Released [VIDEO TUTORIAL] Sketchup to BeamNG with working collision & textures (for noobs)

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by DrowsySam, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Jimmy_The_Alpaca

Jimmy_The_Alpaca
    Expand Collapse

is this what you use for your stuff? if not can you tell me what you use i would like to get into this kinda thing.

2. Zero

Zero
    Expand Collapse

Re: [VIDEO TUTORIAL] Sketchup to BeamNG with working collision & textures (for noobs)

I found a temp solution by making it all in one object, but I still would like a solution for other stuff.

3. Jon

Jon
    Expand Collapse

Is there any downsides off making a complete map in sketchup (whole thing as 1 object)?

Thinking about making a simple testing map (like the grid map in the demo) and don't need terrain or anything like that.

4. TheGamingBear

TheGamingBear
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! Now I can Create something :) ;)

5. Travarmojsije

Travarmojsije
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for this amazing tutorial !!! :D
    Capture.PNG

6. Callisto89

Callisto89
    Expand Collapse

willit also work the same way if I use Autodesk 3ds max ?

7. starki

starki
    Expand Collapse

how do you turn on visibility of collision triangles?
    and is it possible to import model to this game(from autocad, sketchup, 3d max, whatever??) so it can be recognized as terrain so grass, trees, and minor modifications can be added to it in game level editor?
    I ask this because I have some survey points of roads and surrounding terrain in my town in autocad format, I could build road models and surounding terrain, then if it could be imported somehow, it would be cool to drive through your own town..or any real town.

8. pivotman

pivotman
    Expand Collapse

Thanks it works great but if I make something too big, for example I made a giant ramp, it had no collision. After making something different but decently sized, collision worked fine and I did the same exact thing as before, which is what your video told me. I checked and the ramp has no triangles but the shed I made does. Any clue?

9. -tatsu-

-tatsu-
    Expand Collapse

is it best to use sketchup or does rinoceros and maya and 3Ds MAX work too?

10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Sketchup is considered the worst tool. I haven't seen anyone use rhino. 3ds max is used by some.

11. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

I've played with a ketchup for years. I can tell you though, blender is a very simple to use and useful tool especially for this game. Took me 2 days playing with it to learn blender. Had the help of some people but it's not as hard as it looks.

12. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the tutorial! I have got a lot of my sketchup objects working!

The only thing i really need to understand is how to make a proper collision mesh. what program to use? Is there an editor in T3D to make the collision mesh? I guess blender could get the job done if i knew how to use it?

I say this because i made a multistory car park and it really lags the crap out of the physics. It really needs a more simplistic collision model. Using the visible mesh is way to complex for the physics engine. Its not to bad until the wheels start to slip over the surface or you go down a ramp. Then you can really feel the physics slowing down.

msc1.jpg msc2.png

I might try and cut all the detail out of the car park in sketchup so its just the bare essential shape and make it transparent. Then place it over the higher detail car park. Though i wonder if enabling collisions using the visible mesh option on a transparent object would work. I'm off to find out.

But yes, what are the basic things needed to make a collision mesh?

13. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

Nice mesh bud! And it laggs when you just go down the ramp? or when you meet that flat surface? Looks like the parking lot isnt perfectly flat. Realistically they arent but for the sake of beamng physics try to make sure the parking areas are perfectly flat. That would help

14. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

yes mostly just up or down the ramps, but if you start skidding around on any of it, it also lags. The flat bit with the parking spaces between the ramps isn't laggy unless you skid or lose traction on it.

But i have good news!

I spent an hour removing all the detail. Its just the basic physical shape with no unnecessary geometry now. I squared up any round edges too. I left it the exact same size as the original and gave it a unique blank texture covering all of it. I disabled the collisions for the high detail car park and plonked the low detail version exactly over the top (copy and paste the position and rotation from the high detail version). I made sure to enable visible mesh collisions on the low detail car park. Then all i had to do was to use the material editor to make the low detail car park transparent.

in short, Make a low detail copy that represents the physical shape and place it over the original object and make transparent. Just disable collisions on the high detail version and enable them on the low detail one instead.

It works and i can't really notice any lag now. Its a bit of a hack but hey, If you suck at blender and you have a very complex object that lags when you drive on it then this might be a solution for you.

Hope somebody finds this helpful.

15. FunkyHunk

FunkyHunk
    Expand Collapse

Hi, I tried to import a model I've been working on, and I can't get the collision to work properly.
    It is way out of alignment. I followed the tutorial to the letter on the grouping, visible mesh and so on, but it still wont work.
    Any suggestions?

BeamNG 2014-02-26 23-18-54-52.jpg

16. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

Is it positioned on the correct side of the origin point? 1253213415315136513341534153.jpg

17. FunkyHunk

FunkyHunk
    Expand Collapse

Re: [VIDEO TUTORIAL] Sketchup to BeamNG with working collision & textures (for noobs)

Yep. Sure is. Any way of viewing the collision box in sketchup or in beamng editor?

18. Garebear

Garebear
    Expand Collapse

Nothing but success with this! If you follow the tutorial precisely, there should be no problems.

19. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

press L 5 times to see the collision mesh in game. would be interested to see a screen shot of where it thinks the shape is.

I guess you made sure that all the faces were orientated the correct way around and made sure you don't have any texture painted on the inside (Grey) face. Explode all the groups in the model before exporting.

20. Gill554

Gill554
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for that tutorial, I managed to do my very first building :)

Repair Shop.jpg Repair shop2.jpg Repair Shop 3.jpg

Edit: I added pics.

#80 Gill554, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice