Vintage cars

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Speedy_Alex77, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Speedy_Alex77

Speedy_Alex77
    Expand Collapse

I tried to use the 1927s Auriga Heron, but this mod is broken: https://i.gyazo.com/f75cbf37af684c1c08768df8cdc111c8.jpg

2. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

If you click on the landscape icon next to the smile face in the word processor when you post in the forums you can properly embed that Gyazo image.

3. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Pigeons with the superbike engine are actually great race cars. Look up Jimmy Broadbent's stream last month and IRL Piaggio Ape racing

4. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

I am wondering why you would say that you "can't" JBeam a vehicle form the early 1900's. Its actually relatively easy to JBeam the bodywork from those early cars. Infact, I would say that its easier than making modern cars as modern cars you have to take into account designed crumple zones. Sure, because of the thin structures, you need to use a couple none contactable "support" nodes, but half the time you have to do that on modern cars as well on things like the hood.

I will agree that the woefully underpowered engine's would make gameplay with them rather... boring... but if you are using them for "a rush" you would kinda be missing the point of them being in the game. Take Gran Turismo 4 for example. They have a lot of fast cars, and a lot a cars that can be made into fast cars... however, they also have a few novelty cars in the game that they didn't even allow you to race in normal races. Things like the Benz Patent Wagon or the Model T. They were famous cars from history that many people knew about but almost no one in recent times would have had the opportunity to drive or enjoy the experience of one. So they put them in the game for people to enjoy the experience... not to actually be taken seriously in a race (not gonna lie though... take the Model T hard enough into a corner and you can drift that sucker like a king :D). Forza tried to do a similar thing, but they made sure to only take the fastest of the fast cars from that era to make sure that they wouldn't be compromising their "fast gameplay experience" so it kind of defeated the whole point.

Anywho... I am one who would sit in the full support of antique cars being in the game as this will be the closest I would get to having a driving experience of anything like that more than likely. Now if a car like that was added, it could definitely be taken advantage of and be turned into a crazy hot rod or some looney off roader and I would be fine with that... as long as we still get the 25hp 3spd original to enjoy the experience of.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. Speedy_Alex77

Speedy_Alex77
    Expand Collapse

We are able to make cars from 1910s in Automation mods, why not in classic mods ?

6. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

There was a WIP proper mod for a 6x6 truck of this era, not sure if it's still being worked on or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

I'm specially talking about without mods.

8. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

The 600cc that comes in the game gives 80hp to the 540kg Pigeon; it's not bad without mods. And outside of races, the Pigeon has a spot as things like security vehicles, delivery vehicles, etc...

9. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

I was asking myself the same thing because the Pigeon bodywork is about the same way you'd Jbeam a car from ~1910 thin, basic very stiff and thin body work, it'd just be kinda paneled together maybe and really fibreglass racecars are a real challenge.. not so much these pre-war "cars"

I used to experiment with Jbeam.. it's really not that complicated to do something like this.

As for suspension it's just sorta pre-mature Leaf and Beam axle technology mostly I imagine, which is also established as possible in BeamNG, it'd just be crappier and probably very poorly setup.. Idk where people are getting this "impossible" idea from.

My only reasoning behind why it wouldn't make sense is 90% of the appeal to old cars (from this era ~1900) is how jank they were to operate because of their unconventional input designs and layouts.. Cadillac paved the way forward on a lot of that, so I guess you can thank them for something. But BeamNG wouldn't... or kinda gaming in general wouldn't be able to do it justice, and when you have several amazing cars from the 1930s like the Bugatti 35 ect and the Fords among probably numerous others of the time to replicate.. it just seems like a more appealing choice.

But I certainly fail to agree with the notion of "it's impossible"

10. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for the bump.
    I will admit, this post is really informative, but I still think it would be a bad idea to have a pre-war car in the game. Even if you could jbeam them. I'm not even sure you can, but even if you could. I still don't think it would be a good idea. We should give the devs more time to evolve the game first.
    Personally, I don't think the pre-war car thing is affecting all of the community, but I still think people would be happier with a modern car.
    I could be wrong, but it seems like he wouldn't mind having a 30s car in the game.

11. Slugfest

Slugfest
    Expand Collapse

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. appesh1

appesh1
    Expand Collapse

13. Slugfest

Slugfest
    Expand Collapse

I was worried about that, hence the link :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I want you to explain to me why you think it would be impossible to add an old car couldn't be JBeamed? I am not trying to be an ass or anything, I am just confused what people see as a hurdle in the physics engine that needs to be overcome to properly simulate real old prewar cars?

I say this because, if I wanted to, I could go create a Ford Model N Runabout right now if I wanted... with fully realistic material strengths, detachable parts, the whole 9 yards really... but I could do that right now, and there is nothing in the game that would stop me from doing it.

I am just really confused where this notion is coming from.... I am not trying to be an ass, I promise... I am just really missing the entire argument.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Speedy_Alex77

Speedy_Alex77
    Expand Collapse

There is already vintage cars in Automations, I think we can close this post.
    --- Post updated ---
    For example: the Ford Model T have been made by [!] THE LOCAL MIDGET! [!] :

• Like Like x 1
  16. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Tbh, maybe the cars be jbeamed for all I know. I just don't think they're a good idea right now. Also, you're not being an a**. You're curious and rightfully so. Also, I think pre-war cars are kinda cool. I just don't think they're a good idea for the game right now. They might be able to be jbeamed for all I know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice