Vehicle Specific Force Feedback and Steering Wheel Soft Lock

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by AbdullahBemath27, Oct 5, 2018.

1. AbdullahBemath27

AbdullahBemath27
    Expand Collapse

Vehicle Specific FFB

The basic idea is that each vehicle has its own FFB just as cars in real life provide a unique through-the-wheel-feel. Heavy vehicles with power steering and large tires may have less forceful FFB and almost no through-the-wheel-feel whereas light vehicles without power steering will allow you to feel the smallest changes in the road surface. I know that this is simulated to an extent but all cars feel as though they do not have power steering and cars of similar weight and class all provide the same FFB.

Steering Wheel Soft Lock

If the car's steering rotation is less than the rotation of your steering wheel, the FFB motor will kick in to prevent the steering from rotating more than the car actually does. Example: If the car has 500 degrees of rotation, then a soft lock of 500 degrees will be applied by the FFB motor.

DISCLAIMER

These suggestions may have already been made, but I have not seen them. These features may already be in the game and my settings may be preventing them from being evident. If so, please let me know.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Each vehicle has its own internal ffb multiplier. These are tuned by hand when we release new vehicles or when we upgrade their physics. They aren't meant to show their absolute values, but rather to make the most out of the very limited motors that most steering wheels have. In other words, to make full use of the ffb range that is available for use.
    You could tweak these coefficients in the jbeam files, e.g. modify all those vehicles you consider "heavy" with double the ffb coefficient, and then these vehicles will clip your motor signal, or alternatively the rest of vehicles will only be using half the strength of your wheel most of the time.

Regarding soft lock, we do not have short term plans to write special code to handle this, but most vehicles present this behaviour already due to the way suspensions are designed and how ffb code works.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

If you have your wheel set properly, that is not too heavy, then this should work:
    upload_2018-11-6_15-47-27.png

By default none of vehicles has power steering, but you can add to it most if not all from parts menu.

When wheel is set so that it will not clip constantly (it must be quite weak, strong ffb always tends to clip, limits of tech), then all cars do feel quite different and power steering option does make very realistic feel, ahem not feel I should say :D

However setting up wheel so that it provides good ffb, without being too strong and giving all different aspects of power steering or non power steering, is not that simple, it takes lot of tweaking.

For T150 wheel, windows control panel strength to 70% and ingame to 120 has been quite good for me, but it kinda varies by wheel etc.

4. AbdullahBemath27

AbdullahBemath27
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the reply. My problem was mostly due to bad FFB settings. The 0.15 update sorted out the problem of all vehicles seeming to have the same steering weight. I however have not experienced any vehicles showing soft lock behavior. This could again be due to my FFB settings or my wheel.

Thank you and the team for your work on the game.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice