[Website Suggestion] Revamped Resource Categories

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Derpitron, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Derpitron

Derpitron
    Expand Collapse

Currently, Mod Discovery is quite tedious. The current Resource categories are too broad, and lump together different types of mods within one or two categories, and makes it so that the user has to wade through many irrelevant mods in order to find the one type of mod they're looking for.

E.g, if I am looking for an Engine Swap for the Ibishu 200BX, I'd have to either:
    1. Scroll through multiple categories like Land and Configurations, sorting manually through a large list of mods which I'm not interested in
    2. Use the Search feature of this website, which often returns results from the Forums, as well as broken and outdated links
    3. Open BeamNG.drive and use the in-game repository's search tool, which is very laggy
    Thus, in order to improve the user experience in the repository, I suggest the following:
    1. Make new categories of resources, with concise descriptions of what each category is. This will help clear the ambiguity between categories such as Mods of Mods and Land
    2. Fix the search tool to not return broken links, or results from the forums
    3. Allow mods to be in multiple categories. (E.g a parts mod which adds new engines and configs for a modded vehicle falls under both Configurations and Mods of Mods, but currently it can only exist under one category.)

My suggestions for new resource categories is as follows:
    Code:
    Vehicles
    ├-Land
    │ ├-Standalone Vehicle
    │ ├-Parts
    │   ├-Wheels and Tires
    │   ├-Powertrain/Performance
    │   └-Cosmetics
    │     ├-Skins and Liveries
    │     ├-Cosmetic Parts
    │     └-License Plates
    │ └-Automation
    ├-Air
    ├-Sea
    ├-Props
    ├-Configurations
    └-Sounds
      ├-Powertrain Sounds
      └-Siren Sounds

Environment
    ├-Terrain, Levels, and Maps
    │ ├- Scenic (e.g Rocky Coast USA)
    │ └- Playground (e.g Carkour, Car Jump Arena)
    ├-
    ├- Track Builder
    └- Scenarios

Mods of Mods*
    UI Apps
    Reshade Presets (Would be useful for sharing and making graphics mods)
    I understand that porting the thousands of existing resources over to this new categories system would require a lot of work, and that if resource categories are ever revamped or improved, then it may not be as large as my suggestion.

*Currently, the Mods of Mods category has many mods which are not actually mods of existing mods. Rather, many of them are miscellaneous parts mods (e.g Gavril Bluebuck Resto-Mod - Bastion Swap, Civetta Bolide Small Pack, etc. which cannot be classified into Land or Configurations categories. Under my suggested category system, these mods would fit into the Cosmetic Parts categories, and so Mods of Mods would be used properly by actual mods of pre-existing mods.

#1 Derpitron, Jun 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice