1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Update Speculation thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crazikyle, Jan 26, 2016.

1. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

The problem is that beams in BeamNG can only lengthen and shorten, they cannot bent. Thus in the tire simulation
    BeamNGdrive-017129059-RELEASE-x642019_10_2010_46_45.png
    The contact patch cannot be affected by underinflation and overinflation, only the tire spring and damp is affacted.
    bngtireinflation.png

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
  2. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

The main problem with BeamNG is how realistic it is, there is a limit to what you can perceive through a computer monitor, thus in normal games everything is over exaggerated so it looks and feels right.

BeamNG is correct, but the problem is that it doesn't feel correct speed wise. Motion blur would help massively, but there are no problems with handling.

I just wish there were tyre thermals, so you would say need to warm the tyres up to get optimal friction. Or have the damage implemented, as just slamming brakes on and screeching to a stop, at the moment is like cheating.. as the brakes dont warm up you can keep doing it for ages, it'd be nice for tyre thermals (and mayybe tyre flatspots but i think this would be hard to implement)

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. ARES IV

ARES IV
    Expand Collapse

I disagree. I personally feel that BeamNG is the best car game that I ever played in this regard. Both visually and physically. Things feel fast and the realistic physics and the resulting forces (and how powerless you actually are after a loss of control at 200 km/h) make it quite fun to drive.

We do have brake thermals. Or did you mean something else?

Hard braking from high speeds or repeated hard braking at lower speeds can cause brake overheat just like in real life... with similar catastrophic results. Different brake types (Drum/disc) too. Drums require a while to cool down...... "Dear bus passangers... i am sorry but the brakes just failed downhill due to overheat. Please stay calm while I get some help" --> leaves the bus

• Like Like x 3
  4. CrashHard

CrashHard
    Expand Collapse

If you underinflate the tire more of the tire nodes will be on the ground at the same time, and you will have more grip (For when you need the get up a steeper hill)
    Tire.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

he means when the brakes are locked up, the brakes are no longer doing very much since rotation has stopped, only the tires' traction is slowing the vehicle, which we don't have thermals of.

so locking up causes the brakes to stop heating up, which is normal, but then the tires bear all the load and don't heat up or wear out, which isn't normal.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. robert357

robert357
    Expand Collapse

What is touching point? Only nodes? If yes then only nodes on the left and right side of the tyre are not enough.

Also what he meant is deformation of beams between nodes on left side and right side of the tyre.

Normal pressure
    screenshot_2019-10-20_17-40-44.png screenshot_2019-10-20_17-40-54.png

10 psi
    screenshot_2019-10-20_17-41-23.png screenshot_2019-10-20_17-41-43.png

This red point is called "contact point" in debug. On flat surface it will be on the centre. However on that curb that point is on the edge, because there are no nodes in the middle of the tyre that could make contact.
    screenshot_2019-10-20_17-52-18.png screenshot_2019-10-20_17-52-29.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't collision triangles what establish contact between surfaces in Beam? A node is just a single point in space. It has a contact area of zero on its own. Surely if the nodes were the points of contact, most obstacles would simply clip through the tires, which they don't.

Attached Files:

• screenshot_2019-10-20_17-23-54.png
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. robert357

robert357
    Expand Collapse

Ah, yes. I forgot about that. But still these are flat surfaces that don't bend on the middle which was the point.

PS. However nodes are points that touching the surface. "Collision" don't prevent clipping. It just checks if there something between nodes?
    Example on bumper, but you can see similar thing on screenshots above.
    screenshot_2019-10-20_18-53-54.png screenshot_2019-10-20_18-54-41.png

#17988 robert357, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  9. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

True they don't bend, though the representations we see of over and under-inflated tires are quite exaggerated. I'm fairly certain in reality almost 100% of the tire is on the ground (remember there is usually over 1 ton of weight on the tires), but there is more pressure from the ground acting on some areas than others, causing extra friction, and therefore extra wear.
    In reality grip has more to do with how easily the tire will deform and "hug" the terrain, which happens in Beam if you modify the pressure as seen in Crash Hard's screenshot. So I would say the relationships between pressure and tire grip are quite accurate as of now, though of course there is always room for improvement ;)

Bear in mind the curving effect of the tire does influence grip, but I'd say it's a small contribution compared to the tire's overall deformation, so it might not impact the simulation in any perceivable way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Collision triangles from what I know only collide with other jbeamed structures, they aren't able to collide with static objects (map)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

If that's the case, I wonder how it's handled, surely they can't use the nodes for collisions as they're relatively few and far between in the structure, right?

12. Littleturdlet

Littleturdlet
    Expand Collapse

Only nodes can collide with static objects.

13. KrukasKlep

KrukasKlep
    Expand Collapse

To be honest, this talk about rubber is getting Tireing.
    Aight imma commit not alive now :]

Lets switch it up by talking about story related things, for instance things like new Campaigns for maps like Derby, Hirochi raceway, Utah, Etcetera.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  14. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Etcetera looks like it'll be a great map when it get's released, I'm so excited for it.
    /s

OT: I really hope career mode has a variety of full racing series to take part in. Or make these into individual campaigns if career mode takes a different route. I really want it to be a "work your way up the ranks of these racing disciplines" instead of a "show up to anything and win the entire championship in 30mn" sorta deal. I want the satisfaction of working my way up to racing touring cars on Belasco raceway, not just get there after 15mn of gameplay and move on to the next thing.

Ex: Legal drag racing. Show up for a weekend "run what you got" deal and drag race the Pigeon that the player will inevitably start with and actually work your way up through more and more competative classes and end up with pro-mods or something, with the satisfaction and experience of having earned that. Toss in optional events for special vehicles that can't make up a full class in the series, like drag racing JATO busses.

Also, I wonder if Automation Track will be used in anything other than hot lapping. It's the only non-American track we have right now, so it would be really useful. Just make Automation into some sorta fourth wall breaking in universe company or something...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. RecklessRodeo

RecklessRodeo
    Expand Collapse

Career mode should also have junkyards and barnfinds! That would be fun.

• Agree Agree x 8
  16. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

A physical junk yard would be difficult to pull off without either pulling the player out of the immersion or killing the graphics card. The original videos talking about career mode said "buy and fix up junkers" so some sorta system for buying used cars, perhaps an online marketplace, has to be around. As for barnfinds, I certainly hope to see them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. falcon xr8

falcon xr8
    Expand Collapse

For the Junkyard part i am hyped, I hope they add more rusty skinns to all the cars, ( as well as the Grand marahals old paint )
    I also hope they add old paint to the old cars. Like a Old paint Blubuck ( not just rusty )

Also i cant wait to see the remaster H-series and D-series

I can wait to see the wendover

Bring the remasters

Oh both will be good :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

When we get the remasters, can we please finally have some racing springs and shocks for the D-series? It needs them badly.

• Like Like x 1
  19. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

in the updated hirochi raceway, there's a car-sized barn down one of the old side roads, and the door has no collision.

• Informative Informative x 5
  20. RecklessRodeo

RecklessRodeo
    Expand Collapse

Imagine playing career mode and you find a rusty Bolide in there! Junkyards/Barnfinds would also make great use of the car saver thingy.

• Agree Agree x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice