1. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

User Interface Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leeloo, Dec 2, 2021.

1. SKB

SKB
    Expand Collapse

seems like theres a ram leak or something, again, because my UI (gauge cluster, pedal axes etc) started to lag after spawning and customizing a few cars..

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. ThatCarGuyDownTheStreet

ThatCarGuyDownTheStreet
    Expand Collapse

this already exists
    Also the new UI is wayyyyyyyy faster and more responsive. Huge improvement, well done.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Did you enable triple monitor in Options > Display?

4. Koichiro Iketani

Koichiro Iketani
    Expand Collapse

I agree with the fact that the main menu should unload everything, for the rest i think they UI is great, it isn't any slower than the old one for me, and the bugs will surely be fixed in the next hotfixes
    --- Post updated ---
    That's an actual clickable button by the way. Yeah they should have added something to show when the game is paused or not but even without it i think you can tell

5. Tare

Tare
    Expand Collapse

Visualy, UI looks great, but there seem to be a few bugs like radial menu not appearing after some time playing and not working until you change map or restart game.
    I love this game and would like to see this fixed.
    Cheers! (;

#85 Tare, Dec 3, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

I wish we still had the radial menu, it wa every nice. I’m also not really sure how to get to the ai menu either. But those are very minor complaints. The ui is noticeably faster, as well as spawning cars. Huge improvement

It’s gonna take me a long time to get used to. I keep hitting escape and looking to the left and getting confused lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SKB

SKB
    Expand Collapse

radial menu exists. either use left stick press or 'E'.

• Like Like x 1
  8. randorecruit12

randorecruit12
    Expand Collapse

You read my mind.

9. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

My thoughts:

Positives:

I love the new visual direction, and the sounds! It feels a lot more refined than the old one.

It's definitely faster than the old UI, but first load caching still takes some time especially with the customization and vehicle select menus. Would background precaching be possible?

The map is fantastic, and feels like something out of a AAA game.

Negatives:

The new pause menu seems very quick to break the radial menu functionality for an entire play session, as well as trapping DPad functionality more often than not. When using LB/RB to select tabs, hitting the main menu tab effectively captures the controller and requires closing and reopening the menu. These make playing with only a controller (EG in a home theater setup) very difficult.

Unless I missed it, I'd like the opportunity to go through my mods one at a time after an update. All I noticed was the all-or-nothing button. I know some will have breaking issues with the new update.

The map icons are very small at 4k.

------

Overall, I'd like to see improved controller-friendliness. Ideally, I'd like to be able to control the entire game with a gamepad, without ever having to reach for a keyboard or mouse. The radial menu I felt was a step in the right direction and this obviously had thought put in as to controller functionality in the new menu, but some recurring issues above are making most of that effort moot at the moment.

Beam is a very complex game with a lot of functions, and I imagine mapping them all to a controller is quite difficult. Personally,

* I'd like to see 'slow' functions like resetting the car relegated to submenus like the radial, with functions for actually controlling the car (E.G. headlights, turn signals) taking precedence for direct inputs. Recover I think should also retain a direct input.

* The ability to access vehicle custom functions with a controller (E.G. the ones that appear in the top right when loading a new vehicle) would be nice. Maybe as a feature of the radial? Same for lockable diffs and NOS, if they aren't there already.

* I'd like to see the radial menu slow the physics simulation speed substantially when opened, so it can be used on the move. On that same note, maybe it can override the camera stick instead so we can continue to use steer, throttle, and brake in the background. Additionally, maybe add a visual effect to the game like desaturation or sepia while the radial is open, to help convey the radial is slowing down gameplay while you use it. Possibly also move the radial to the side so the car/road can still be seen while it is open.

* Having a separate pause physics and pause menu button feels like it unnecessarily wastes buttons. Adding a 'photo mode' to the pause menu that hides the UI would retain largely the same functionality of being able to pause physics while controlling the camera ingame, but not require two separate buttons be taken away from the realtime simulation mode on controller. This way, camera switch could be moved back to select/back and B could be freed for other functionality. On keyboard the current pause physics button could be rebound to a photo mode hotkey to retain functionality there, while keeping feature parity between keyboard and controller.

* I miss the ability to zoom the camera in orbit mode, but this is an understandable removal and reclaiming B/Y makes sense. Adjusting FP-FOV didn't need two buttons on the controller either, since most players are going to want to set it once and forget it. Maybe more detailed camera controls could be available through the proposed 'photo mode' above? For example going into freecam automatically, and having a set of controller inputs for manipulating freecam? And then automatically returning to the previous camera mode when 'photo mode' is exited? Maybe have near/normal/far default zoom levels for the camera that can by cycled through with the camera select button, like GTA V?

* Resetting the car or switching cars over a certain distance should use the map zoom effect to hide some of the asset pop and associated microstutter from instantly teleporting a significant distance.

* The ability to use the dpad to control a 'virtual cursor' for keyboard-driven menus has been nice, if obviously a kludge. I'd like to see this slowly phased out in favor of dedicated controller controls, like the LB/RB tab switching on the new pause menu.

----------

Apologies if any of the above are already in the game, I didn't have a lot of time to poke around.

#89 pulley999, Dec 3, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

that's for all effects
    i just want the annoying boink noise to be contollable

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mumia76

Mumia76
    Expand Collapse

It is theoretically possible that it might be faster on slower computers while slower on fast ones.
    --- Post updated ---
    --- Post updated ---Stop
    --- Post updated ---

FFS stop automerging my posts, they are completely unrelated to each other and I want to post them seperately!

I noticed another issue with the new UI, until now when I went directly to the car selection or configuration menu by pressing CTRL-E or CTRL-W pressing esc returned me to the game. But now pressing esc brings me to the main menu instead, I have to press ESC twice to get back to the game. Granted it is not a big issue but still a step back in usability.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BenediktBjorgv

BenediktBjorgv
    Expand Collapse

I love this game as much as the next one but this UI update is in my opinion absolute trash. I don't like the look of it and why have the locations of the buttons changed? I would much rather have the old UI and slower speed than this one. This is the only update I have disliked since I started playing the game and I have over 1000 hours put into it. It would be awesome if one could choose between this and the old one but I think that will be highly unlikely.

13. trm7

trm7
    Expand Collapse

New menu is... alright. I think it def looks more polished idk about speed cause mods are what usually caused the menus to become laggy and unresponsive especially the car selector and configuration ones. Reason most people say its quicker is cause they probably dont have 250 mods installed and activated for once so the menus actually function. I like the new over view map. The new menu as a whole feels a little clunky to me to use though.(will probably feel better though once i memorize it) All in all i feel the new menu is probably better but personally id take the old menu any day.

14. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

New UI is just fine. It could use some work and I wish it was like the teaser back in 2016, but I like it. Only a couple of gripes:

1. The default controller layout is just kinda real bad. I have my control setup in Beam exactly the same way as the default Forza layout and there are a lot of issues. Chief among which is backing out of a menu and upshifting for me. There needs to be some form of intelligence implemented so when you're in the menu, car control is disabled. The car stops when you access, say, the map anyway. I don't see a reason as to not have it completely change control scheme. Backing out of a menu and upshifting at the same time is INCREDIBLY annoying and I've just plain run out of buttons on a standard Xbox One controller. I'm not buying an Elite controller just to have more buttons so I can use the new UI on a couch or in bed.

2. The UI is perfectly fast with all mods disabled. However, the radial menu does not pull up pressing down the left stick. This seems to be intermittent across the community.

3. The UI is still dreadfully slow with mods. I don't know if there's anything you all can do about that, though.

4. Fix the damn memory leak! I have 32GB of ram in my machine and I've been running out playing freeroam. This is gonna sound harsh, but that's pretty unacceptable if you ask me.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. SKB

SKB
    Expand Collapse

I noticed this. Posted it somewhere in UST, me with 4gb ram, much more noticeable lol

16. shanie

shanie
    Expand Collapse

When viewing options on my machine while ingame, the viewport becomes extremely stretched:

The minimap is unusable with TrackIR as the camera for it takes TrackIR input, and it seems to be at 3000x scale, i.e., if you even twitch it will spin very fast:

Control assignment is still extremely slow and clunky to use.

Otherwise, pretty good job, thanks for the update! Rest of UI is much nicer to use. New car materials are impressive. However I really hated how basically all my controls were changed, I never changed them from the defaults in 0.23 and got used to them, but now they are completely unrecognisable, and there isn't a backup I can see. I mean two buttons to access the minimap is quite unnecessary imo. But, minor issue, I dont even use many of the controls.

Also how does one now activate the police car siren, I tried M but it brings up the minimap, and I can no longer find the "M" function of the car entry in controls, which is what it was assigned to previously. Maybe a little help message on first launch after the update noting control changes etc. would be nice I guess, but i understand its more of a luxury feature.

Also, repairing the car resets cameras now which I think should be a toggleable option, Im not a fan personally. As well as this it would be amazing if you could add a toggle to turn off the emulated camera roll with TrackIR, i tried the lock to horizon slider but it doesnt do much. It's unrealistic, kicks in at the wrong times and is nauseating (understandable since its emulated, but toggle would be good)

#96 shanie, Dec 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. angelo234

angelo234
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer
    BeamNG Team

The UI definitely has a resource leak issue:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  18. trm7

trm7
    Expand Collapse

well this explains why the ui gets laggy fast for me making it hard to tell when to shift

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Yes sir ! Totally agree ! BUT we don't want to see the CEF disappear completely. As I just managed to get gauge needles (oops mod spoiler) to work with html texture last week I can say that this is next gen dash rendering. With working needles in html we can design modern instrument clusters as we first saw in the Mercedes E Class for example. Nowadays these screens are used in so many vehicles that this is a feature we don't want to miss out on. Please read further below :p

But on the side of general UI this html/browser experience gets kinda laggy and in my personal opinion is totally obsolete, or
    superfluous if you will. But I DO understand that for most mainstream users of the day eye candy as well as performance are desired, an establishment easier said than done ! For me personally, I wouldn't mind looking at a good old DOS or LINUX like UI experience, which by the way, on the Linux side, could be pretty eye candied as well these days :) How to accomplish, I have to rely on your reply for now, Diamondback, it might not be that simple given the current structure of the runtime.

• Like Like x 3
  20. angelo234

angelo234
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer
    BeamNG Team

Maybe the devs could still include CEF in the game to support older UI apps, but have the option to use the newer GUI framework if the user wants for big performance gains with a disclaimer stating that older UI apps won't be compatible with it. Honestly they could write their own GUI code for the main menu and the non UI app stuff since it really isn't super difficult to make one (simple geometry + shaders and just use existing UI textures), and use some immediate mode GUI library/framework for UI app stuff (the World Editor actually uses Dear ImGui which shows what its capable of).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice