What did you do to your vehicle today?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by BBQ, Nov 29, 2014.

1. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Except that the faster car is better here.

Imagine getting into US highway traffic (avg. power - ca. 200-250 HP) with 90 HP, and then imagine doing this with 160.

Plus, adding the less powerful engine could give Fiat an image of a brand that makes cheap, but underpowered cars, not the desired one of a cheaper Mini.

2. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Sure. There's no replacement for displacement. Wider is better. And so on...

I can see the reason why the lower end powerplants aren't offered there, as much as I can see the reason why the vehicle in question tops at 120HP here.

Central point still stand: I seriously doubt everyone and his dog need "average power ca. 200-250HP" over there. To me, it's a waste you can only afford now that fuel prices are unbelievably low and no one takes the issue of finite resorces coming to an end very seriously. Meanwhile the rest of the world developed a different mindset and moved away from "We love it, and it's always been like that, no reason to change".

By the way... "Enthusiasts" and "automatics" don't mix in my book. Something doesn't add up. :p

3. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Your book is trash compactor feed.

And finite resources are a self-regulating thing - as there will be less, the prices will rise and people will move away. That's how it goes.

4. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

So what? What's the problem with driving a 90 hp car among 250 hp ones? There is one thingy called speed limit, you know- and it is the same for everyone.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

The problem with selling cheap, underpowered cars is that people may remember you for it.

And if you're also trying to be a cheaper, smaller alternative to big luxury cars, it's a bit problematic.

6. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Indeed.

This is happening in the rest of the world already, where we welcome 90HP CNG family cars and hybrids like the Prius you Americans despise so much. As I said, this short-sighted "moar pawah" approach is only possible for you now because of rock-bottom fuel prices. Nothing to do with larger roads or "enthusiasts".

What you are doing is the very definition of waste. And we are terribly off-topic.

7. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

America does have low-powerred cars of around 100 HP, like the Mazda2, Toyota Yaris or the base Fiat 500. And the Prius is a well-selling car, California's #1.

Also, America has simply let the self-regulating market run its course, something Italians fail to imagine.

8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I was able to reach 105mph with just 54hp. Don't need triple digits horsepower to reach dangerous speeds, it also didn't have a huge issue merging into the highway in the first place
    --- Post updated ---
    It was still definitely the very lower bound, I wouldn't want to drive less than 75 again. But my current car is running 215hp and it's honestly capable of being too fast to be responsible most of the time

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

215 is not a bad number. 200-250 seems right for a daily driver.

However, my grandpa has that sort of a Corsa, and it really is underpowered.

10. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Look, it's not hard to imagine.

It's not hard to see it: you know most of the american grey imports - RAM, Ford pickups, Escalades - reaching Europe end up in Northern Italy and Germany? And it's perfectly fine with me. I just call things with their name: waste. More power you rarely (if ever) need is just that.

The consequences in the long run, however, seem to be hard to imagine for you. But hey, global warming and the other "eco bullshit" are fake news, right?

11. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

Do you even have a licence.
    Even 110HP in my mothers skoda fabia+automatic is enough to merge on the highway (130kmh for you)
    double that and its so much that you will never use it...

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

200-250 does work for the reason that 100-150 is enough, but you sometimes need the little push over the edge (e.g. overtaking).

13. VWlove38

VWlove38
    Expand Collapse

I have 110 bhp and I have no problem getting to speed and overtaking. can cruise on 130 kph with no problem, accelerate decently (9.3 sec to 100) and get hilarious consumption
    IMG_1585.jpg
    Bonus profile shot:
    IMG_1583.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

That's the normal-day stuff I meant.

Getting car power is like building a bridge - you take what you need, and then add some non-ridicoulous-level strengthening.

15. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, take the 90 hp you need and throw in some 110 hp of strengthening, is this what you mean?
    Also, better move the discussion here:
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/general-car-discussion.12511/page-561

16. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

17. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

It was still definitely the very lower bound, I wouldn't want to drive less than 75 again. But my current car is running 215hp and it's honestly capable of being too fast to be responsible most of the time
    you can overtake with under 100, I've done it just fine

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

cars in the US used to have about 80hp (or often less if it weren't a V8) and they sold pretty well here....then again, it was the 70s gas crunch still in peoples minds.

19. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

May you guys avoid offtopic.
    You can also use PMs to discuss other things :)

• Agree Agree x 6
  20. Ciel :D

Ciel :D
    Expand Collapse

Went to get emissions done. Only to find before I even left the driveway a massive amount of fumes pouring out behind the rear tire. I took one look and.....

There was no way I was going to get it tested with that. It was right behind the muffler so I had my fingers crossed it was only that spot. I drove it to a muffler shop and asked them if they could take a look at it. They lifted it up and sure enough....

They broke the bad news to me. Basically if they patched the hole, the new pressure would blow holes in all the other rotted spots. He gave me 2 options. Get it fixed or drive it home and leave it sitting for 3 years when it turns 25 years old. In the long haul, I figured it would better the car if it was fixed.... I mean, fix the problem = peace at mind. So I gave the go ahead. Now it's officially the newest and shiniest thing on this car :)

Sorry for some blur on the pictures. My phone doesn't have the best camera :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice