What did you do to your vehicle today?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by BBQ, Nov 29, 2014.

1. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

Maybe a clogged cat that you blew out with the high RPM?

• Like Like x 1
  2. pickle330

pickle330
    Expand Collapse

It seems that your situation is somewhat similar to what happened to our GMC Safari recently. I don't know all of the details, but I'll say what I know. Apparently, when the van was much newer, it had quite a bit more power. There was no known change in the sound in this case, but the cat was plugged, and unplugging it didn't seem to do too much. There was also some sort of issue with the intake manifold and leaking coolant which I believe somehow caused some sort of air restriction in the manifold. After it was fixed and cleaned, the van felt like it had some more power, significantly better throttle response, and as you described, it was less resistant, or "happier" to accelerate and go through gears with less throttle. There was never a check engine light related to this though.

Scanning the codes would probably be the best place to start.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Someone said the same thing on the gm truck forums. I hadn't considered it before, but clogged cats do seem like a pretty likely culprit. I'd say if I blew a cat out I'll be getting another cel for that soon.
    Definitely a possibility. I'll scan the codes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. coolusername

coolusername
    Expand Collapse

reached...
    Foto0376.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

Doubtful you'd get a CEL, as I think the O2 sensors on those trucks is upstream from the cat.

6. umad41

umad41
    Expand Collapse

Trading my '87 (Profile Pic) Cherokee for a 98 Grand Cherokee Limited with the 5.2. It is pretty much better in every way (my trans in the Cherokee was a bit healthier, but this 5.2 and it's transfer Case is WAY happier with life atm.) My Cherokee had some weird cloth/leather combo seats, The Grand has full heated leather, power seating w/programmable presets, power window/locks and a remote for the locks. Needs me to check fuse maybe pull the mirror's motor and an AC recharge but it is reliable for a 500 mile trip so meh.

7. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

The only thing to worry about on that Grand Cherokee will be that 44RE, Me and a friend have replaced SO many Chrysler automatic transmissions that it isn't funny,

Check the bands and TPS as soon as you can. Assuming it's in good shape now, make sure you lock it out of overdrive EVERY time your towing something, or if you're going to be on any kind of hilly roads.
    --- Post updated ---
    The only thing to worry about on that Grand Cherokee will be that 44RE, Me and a friend have replaced SO many Chrysler automatic transmissions that it isn't funny,

Check the bands and TPS as soon as you can. Assuming it's in good shape now, make sure you lock it out of overdrive EVERY time your towing something, or if you're going to be on any kind of hilly roads.

8. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

Today I painted my floor with a coat of rustoleum rust reformer to prevent more rot holes and yesterday I dug some stuff out of my carport because it is going to fall down any second now
    I was going to use the left door and trunk because my door has a dent all the way across the bottom of it and my trunk is twisted but sadly rust got to them first and of course these cars like destroying windows because all the glass we have except one set of side windows is severely scratched from the mechanicals rubbing up against them and they like breaking door handles too since every car I've seen has broken ones
    bonus my left door is propped up by a jack because the hinges give up on their job after the door is open for more than a half hour so the door sags until it is unable to close
    IMG_0997.jpg IMG_0990.jpg IMG_0991.jpg IMG_0993.jpg IMG_0994.jpg IMG_0995.jpg IMG_1003.jpg

#2548 JBatic, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  9. umad41

umad41
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the advice man, I will keep an eye on it

10. coolusername

coolusername
    Expand Collapse

my vehicle for today
    Foto0378.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  11. umad41

umad41
    Expand Collapse

Hey maintenance! Power steering pulley detonated on my way home after 35 mile drive to George (Obscure lil' town in WA) and 35 mile drive back to home, took the serpentine belt with it. Pulled it home, went out bought parts and rented the pulley removal tool had it back on the road in 20 minutes of opening the hood.

12. XManic1995

XManic1995
    Expand Collapse

13. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

I kinda screwed the Yukon's engine up. I ran it out of oil.
    I know for a fact it was full when I was doing the transmission, and I've put right at 1500 miles on it. It doesn't blow a hint of smoke, ever, and it doesn't leak. How the fuck all of my oil disappeared and I didn't notice is beyond me. I know I've checked it since I've started driving it regularly, but I don't know how far along the 1500 miles it was.
    I could write 3 paragraphs trying to justify myself but at the end of the day I was careless and now my engine knocks, and I'm without a car because I sold my other one.
    It started knocking so I had it towed home. Filled it up with some oil I had laying around after I saw that the stick was bone dry, started it up and it didn't knock. Took it for a drive and it started knocking once everything got nice and warmed up. Put some 10w-40 valvoline along with a thing of lucas oil thickener in there. Probly have about a 30w-50 concoction in there right now. Started it up and it was quiet as a mouse. Drove it a couple miles and it started knocking, albeit quieter than before. It still makes good oil pressure, just knocks lightly.
    Yes, I'm a fucking idiot. Yes, I deserve nothing but scorn and should have my privileges to own a motor vehicle revoked by the federal government.

I'm thinking it's rod knock, but if anyone thinks differently chime in. I'm planning on pulling the oil pan and doing the rod bearings. If that doesn't quiet it down I'm probably gonna drive it into a lake and then shoot myself.

#2553 Potato, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  14. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Or, hello ls swap

15. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

It's crossed my mind, but I really would like to just get it back up and running.
    It'll suck if I don't have a vehicle for the rest of the summer.

#2555 Potato, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  16. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

How does it sound when it's warm?

While you've got the pan off, put a new oil pump in there, not saying it's necessarily the issue, but it can't hurt.
    If you've got good oil pressure, my first guess would be a cooked lifter or two.

If I were you, I'd just pull it out and rebuild it, even if you took your time, I can't see it taking more than three days, from driving it into the shed to driving it back out. If you've got any questions, don't hesitate to ask me, I've rebuilt several Gen II SBC's and could probably do it blindfolded at this point.

17. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

It's warm in the video. Quiet when cold, knocks lightly when warm.
    I plan on putting a new oil pump in.
    Also lol at 3 days. It'd take me ages to rebuild this thing. I work slow. If I had another car to drive I'd consider it, but it isn't really an option right now.

18. Wiggilez

Wiggilez
    Expand Collapse

get rear ended :(

but at least it's getting fix :)

19. Notsofancygames

Notsofancygames
    Expand Collapse

Bought my first car today, 2007 BMW 335i Coupe 96k miles. Headlights randomly flickering/headlight warning light on is currently the only issue.

20. coolusername

coolusername
    Expand Collapse

got some new (well, used) alloys today,
    those are original 1. gen focus accessory rims,
    they are called "Vario Y" and super rare because nobody bought them back then
    they have a few scratches but were super cheap
    DSC02694.jpg DSC02695.jpg
    :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice