1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

What do you think of the Mesh Slap?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by elpaloJDM, Oct 10, 2021.

1. elpaloJDM

elpaloJDM
    Expand Collapse

That's all.There are actually some "mesh slaps" that are pretty good. And for those mods, I just don't understand one thing. What is considered a mesh slap, and what isn't? Because, from what I understand a mesh slap is using the jbeam of some pre-existing vehicle and placing it over a mesh, which, according to me, is not usually made by the mod author. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
    PS: my English is garbage, so I'm using a translator to write this, in case there is something not understood.

2. IonicOwl

IonicOwl
    Expand Collapse

I always considered a mesh slap to be the mesh of one car grafted onto the jbeam of another. This in itself isn't necessarily a problem, but this sort of practice paves the way for low effort and poor quality mods that I think can negatively affect an outsiders perception of the game.

If you'd only just heard of BeamNG and you searched it up on YouTube, found a video with a thumbnail featuring some real-life supercar, and then clicked the video, only to see that car deform terribly and generally look poor. You're going to wonder what all the fuss was about and move onto something else, because the game looks bad.

The other problem is that many of those mods are made with assets lifted from other games that feature licensed content, or from other modders. People are drawn towards these because they desperately want real life cars in the game. The issue is that because the car's mesh doesn't match the jbeam properly, the cars don't handle or deform properly, so the main unique selling point of the game is almost completely negated.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice