What Crossover / Minivan to Buy

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by JDMGuy, Aug 7, 2016.

1. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

If all else fails buy an old wagon because wagons are awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Carbender

Carbender
    Expand Collapse

I currently work at a Chrysler dealership in Canada and have been in nearly all of the new vehicles. I can tell you that you can get a 2015 (1 year old) vehicle with like 25,000 km (16,000 Miles) or less for a lot cheaper than a new one and in almost new condition because a family traded it in for a new vehicle after getting a good offer but if you want new then that's your choice.

Speaking of choices lets get to the vehicles.

From my experience and following you're new vehicle preference and 20k USD price range I'd say you'd want to go with a Grand Caravan, or a Dodge Journey. Both of which you could get a higher end model of with NAV, Heated Seats, Power Seats, Etc.

Now if you'd like to think about getting a used vehicle here are some examples of what i was talking about below;

2015 Dodge Journey ($18,966 Converted to USD) --LINK--

2015 Dodge Grand Caravan ($19,729 Converted to USD) --LINK--

*Links are Canadian so in CAD

Don't get a Cherokee they're way too small for what you've mentioned above.

BTW When buying see how low you're dealership will go and than go to another Chrysler dealership and compare rates whatever dealership is higher to go it and say the other is offering *blah blah blah* and say you think you're going to side with them (Dealerships HATE this because sales guys are payed with commission so they'll do whatever they can to get you to buy from THEM.)

Hopefully this was helpful :) Have a great day.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JDMGuy

JDMGuy
    Expand Collapse

Thank you! I live in Canada, too. So could you convert those to CAD?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Carbender

Carbender
    Expand Collapse

Just click on the links, those are in CAD but remember you those aren't solid prices so don't get scared, you can always talk them down. btw which part of Canada?

5. JDMGuy

JDMGuy
    Expand Collapse

North Ontario.
    --- Post updated ---
    We are only buying from our local chrysler dealer.

6. Evon117

Evon117
    Expand Collapse

I would beg her to not buy FCA anything. All of their lineup within your budget is garbage. Shop around your local dealers, give every brand a go and pick the best one. Brand loyalty is stupid IMO.

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

2 adults 3 teens, minivan or crossover is useless. #FocusWagonMasterrace #SoldHisFocusForMoney

8. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Well sure, but the Focus isn't available as a wagon in Canada. Besides, I seriously doubt a compact car (wagon or otherwise) can comfortably seat 3 teens in the back, expecially considering how fast they grow up... and how tall teens can be nowadays.

9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Hehe, mums last few cars have been SUVs and crossovers. Our 3 series sedan and my old focus wagon have had more rear space than any of her cars have had. These crossovers, they're big and bulky, but you dont get anything for it except a little bit of headroom to give the illusion of more space.

10. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Crossovers aren't any more suited for their needs than a wagon, I agree, but I don't think downgrading from an old large MPV to a new compact wagon is the answer.

Rear legroom might be abundant (and, btw, I can't really believe this is the case with any 3-series that I can think of), but we're talking about 3 teens here: the one occupying the center seat is inevitably going to have unconfortable travels. That's likely true for most crossovers in their price range as well.

Their best option is yet another MPV, IMO, expecially since their kids are growing (so their new car shouldn't be shrinking) and they're already accustomed to such availability of space.

11. JDMGuy

JDMGuy
    Expand Collapse

I know, We bought the caravan 6 months after my little sister was born. She is now 13, and she is even taller than me. ( I am 15, btw.) So she is about 6 feet tall. Do you have suggestions for cars that can fit all 3 of us (me, my 17 year old sister, and my 13 year old sister) comfortably?

12. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Well... About 6 ft tall myself (but I'm 33... you can still grow taller), proportionally long legs / short torso... and I HATE occupying the center seat of pretty much ANY car unless it's a London Taxi...

MPVs are ideal for your needs IMO, thanks to their flat floor, indipendent seats and large cargo space even in their 5 seat configuration.

How about you check for discounts for the Dodge Grand Caravan? It's EoL but won't be directly replaced anytime soon - the Pacifica will replace both the T&C and the GC while the GC will still be offered in Canada for at least one more model year due to its huge followup - so I suspect pricing could get very aggressive now that the newer product is available .

13. JDMGuy

JDMGuy
    Expand Collapse

The decision has been made. We have a friend of the family who works at the Chrysler dealership looking for a used grand caravan or journey less than 3 years old.

14. JDMGuy

JDMGuy
    Expand Collapse

Plan failed. We bought a 2015 Ford Focus sedan.

15. brianvalk

brianvalk
    Expand Collapse

well that could work too

16. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

You used to sit comfortably in the back of a Dodge Caravan, but then you took a Ford Focus in the knees... :(

17. Prizedcoffeecup

Prizedcoffeecup
    Expand Collapse

clover. tell your parents to keep that minivan for a while. and as for any automobile that you guys can use, maybe steer them towards mitsubishi. they have a legendary powertrain warranty and are not known to be unreliable. and a new car that is long in the tooth may not be up to date in style, but later generations of a vehicle tend to have the bugs ironed out. the mitsubishi's are outdated slightly, but the new FCA products feel REALLY cheap in the 20 k range. plus 20k is a lot for a reasonably equipped super low mile vehicle. the first year most cars usually lose 5-10k of their value. buy a 20k vehicle this year and you will be driving a 15k dollar one next year. economically its a smart move. with your moms van, the 3.3 will never die. rock solid and dependable. drive it for another year and DO NOT buy a jeep unless she wants the wrangler.
    base dodge journey steering wheels feels like dollar store plastic. just my .02$

18. JDMGuy

JDMGuy
    Expand Collapse

Reasons why we bought the focus:
    1: My 6 foot tall sister moved out.
    2: The caravan has a dent on basically every body panel and it costs more money to fix than getting a new car.
    3: That guy looking for a van for us only could find a 2008 with 110'000 miles. (Our 2003 Caravan only has 90'000)
    Reasons we did not get a mitubishi:
    1: The closest Mitsubishi dealership is a four and a half hour drive which our caravan could not do without blowing up.

Also, we already made plans to pick up the Focus tomorrow.
    --- Post updated ---
    Also, we already made plans with the local scrapyard to pick up the Caravan in 2 days. The money has been spent on a Focus. It is a nice car, deal with it.

19. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

why not get a 4 door wrangler or a 90s bronco. both have a removable top, excellent range of modifications available, they look better than a minivan, and gas mileage isn't that terrible for what they are. (for the bronco, i recommend finding a 5th gen (1992-1996) that is an inline 6 if you can)

20. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

The guy that sucks at looking for vans.
    I honestly couldn't think of a worse car to buy if I was in the market for a new family car.
    I actually can, but you get the point.

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice