What did you do to your vehicle today?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by BBQ, Nov 29, 2014.

1. theonetruedoge

theonetruedoge
    Expand Collapse

Eventually I would like to get a full dual exhaust conversion with some magnaflows or slp loudmouths, but my car has 175000 miles on it, so i dont know if it would be the best idea to drop 500 on an exhaust system tho :(. What I may wind up trying to do is buying the left tailpipe, the h pipe, and another flowmaster 40 and have meineke just weld it all together for me hopefully for a reasonable price.

also would like to do the jmod but I don't know enough about transmissions to do it myself.

2. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

I'm kind of feeling my 113,000 is a bit much for miles even... I don't know if it'd be worth it at 175k. Maybe just enjoy it or put a muffler on the single pipe.

3. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

From what I can find, the mustang wheels will either not fit a grand marquis or at least be a tight fit.

Gm has a +40mm offset from stock. Mustang rims are apparently +24. The mustang rims will stick out further than the GM rims. counter intuitively, positive offset moves rims further into the wheel well.
    Spacers won't help as the increase negative offset. A 15mm spacer on the mustang +24 would result in a +9mm offset, causing the rims to be an even poorer fitment.

Maybe the marquis will take the 24mm offset, but it will be tight. I know my car in the +40mm offset range can struggle with +35 let alone +24 (its also a 4*108 so mustang rims are a no go anyway, although it can be converted).

4. theonetruedoge

theonetruedoge
    Expand Collapse

I am just going by what the members of the panther platform forum are saying. I do not know myself how well they fit or what they would need to fit, I just know that if you get them to fit like some of those members did, it looks pretty good.

5. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

Pre-2003 Panthers had close to 0 offset. 2003+ Vics have ~50mm. Anything in the 40-50mm range works.
    94-04 Mustang wheels are direct bolt on to 92-02 Panthers.
    05-14 Mustang wheels are direct bolt on to 03-11 Panthers with the exception of the 05+ Bullit rims.
    05-14 Mustang wheels on a pre-03 Panther need spacers.
    03+ Panthers can't use pre-05 Mustang wheels.

Stock 17" S197 Mustang rims are 45mm offset with the 18" being 50mm offset.

6. Whippy

Whippy
    Expand Collapse

Moved it a few feet after getting my pop to jump start it (We don't know if its not charging or the battery is just too old, as it won't keep its charge) and after I checked the brakes which now make squeeling noises when I use it, then I parked it and rev'ed it up a bit just to see if it makes any noises, it only mad amazing ones :) I have a 4th gen 1988 Nissan Patrol GY30 4 door, it also has a bull bar or what ever you call it on the front :)

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Swap it's battery with another car. See if problem persists.

If it does, query alternator issues. If it doesn't, buy new battery as I suppose the other car you nicked a battery from isn't going far.

Batteries don't last forever.

If it's a refillable battery, check it doesn't just need topping up.

Alternator issues can be diagnosed with a voltmeter too. Voltage across battery terminals should be around 13.8-14.4v when the engine is running. If the battery can hold a charge, it should have a rest voltage between 13.5 and 14.0 volts. Rest voltage should be checked an hour after switching the vehicle off.

Another possibility is that the battery does hold a charge and does get charged fully, but is being drained. Run the engine long enough to put a decent charge on the battery. Cut the engine, remove the ground lead from the battery, place an ammeter between the ground lead and the ground contact of the battery. There should be about a quarter of an amp Max. A 1a load will drain a 60Ah battery in 60 hours, not too good, if not for fuse blowing, I had a 20a+ short in my car once, With a 40Ah battery too, 2 hours to drain it flat ain't great.

8. g0tsl33p14

g0tsl33p14
    Expand Collapse

subyb.JPG
    Subi takes a bath.

9. Stormdrain

Stormdrain
    Expand Collapse

IY7yAvj.jpg
    Not today, however i bought these wheels, tried them on, decided i didnt like them, and sold them for more than i had in them.

10. Sando

Sando
    Expand Collapse

You did right.

11. NistingurA

NistingurA
    Expand Collapse

I put new rims on my Mercedes ;)

12. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Pics or it didn't happen

13. NistingurA

NistingurA
    Expand Collapse

Ja ja .. Blaa.jpg

14. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

I'm late to the panther discussion.
    You could nick a dual setup from a police package crown vic and slap some flowmasters on it. Pretty sure it bolts right on to all panthers.
    Also, there are endless step-by-step guides on jmods all over the internet. If you're talking about the panther forum that I think you are, crownvic.net, you can find endless writeups on it. Not all that complicated, really. Just takes some drilling and spring swapping/removing.
    Also, speaking of the best year of panthers, I've decided I'd want an 06-10 P71. 06-10 got the new steering wheel (05+), updated interior (03+), reinforced frame (03+), stronger transmission (04+), and the updated gauge cluster with a tachometer (06+). I really hate drive by wire, but it's something I'm willing to put up with for all of the 06+ goodies.
    I wouldn't buy a 2011 simply because they're huge pieces of shit. The whole platform was about to be discontinued and most of the sales were to fleets so Ford really threw in the towel that last year. Everyone at the plants was gonna be out of work in September no matter what, so workmanship on the line got shitty, and quality control was pretty much nonexistent.
    If you don't really care about the gauge cluster or the fancy steering wheel, '04 is definitely the year for you. '04 got the stronger transmission, reinforced frame, updated interior, and was the last year before electronic throttle control.

15. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

16. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

The most important part is the tach. This comes from a guy without one, in 2 cars, gets old quickly when you don't know what speed your engine is turning. Also the 06+ goodies are so worth the extra coin.

17. Whippy

Whippy
    Expand Collapse

it refills, but it doesn't keep its charge, and its not because I'm driving it, even if its sitting for a day or two, it still goes, I've check everything, nothing is on that could be draining it, so it must be the battery, because the alternater can't charge it if its not moving.

18. theonetruedoge

theonetruedoge
    Expand Collapse

Like... do I need to weld anything or is it a direct bolt on? Cause thats whats stopping me is outrageous labor prices at my local exhaust shop. otherwise I would have done it a while ago.

19. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

A 95-97 system would bolt right onto your car. The mounts are there and everything.
    A 98-02 system would probably work, but you may encounter some fitment problems. It wouldn't line up with the notch in the rear bumper either.

20. theonetruedoge

theonetruedoge
    Expand Collapse

hmm well then i just may order an hpipe and the works tonight. and its all good, my year doesnt have any notches in the rear bumper anyway

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice