What did you do to your vehicle today?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by BBQ, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Hello, fellow old Nissan owner. What model do you have?

2. tumbbi2

tumbbi2
    Expand Collapse

2000 Micra k11 1.0

3. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

I have a 1994 Sunny 1.4.

• Like Like x 1
  4. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

just look at it this way, you got a free screw driver.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tumbbi2

tumbbi2
    Expand Collapse

True, and it seems to be a high quality one too.

6. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

Yesterday I washed the bronco, put some rust converter on the roof to stop the rust up there and I installed a new to me trunk lid on the firebird. I also figured out the rear of the firebird is a bit more off than I thought since the trunk I put on does not line up at all yet it is a perfectly straight trunk
    IMG_1175.jpg IMG_1176.jpg

7. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

I got the trunk to line up better today

8. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

So, what did you tweak? The trunk lid or the body? (modifying a perfect lid to fit a bent body is illogical)

9. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

I used the adjustments on the trunk lid and latch on the body, I also had to use some shims that where on the old trunk

10. blackboy trash

blackboy trash
    Expand Collapse

nothing yet D: im looking for door cards for my JZZ30 soarer though!

#3010 blackboy trash, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  11. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Expand Collapse

tenor.gif

So my plans to store the Favorit in a garage collided with my mom who doesn't want any smell in said garage because for some reason our house is connected with it as one. The Favo smelled of petrol quite noticeably, especially near the rear.

I managed to identify where the smell was coming from when I got under the car.

I was greeted by this fella:
    DSC_1066.jpg

A 29-year-old hose that connects the fuel tank with the filler neck. You can see how warped it is, it also had several small cracks in it so it's no wonder it let fumes escape.

Some WD-40, broken clamps and a lot of sweat later I managed to get the old hose out and install the new one.
    DSC_1075.jpg DSC_1081.jpg

The aftermath:
    DSC_1074.jpg DSC_1076.jpg

Now I hope that the petrol smell has been eliminated, but I'll only know for sure when I let it sit overnight.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

My car had a similar problem too; in 2015, when we removed it from the semi-waterproof garage where it spent 10+ years and got it running, it began dripping fuel from the tank area. It was basically the same part that needed replacement, but it was metal. It was ordered through the official Nissan dealership from Japan, so the delivery took several months. Part + installation cost us 282€, which was almost the value of my car.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Expand Collapse

Holy crap that is a lot. Mine cost somewhere around 8€ but to my knowledge later Favorit models got rid of this issue by simply having an ultra-long fuel neck that goes all the way to the fuel tank. I don't think my car dripped anything but the pores in the old hose would soak up with fuel and leave a strong scent.

14. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

It's a brand new original full metal fuel neck pipe that was ordered from Japan, so no wonder it was so expensive. When the right fender needed replacement, we asked the official Nissan dealer for a price and they asked 300€ for a new original fender. We said no and, after some weeks of searching, ordered a used fender from a Dutch wrecking yard for 80€.
    I think the manufacturers should offer discounts on parts for cars over 15-20 years, since nearly no-one is buying them with current pricing. If they did, people would have an opportunity to buy affordable quality parts and the manufacturers would have an opportunity to finally get rid of them.

15. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Expand Collapse

Afaik, Skoda does this with new-ish cars where they have a "premium" and "economy" (aka cheaper) line of parts.

16. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

welcome to the land of old cars,
    yesterday my dad,uncle and me got the white '79 firebird running for the first time in at least 5 years, but it needs a new heater core

• Like Like x 3
  17. Mr.Blueboy

Mr.Blueboy
    Expand Collapse

Nice.

#3017 Mr.Blueboy, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  18. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

wrong thread again hurr durr

#3018 NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  19. Mr.Blueboy

Mr.Blueboy
    Expand Collapse

I parked the car. And looked at it.

20. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Hooked up a scan tool as I had a check engine light flash recently and a very minor loss of power. But nothing. Tempted to see can I get a raspberry pi or something to log from the tool long term to catch if it happens again
    --- Post updated ---
    One suspicion is simply fuel filter clogging so I may also just replace that directly

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice