 5th which would actually defeat the purpose of the range box as it is mosst commonly used at highier speeds.

7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, Splitter box is just like another gearbox, but is it then before gearbox or after?

I found ratio is 0.51:1 for H and probably 1:1 for L
    upload_2018-1-20_12-38-7.png

So I would put low ratios from gears 1,3,5,7,9 into gearbox and then have splitter to do rest of ratios on H.
    upload_2018-1-20_12-38-42.png upload_2018-1-20_12-38-21.png

Ok, it seems I can't have rangebox(splitter) before gearbox, or then I did something wrong, but this is what I get:
    upload_2018-1-20_12-59-32.png upload_2018-1-20_12-59-49.png

If I place splitter after gearbox, that is not really splitting gears, however it starts to go over my head with all these ratio multiplications as of why situation would be different for before gearbox and after gearbox, I mean half should be half, right?

Yellow is range box, blue/purple is splitter box, this is setup game accepts, but if I move that splitter box to between torqueconverter and gearbox I get clutch child issue:
    upload_2018-1-20_13-5-21.png

8. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

From what I understand it works kind of like a separate gearbox itself which you change to by using the splitter (?)
    I wasn't able to find any proper material on google on how does a real range splitter box work which I'd be able to understand.
    The main problem is that you have to change the gear ratio of each specific gear which means that it would be like having a separate range selector for each gear?
    --- Post updated ---
    Nevermind... I've found this https://www.beamng.com/threads/t-series-range-splitter-transmissions-barstow-overdrive.47848/

It actually works quite well.
    --- Post updated ---
    My brain just gave up when it came to doing all of the gear ratio calculations :D

9. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It has input shaft and output shaft, two gear ratios, same as range box, also it has a clutch brake that slows down input shaft(?) when shifting, it is just another box in driveline, at least what I can see or understand.

Looks like gearbox parent needs to be viscous coupling device while rangebox is not, but then again my brain is trying to tell me it is same if you split gearbox input or output rpm by 0.51 you should get half the gear, however all these ratios are bit much for this old brain.
    upload_2018-1-20_13-20-7.png

I don't really know why it is then that when I use splitter I don't get quite same gear spacing as is indicated by documents I posted earlier, only reason I can think of is that splitter box needs to be before gearbox?

10. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

The transmissions are forced to be connected to a clutch like device, not because this is technically required, but to help prevent screw ups with powertrain setups.
    Just put the range box behind the transmission, apart from a few little details when it comes to shifting it's the same.

11. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I did that, but I'm still not getting quite same behavior as documentation of real world ratios claims, of course wheel size is variable that can be bit different, but from previous gear high to next gear low there is hardly any change in rpm, but 1st high to 2nd low should be like 2nd to 3rd in pic, earlier post has ratios too, which I put into my configuration files:
    upload_2018-1-20_14-41-55.png upload_2018-1-20_14-48-17.png It's from pdf with filename of roadranger-eaton-fuller-heavy-duty-rtlo-10-transmissions.pdf

Another thing is that Front diff looks like to have wheel RPM while rear diffs have higher rpm, I'm not sure if that is a bug or something I don't understand, I thought that maybe lock torque is not enough and something is slipping, but then again that does not make sense either:
    upload_2018-1-20_14-43-52.png upload_2018-1-20_14-44-22.png

I do have a torque converter of course, but also I have lock up clutch that is set so that it is locked always from 2nd gear on.

This is all very interesting, while bit confusing and I'm afraid this should be at mod support rather that update speculation.

Extract zip to documents/vehicles/semi and load provided config if you wish to have a play.

Attached Files:

12. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Dunno, I'd first try to get rid of the all the auto stuff, make it a proper manual then add one splitter behind that.
    if it's a splitter or a range box should really only be a control thing, the layout should be the same.

13. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Sadly no avail, here I'm shifting from 6th to 7th which is 3rd high to 4th low:

My rangebox has rations 1:1 and 4:1, splitter box has ratios of 0.51:1 and 1:1 and gearbox has ratios of [-12.51, 0, 9.91, 5.57, 3.12, 1.78, 1.0] as specified in Fuller manual.

rangebox is on high so that is 1:1 ratio, splitter goes form high to low so that is from 0.51:1 to 1:1 and gearbox goes from 3.12:1 to 1.78:1 so with splitter shift is going from 3.12:1 to 3.49:1 however in real world data we can see that is not the case, from engine speed goes by realworld data 1700rpm to 1300rpm which must mean that instead of multiplying gearbox ratio, something else is multiplied by splitter box.

What that other could be then? I think that there are something more to splitter box than meets the eye.

I don't get much out from that service manual either, but it has lot of gears and operational stuff, that is actually twin splitter, but I guess they work the same.

Update: Aha, I found out that I learn again something :D

While what I found was that splitter box would have 0.51:1 ratio, by calculating ratio from gearing I got 0.75:1 instead, using that value splitter works as I originally thought that it should, so no problems there.

So when low has gear ratio of 9.91 and high has gear ratio of 7.48, you just do Splitter ratio = 1-7.48/9.91 and that is how you should be able to calculate what really is splitter ratio, no need to find data from the box.

It would be nice that with passion would come the brain, but usually opposite is true :p

Ok, so how to do twin splitter then, that gets complicated, but two range box both should have low of 1:1, then you would have to do some controller magic to switch low and high status of those two so that low is both 1:1, medium is one range box 1:1 other for example 0.75:1 and high would be both 0.75:1 which should result total of 0.5:1

So difficult part comes from getting that three state splitter controller to be made of or two state if using single splitter.

Attached is my proof of concept version, which does not have a controller so that I could add controller buttons to switch splitter up and down, because I have no idea how to make such, until I study more, but you can use splitter from the UI to test that it really works as it should, despite transmission being manually operated automatic.

Attached Files:

#8993 fufsgfen, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  14. Meridius

Meridius
    Expand Collapse

have the devs ever confirmed/hinted on the following features...?
    - scratches
    - particle effects
    - airbags
    - breakable car parts

15. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

The devs have:

-attempted dynamic scratches with limited success. Feature is not believed to be in any sort of serious development at the moment.
    -successfully implemented particle effects. You'll notice black "dust" and sparks flying any time you crash at a significant speed.
    -repeatedly confirmed that airbags are not planned.
    -Implemented a system that allows certain parts to "rip open", most notably the main body of the tanker trailer and the ambulance box on the H-series. IMO, it's a little overactive, often removing large chunks of the object and creating "floating" debris.

16. Meridius

Meridius
    Expand Collapse

I see, thanks..

I guess I won't see these properly implemented until someone decides to create their own "crash simulator" with UE4 or some other - more versatile engine. :(

It makes me wonder, what's next for BeamNG then? Adding cars/maps..? Seems like the hit a wall with Torque3D. Seeing how WCUSA is a stuttery mess /and it doesn't even have any dynamic objects/ bigger maps seem to be a no-go aswell.

#8996 Meridius, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  17. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Making T3D better most likely should be their main goal right now, just edit the engine until it's basically a new engine. That way feature implementation (multiplayer, Vulkan, PBR) is easier and better working.
    Just a thought, though.

18. Djplopper

Djplopper
    Expand Collapse

T3D is basically developed by the BNG team right now, i think it's difficult for them when you have 4 years of work put into the game, some of the oldest stuff was made a lot of time ago, it's not easy to keep the pace, to realize the amount of work the devs are doing on the background stuff just look at the sunburst rear door panel, it hasn't been fixed for ages

19. Glitchy

Glitchy
    Expand Collapse

w
    Sorry if this sounds stupid, but what is wrong with the Sunburst rear door panel?

20. Djplopper

Djplopper
    Expand Collapse

It is extremely low poly and unrefined compared to the rest of the car, it was a feature that passed under the radar because of the big changes this game had

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice