1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

What happened to updates?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jawsoflife353, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

I do kind of agree with some of these points but then again I don't. You're talking about a small dev team here, not something like EA where a game takes a year to complete [and still feels rushed].

Implementing CEF to BeamNG and developing all the HTML pages and javascript and interfaces is not easy, that would have taken a month+ on its own. Collision and friction fixes would have needed fine tuning as well. Implementing a virtual filesystem and multi-dae took another few weeks in its own.

As for the vehicles, While it is unfortunate that Gabester is having his own problems, life happens.

Game programming/development isn't easy and when you have a small dev team like this working on a revolutionary new physics engine, Obviously things won't go so smooth as planned.

2. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

And a blogpost happened at 3am on Saturday night: Progress-report, like who needs sleep anyways :|

#22 tdev, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  3. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Sleep is healthy. Thank you for the BeamNG crew pic sir. That adds a major league personal touch that I have been wanting for over a year. It means a lot.:cool:

4. 14ramosr

14ramosr
    Expand Collapse

Take a nap dude

5. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Go sleep please. You need it.

6. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

Just to clarify, guys. "Ameuter" is not a refference to skill level how I meant it. He's a good level artist... but I'm not sure he does it professionally?? does BeamNG count as a proffessional in the way he does it? Anyway, I meant no offense for once. Like an ameuteur photographer, does it because they enjoy it rather than it being a job... which is honestly what I got the impression of. Come on, it would be silly for me to "Ror's best vehicle artist, RoR's main programmers and a shitty level designer". Didn't mean it that way. Just... no.

sorry.

#26 Hati, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  7. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure any of the devs do this professionally in as a fulltime wage paying gig goes. You are correct though, I mistook your description as an insult to LFHutch.
    You are one cranky scotsman so the stretch was a simple one.:p

8. estama

estama
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

From outside, the development might look some times as being slowed down. This is due to the nature of development flow. Things need to be researched and planned before even a single line of code is written. Also there unexpected things that can happen that can delay the development even more (like the forums server crash).

As an example. For the FFB work, i had to re-learn Control_theory. This is because as simple as a wheel's motor is, it is still a quite complex endeavor to control it robustly. Especially in our case, where the wheel and wheel's motor parameters are unknown. From the outside, this studying/researching work will look like we are being lazy and not writing any new code at all. Nevertheless, it is serious work that requires an enormous amount of effort and time.

Concerning a critique about Sam's artistic abilities that i've seen in a reply above:

In addition to the engineering studies, i also had a classical music education. One thing that i have learned from that education, is that the most valuable critique is from peers that are on around the same or superior level of artistry. In all other cases, the critique most often reflects the artistic immaturity of the person that did the critique.

9. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Who begged for slidenodes because they actually needed them? Only a few person iirc. The rest were only people that jumped in the "Give Slidenodes plox" wave and that probably didn't even know what those were for :|
    Anyway, lot of stuff are going in the background as Tdev and Estama said. Better having all the basics up and working flawlessy before going on implementing game modes and etc.

10. nathan12276

nathan12276
    Expand Collapse

I just read a few response's from people about asking for an update, either your retarded or have turrets because swearing while telling people that their a horrible person for asking for updates is just completely stupid. Your picture might as well be butt humping the devs, but really you must understand people dont want to wait for things after they've been promised to come sooner. "cough" "cough" "red robin" "cough" "cough"

11. Again_Dejavu

Again_Dejavu
    Expand Collapse

New sig.

12. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Ok, you seem to be incompetent. Do please show me where they promised to have the game done within a certain time frame.
    Again, go code your own game that's worth even the slightest fuck.
    Idiot.

13. NINJAHOBNOB

NINJAHOBNOB
    Expand Collapse

#33 NINJAHOBNOB, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  14. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

We all know you folks are working very hard, no one disputes that what so ever. As for my point, I'm just recommending some regular blog updates even if it's just to say
    "hi guys!, working hard on various things, we haven't forgotten about you!". Lots of hype has been tossed around for the past year and questions remain, especially with new
    customers lathering at the mouth because they saw an awesome Youtube video. ( like me ).

Very well said and true. Anyone remotely familiar with Torque knows a level like East Coast or DRI is an immense undertaking. I have great respect for Hutch, B25, Ouerbacker
    and others who do what they do. The word "amateur" pisses me off.

15. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Ugh, controls. My least favorite subject in engineering by a mile.

I know where devs are coming from with not recounting their trials and tribulations every day to forum goers, especially when those so prone to sperg rage. When I was working as a residential contractor I figured I could be more open with clients about how I completed the job. The result? They thought I was incompetent just for the fact that I encountered problems (and solved them quickly and efficiently). No clue about the nature of problem solving. If I told them only about overall progress and delivered what I said I would, it was invariably not done soon enough, even when accurate to the quote.

Take this damned if you do/dont and multiply it by a thousand forum goers. Make an update, get shit on by one half. Say nothing but work your ass off, get shit on by the other. Some of you guys need to think a little bit more before you start expounding. You are making the forums a toxic place and inhibiting the development of the game and the motivation of content creators.

#35 Goosah, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  16. MetalMilitia623

MetalMilitia623
    Expand Collapse

This one million times. These guys are working in so much uncharted water it's crazy. From my understanding of things a lot of stuff is being redone from the ground up for this game. Now for a large dev studio to do something like that in a year or two is still going to be rushed but it's at least possible. For 4-8 people to do the same thing on a much much larger scale is going to take time, a lot of it.

Now I used to be part of the group that just craps on devs when I was allowed on the EA forums but that was towards a larger company with a lot more employees doing no where near as good a job as the team we have working on this game. I mean this in it's current state is way better than anything EA Sports has done in the last 10 years. Since then I have seen more of what it takes to make a game and have a lot more respect for developers due to games like this and Intruder. It's a very cool perspective to be able to see the inner workings of how a game is developed.

Now I know there's the reservations about posting as many devlogs as possible because no matter what people are still going to be shit but me personally I would love to see that stuff more and more. Even the stuff that some would say is horribly boring and slow. Even though people are people and with the anonymity of the internet allows them to say things they otherwise wouldn't I still believe more communication is better. Even if it's just to say we are working on this and got totally stuck and had to learn some new things to figure it out. I know some have showed examples of how that doesn't work out but that (to me) just shows that people are still assholes even without the internet to protect them.

No matter what you do you are going to run into some idiots the only thing you can do is just take it in stride and move on to the people that actually appreciate what you do.

17. kruleworld

kruleworld
    Expand Collapse

If you want unappreciative, Bugbear have semi-regular updates and Next Car Game: Wreckfest is steaming towards being completed, yet there are still plenty of grumblings that their updates aren't frequent enough. It doesn't matter how frequent updates are, someone will complain.

Realizing a Sad Truth - This Early Access has Been Pretty Bad

NCG already has upgrades, AI and multiplayer implemented, so it's a lot further ahead than Beam.

18. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Also has a more numerous staff, and they have been in the game industry for much more time.
    Aside that, I don't think that I'm wrong by saying that BeamNG.Drive is far more complex than NCG.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice