What did you do to your vehicle today?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by BBQ, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Investing in tools is a much better use of money than paying some joker to do work that almost anyone can do in their driveway :)
    The deeper you go into car maintenance, the less you'll find yourself at the mechanic holding back tears when you hear the costs of work. Replacing my sump cost $155 all up: $100 for the sump, $35 for oil, $20 for gasket maker, and a few hours of my time. For reference, Audi wanted $510 for parts alone; I didn't bother asking further.

First tools I'd recommend would be a good quality socket set (SAE is ideal, but not necessary), Torx/hex bit set, 2 axle stands, and a mishmash of flathead and phillips screwdrivers. I've found that aerosol carby cleaner is a must. It'll turn bolts caked in oil and grime to clean silver in a few quick sprays. These should be enough to cover 80% of mechanical and interior jobs. The other 20% is covered by special manufacturer tools.

2. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

Got passenger's side of the carpet cleaned, my fucking god tobacco and dirt don't mix.
    Here's a just started shot of the front.
    DSCN0523.JPG

3. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

The Grand Marq is getting fixed! $2300 in damage and 30 hours of labor. They must have valued it pretty damn high. Saving for Mustang Rims and Dual Exhaust now.

4. BBQ

BBQ
    Expand Collapse

I did some calculations today while filling up, 7L/100KM. It's the lowest I've ever gotten it, I've normally been between 8L-9L/KM. Is happy. :D #ecodrivingyo

5. theonetruedoge

theonetruedoge
    Expand Collapse

there were some realllllllllllyyy nice bullitt mustang rims off an 04 gt in my area that sold with good tires on them for 300$. i wanted so bad, but I didn't have 300$ at the time.

6. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

The Bullit rims don't bolt directly to the Grand Marq. I'd need spacers.

7. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

You bastard, my A4 does 15.5L/100km. Then again, it's a V6 and probably a bit heavier at 1400kg dry.

I'll check the economy again when I change oxygen sensors. I suspect they haven't been changed since 1996.

8. BBQ

BBQ
    Expand Collapse

When cruising around, I almost never go over 2500 rpm and @ 50km/h in 5th I'm laying at 1100 rpm. I often go from 2nd at 2500 rpm to 5th, bit extreme :) It's hard to believe that eco-driving can be fun but I think it is.

9. flystyle

flystyle
    Expand Collapse

Did this yesterday, but, after sitting around for over 6 months I decided to work on my 4000.

(before you guys say anything, I know what that terrible noise is, I need to replace the vacuum pump)

#469 flystyle, May 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  10. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

Got the rest of the interior bits as clean as possible, the carpets are as clean as they can get, keep in mind it is a 24 year old car with 24 year old carpets.
    HiYLWZx.jpg
    sWE3Y9a.jpg
    Not too bad.

11. theonetruedoge

theonetruedoge
    Expand Collapse

I believe they would require 1/2 inch spacers all around? at least that is what i hear off cv.net

- - - Updated - - -

Today I repainted my steelies black. I really like them black a lot better than when they were red. I painted my grill black as well. Then I installed two 8 inch subwoofers and a sony 600 watt amp that my awesome neighbor just gave to me. Didn't charge me a dime. Installed head unit properly too. Pics:
    20150510_155754[1].jpg
    20150510_155812[1].jpg
    20150429_195152[1].jpg

12. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

The black looks better than the red did.

13. Erik.s

Erik.s
    Expand Collapse

Abused it.
    Went to one of the 3 most difficult 4x4 trails in South Africa, was amazing but had a little problem about 20km into the 34km trail.
    My rear brake slave cylinder's seal popped, so I had no brakes, which is sort of fine for the trail. Just put it in 1st gear low range and go down, hoping everything will go ok.
    The interesting part was the 80km back home, where I had a bit of a problem at one stage, will upload a video shortly.

- - - Updated - - -

And my handbrake needs a service, so it only worked on the right wheel and not very well either (could barely lock it on a dirt road).

- - - Updated - - -

#473 Erik.s, May 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  14. mrboojay

mrboojay
    Expand Collapse

Let it sit all week last week while I carpooled :/ and made a license plate for it (few days ago). (We can make our own license plates. :) Full color too, with any image.)

15. Michael

Michael
    Expand Collapse

Bought a can of plastidip for $5 and tried it out. Seeing what i want to do paintwise to accent the car. Kind of thinking of doing the entire bottom lip black.
    b9rm3dp7s6k3xyhzg.jpg

16. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

What happened to that Sunfire you had?
    Did it shit out? Rust out? Just messin with you, man. It looked pretty clean.
    Did you sell it or are you still hanging on to it?

#476 Potato, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
  17. Michael

Michael
    Expand Collapse

Nah It started having some minor issues. Right before I sold it i dropped around $500 in brake work and exhaust work. Ended up selling it for $2000 though haha. Used that plus tax returns to put $3000 down on my SS. Only have $5000 to pay off haha.

18. Combustibob

Combustibob
    Expand Collapse

Seems like a good deal, nice buy! I've always wanted a Cobalt SS, really cool little cars.

I just washed both of my vehicles today, had to have been at least 8 months since they've gotten a bath... so yea, they were pretty scuzzy.
    Pics
    Truck is a 93 Chevy C1500 with a conversion package. Fully loaded, 350 V8, auto trans, lowered 2 inches, lots of other stuff. Probably around 300K miles (odometer broke at 203k) on an all original drivetrain. Runs like a champ and it's the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Love that thing.
    Car is a 99 Pontiac Firebird. 3.8L V6 :(, auto, Y87 Package (Limited slip diff, steering rack that the LS1 cars had), W68 package (appearance pack), drilled/slotted rotors, all new stereo/speakers. Every option but the V8 and leather seats I think. 183k miles, and its sometimes a turd.

Attached Files:

• my truck 8.jpg
    • my firebird1.jpg
    #478 Combustibob, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
  19. mrniz666

mrniz666
    Expand Collapse

My dad got a new company one:
    vw.jpg

I set all of the computers up for him

2015 VW Passat 2.0 tdi

20. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

Buffed a lot of it, the front quarter panel isn't done yet, just to show how the magic happened.
    http://imgur.com/a/7z4Pe

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice