Water flow

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by aljowen, Sep 1, 2013.

1. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Surely if i drive through some water that is flowing in a certain direction my vehicle should be pushed that way as well. No need for any cool water deformation effects, just the water pushing nodes that are submerged.

Reasons:
    • Really cool river crossings
    • Possibility for really cool crashes
    • Log flumes (?) - Because why not
    • Speed boosts (arcade style would be possible) - could lead to interesting (and accuratley repeatable?) crashes

The ground work for this is already in place (water viscosity) all you would need to add is a direction to it as well to incorporate this.

2. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

Ok, going for a log ride in Beamng would blow my mind...

I fully endorse this idea! :cool:

3. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

The water dynamics are going to be greatly improved. The devs just have a crapload of work that they have to do. Also, the point of this game is realism so I don't think speed boosts are gonna happen. (Don't even ask for nitro either)

4. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, because things like; Superchargers, turbochargers, prochargers, meth injection, H2o injection, propane injection, wet/dry nitrous injection, don't exist in the real world, are certainly aren't used in tandem.

And let's say, simulating engine failure after too much, wouldn't be realistic at all.

Now I don't intend to be rude, so forgive the sarcasm. I don't want this simulation to end up like NFSU 2, and it surely won't. But writing off "boosts" as unrealistic isn't quite accurate I think.

They could be implemented (maybe not by the Devs), and could have more effects than just speed.

Example:

A generic V8 muscle car could spawn with a 50 shot kit enabled, and maybe have an option to change to a 100 shot, or 150 shot jet. And let's say...after 5 or more uses, the compression starts to drop in some or all cylinders, or the head gaskets get too hot and a little leaky. Or maybe the cylinder head warps or blows off all together, flys through the hood and you loose a whole engine bank, causing the crank to lose all balance and catastrophic failure ensues.

#4 SleepyPickup, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  5. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Before this escalates i am going to talk more about what i meant by "speed boosts"

All you would have to do is have some water with no texture that acts as a stream pointing in a certain direction. Not some extra feature. I am just suggesting that this water flow system could be used (/abused) to create speed boosts. But a good use of this is water that has been set up to propel a car at 40mph into a wall. Hence you can create easily repeatable crash tests.

Also think about aqua jets in pools, they use this exact principle so if you were to have a floating block of water with high pressure flow in one direction then yes, it would push/ "boost" the object in a certain direction. Just like if you pushed a beach ball with a high pressure jet wash.

6. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

The problem with that is that the engine and all it's components would have to be simulated just like the rest of the car. Not only would this take an agonizing amount of time and work to do, but it would just put unnecessary load on people's computers and suck FPS.

7. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I understand, wishful thinking I suppose. :)

8. xypex982

xypex982
    Expand Collapse

After hearing about automation joining forces with beamNG I hope automation could take on some of the engine simulations mentioned. However you are right in that optimization will be monumental to keep FPS up. :/

9. Chernobyl

Chernobyl
    Expand Collapse

great idea maby when its released in beta form

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice