1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

vehicle damage in beamng

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Raceboy77, Oct 27, 2018.

?

do you agree with me ?

1. yes

7.1%
  2. no

64.3%
  3. a little

28.6%
  1. Raceboy77

Raceboy77
    Expand Collapse

i have noticed that when crashing a car in beamng, that on some occasions the damage is actually not realistic, even though the game is considered a simulator (and i know there are other parts to a simulation game as well, but this one seems to be focused on vehicle damage). What i mean by this is if you crash a car at 60, 70, 80, or even 90mph in real life the car would be utterly destroyed and would not even be able to start. but do that in beamng and (on some occasions the car won't be drivable but on most it still is) the car's engine still starts as if it was made out of bedrock (minecraft style). Another problem is the lack of scratches and dents on the cars after a crash (say rollover), or the fact that when cars catch fire they should burn down to almost nothing (and yes not a lot of computers can handle fire that actually burns, but computers should be able to handle at least the color changing to black/charcoal). So my question is are there any plans to fix these common issues with the game's simulated damage system.

2. Giraffinator

Giraffinator
    Expand Collapse

I agree that sometimes the engine block seems to be too strong, but the game is still in alpha, and subject to change.

Though, it would add to the realism, I'm not sure if it's possible to simulate scratches in a realistic way with Torque3D.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Cheekqo

Cheekqo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

The situation presented in the first point is not valid.
    Though a 60-90 MPH crash will utterly destroy a car, this is the same case in BeamNG.
    In most scenarios a 60-70 MPH crash with a BeamNG car will not be able to drive, while 80 and above will utterly destroy the car leaving it unable to drive and most likely unable to run.
    The first questions to ask are:
    1. Did you try this with a car that is a mod, because while creating a car as a mod, you are able to set engine tolerance to damage.
    2. What vehicles did you try this with?
    3. What angle did you crash into the object?
    Second point:
    The dents and scratches thing has been addressed hundreds, if not, thousands of times by official and often times unofficial sources.
    The answer all of the time is:
    No, most computers would not be able to run this.
    Burnt car point:
    While this isn't realistic for a car to be up in flames and still remain undamaged aside from the tires, it is rather unlikely for a car to catch fire from a crash in BeamNG depending on which car it is and what the speed of the crash was.
    However, this issue is not common enough to likely be addressed and sorted soon and the fact that most computers would have a tough time running this, that would be a no.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Spede3

Spede3
    Expand Collapse

Have you played this game before?

Beam is still in development and somethings you listed would cause a lot of lag for pretty much any system. In Beam the cars deform instead of breaking apart like cars in real life. I'm not sure what you mean about dents seems as that is technically deformation which is already in beamng. Scratches would cause alot of trouble to implement because the only reasonable way to do it would be to have textures appear on the body of the car whenever it makes contact with something which would cause a lot of lag if you do unrealistic crashes with the spinner etc. Cars actually don't turn to ashes since they are made of mostly metal. Turning the cars black with burn marks would be the same deal as the scratches, a lot of textures loading at once.

Engines are strong sometimes but if they weren't it would be like the radiator damage when it was first introduced where the slightest bump would kill it. But I have never had a car be able to drive after a 90 mph crash.

5. Raceboy77

Raceboy77
    Expand Collapse

I've been play beam for well over 2 years, and 70 percent of the crashes i do are with the base game vehicles
    --- Post updated ---
    and like i said on some occasions the won't be drivable in beam but like 80 percent of the time it still can
    --- Post updated ---
    and btw when is say 60-90mph crashes and not being drivable i mostly mean engine damage

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice