1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Vulkan API – Feedback, Known Issues, and FAQ

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Car_Killer, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Musicman27

Musicman27
    Expand Collapse

So basically anyone that does not have newer high-performance cards are screwed graphically for now... Yeah, my 4 GB system is being rapidly outpaced by the gaming landscape.

Any news on AMD optimization?

2. vulcan-dev

vulcan-dev
    Expand Collapse

Better than nothing at least, looking forward to the patch notes :)
    And yeah, I might be best off lowering the texture settings since my card only has 8GB VRAM.
    --- Post updated ---
    I'm not sure about AMD on D3D11, @zachariah.74 might know a bit more. But regarding Vulkan, it's still in its early stages. But for me and many others, there's a huge performance gain. It's usually a 40FPS gain for me, tested it on quite a few maps. This might increase or decrease in the future, who knows. But they will definitely be trying to make it work well for all users, including AMD. Also, one of the developers there (I believe Lefteris, aka estama) tests BeamNG on low end hardware. I'm not sure if he's the only one, but I think it's nice that he does it.

And on D3D11, my RTX 2080S also struggles, especially when upping the reflection's update time or changing LOD with Car Killer's mod. But then again, the engine developers (which I don't think there's many of) are working hard in the graphical department, trying to optimise things and make things look better. So things will probably be a lot better in the future :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. EdvinasJ

EdvinasJ
    Expand Collapse

You can also test DXVK to see a third result, perhaps it's better than native D3D11?

4. JlnPrssnr

JlnPrssnr
    Expand Collapse

Out of interest, is the Vulkan renderer using AMD's open source Vulkan Memory Allocator?

5. vulcan-dev

vulcan-dev
    Expand Collapse

Probably, VMA is honestly really neat and a lot of developers use it. I suppose I am a tiny bit curious though

6. Arthur000089

Arthur000089
    Expand Collapse

So, when i try to launch the game in Vulkan mode, nothing appears, but the game runs in the background; and i already tried reinstalling the game, updating my drivers, but it still happens. Specs are: (Laptop) Geforce GTX 1650, AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, Windows 11, 16GB ram. Also the game runs fine in DirectX mode. It doesn't give an error, only when i close the task: "BeamNG.drive 0.31.3.0 0x00000001". Nvidia driver version: Geforce Game Ready 552.12

UPDATE: turns out vulkan was actually running in the integrated processor's graphics card, so i disabled it and it works! it was my problem. i will find a way to keep the nvidia card running with the vulkan runtime.

Attached Files:

• CapturadeTela89.png
    • CapturadeTela90.png
    #426 Arthur000089, Apr 13, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
  7. zachariah.74

zachariah.74
    Expand Collapse

Didn't see the mention so that will explain my late addition to the topic, but for me performance on my AMD GPU with 16GB of vram it seems to just vary wildly between maps in D3D11. Sometimes it works fine, other times im dipping to around 80fps with a single car (first world problems, I know, but sometimes it'll be at my 144fps cap with a single car.)
    "AMD optimisation when?" is a bit of a tin of worms because I don't even know where the problems lie or if the problems exist at all. I can't remember having as frequent inconsistent performance on my old Nvidia. Vulkan, predictably, is iffy for AMD right now and I think the performance gain for me is almost negligible but I need to do some more extensive benchmarking when the next update comes. Barely any point doing it now with the new update very nearly here.

8. Arthur000089

Arthur000089
    Expand Collapse

It seems the game is choosing the wrong GPU and it's not the IGPU fault, any way i could just change the GPU being used by Vulkan?

9. Car_Killer

Car_Killer
    Expand Collapse
    QA / Mod Support
    BeamNG Team

Please report issues only from BeamNG 0.32 from now on :)

Updated known issues are in the first post.

From nice Vulkan news, we fixed a lot of issues again, especially with older graphics cards and Linux

• Like Like x 3
  10. Technological

Technological
    Expand Collapse

With the new update, I've recently been seeing weird flashes on-screen when using traffic (or maybe without). I use Vulkan when I play career mode, and that's when I noticed it. Sometimes it flashes different colors, other times it makes the game look like it has photo mode filter effects applied. It only happens with Vulkan, and the easiest (and maybe only) way to replicate it is to do this:
    - Start BeamNG with Vulkan, with no userfolder (vulkan safe mode without debug I guess)
    - Alt-Enter to go into full screen before clicking on any buttons in the main menu
    - I used different settings than default, but I only changed graphics and traffic settings (change them before loading into a map)... Here they are:
    Screenshot56.png Screenshot57.png Screenshot58.png
    - Go into a map, and spawn traffic, and drive around
    - I find it happens more often if you go down a long stretch of road...

I reinstalled Nvidias newest drivers and used the default driver settings, and it still happens... Also, here's a video

#430 Technological, Apr 20, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Giraffe GoGoGo

Giraffe GoGoGo
    Expand Collapse

Can't launch the game in Vulkan mode. Error:BeamNG.drive 0.32.1.0 0x00000001

(Laptop) Geforce RTX 2060, AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, Windows 10 22H2 19045.4291,16GB ram
    Nvidia driver version: Game Ready 552.22

Already tried:Updating the drivers,Cleaning cache,Trying Safe Mode

#431 Giraffe GoGoGo, Apr 20, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  12. Pr9tkin

Pr9tkin
    Expand Collapse

Is lighting flickering in vulkan mode a known problem?
    Is that the case for everyone, or am I the only one who is so lucky?

#432 Pr9tkin, Apr 22, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  13. Car_Killer

Car_Killer
    Expand Collapse
    QA / Mod Support
    BeamNG Team

Flickering lights were fixed a long time ago, I don't see anything unusual in your video.

14. Sininu

Sininu
    Expand Collapse

I see flickering on the left half of the frame. I just tested and can confirm flickering in Vulkan, but it's super rare on my end, nothing like on the video. Happened like twice in 2 minutes of staring at the game.

15. Pr9tkin

Pr9tkin
    Expand Collapse

The flicker is clearly visible - it hits my eyes, is that why I temporarily stopped using vulkan.. record more videos?
    Yes, that's it, sometimes an object flickers, sometimes a headlight, each card has its own jokes, I started to think that my video card was dying

16. Musicman27

Musicman27
    Expand Collapse

My video card doesn't play nice with Vulcan (as of 0.31). So your better of than I am.

I remember when 4GB of VRAM was good :(

17. 4ypka

4ypka
    Expand Collapse

yes i did look at it and i also have flicker every 20-10 seconds

18. BigBoyFirey

BigBoyFirey
    Expand Collapse

im dumb what does vulkan API do

19. Car_Killer

Car_Killer
    Expand Collapse
    QA / Mod Support
    BeamNG Team

Vulkan is a modern low-level rendering API. In short, it's a different interface that allows games to talk with GPU more efficiently, at the cost of being more complex than older solutions like OpenGL or Direc3D 11.
    Right now, in BeamNG it mostly means that your game will render faster if you have a really fast GPU that needs to wait for your CPU on Direct3D 11 mode, or on very complex maps, you will notice much better performance.
    In the long term, it also allows more optimizations of the game and new shiny graphics features, that wouldn't be feasible to add to D3D11 mode.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Pr9tkin

Pr9tkin
    Expand Collapse

So what's going on with the flickering of the left flashlight or some textures of nearby objects? Can you confirm the problem? I asked the guys to check yesterday and everyone confirmed the problem except the officials)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice