1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you do to your vehicle today?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by BBQ, Nov 29, 2014.

1. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

Maybe a clogged cat that you blew out with the high RPM?

• Like Like x 1
  2. pickle330

pickle330
    Expand Collapse

It seems that your situation is somewhat similar to what happened to our GMC Safari recently. I don't know all of the details, but I'll say what I know. Apparently, when the van was much newer, it had quite a bit more power. There was no known change in the sound in this case, but the cat was plugged, and unplugging it didn't seem to do too much. There was also some sort of issue with the intake manifold and leaking coolant which I believe somehow caused some sort of air restriction in the manifold. After it was fixed and cleaned, the van felt like it had some more power, significantly better throttle response, and as you described, it was less resistant, or "happier" to accelerate and go through gears with less throttle. There was never a check engine light related to this though.

Scanning the codes would probably be the best place to start.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Someone said the same thing on the gm truck forums. I hadn't considered it before, but clogged cats do seem like a pretty likely culprit. I'd say if I blew a cat out I'll be getting another cel for that soon.
    Definitely a possibility. I'll scan the codes.

• Like Like x 1