What is should be added in BeamNG Drive update? (11.01.2018)

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Zajec88, Jan 12, 2018.

1. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Well, like I said... it's not impossible... you just really have to try to get them to split. 80mph side on into a tree would probably do the trick for most cars, especially depending on what the diameter of said tree is. The smaller the diameter of the thing you hit, the more likely you are to achieve something akin to a cutting action rather than an actual impact.

Think of it this way... get yourself a stick of butter out of the fridge... first try to cut it with a rolling pin (little extreme, but it works for this example). At first the butter biggins to fail and deform, but after some deformation, it can hold the force of the rolling pin rather well. Now try cutting it with a knife (again, extreme opposite end, but bear with me). After placing the knife edge on the butter, just the smallest force allows for the knife to slice right through the butter with almost no deformation. This is basically what you were alluding to in your post.

This is called a stress concentration. In other words, if you reduce the surface area of contact but keep the force the same, then the only outcome is that the contact pressure goes up. The higher the stress concentration, the more likely the metal (or whatever) in that particular area is to fail. Once you get your first tear, then it's all over and the entire car will begin to peel open like a can of sardines.

Naturally, this all assumes that we are talking about the real world... so what about beam?

Well, the same rules apply, but the only difference is that some of the beams (if desired) can have their strength set impossibly high... in fact, I think there is even an option to make them unbreakable. This then falls back on my originally mentioned problem of what to do with the overlaying mesh once the beams break. Right now, everything between the two nodes that were connected by the now broken beam is deleted or made invisible. If the beams strength was set to a real world number, cars would break realistically, but their meshes would either largely disappear over the fracture point... or... if that rule was removed... you would get a large, stretched mess like we used to get in RoR back in the day.

So... like I said... if the designer wants them to, the car will split (more so in Beam than real life) but if the car isn't supposed to split (mostly because of that rule with the meshes) it won't... If someone can come up with a good rule on mesh splitting, then this problem could be solved, but no one has really come up with a good idea for it yet.

2. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

You sure these weren't cut and shut jobs made of previously wrecked cars?

3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I doubt that, cars do split under certain situations in reality. I doubt they will do so in Beam, at least not in foreseeable future, because there are even more issues than what atv_123 mentions, in reality you get fuel lines cut off, but in BeamNG there are no fuel lines, it is bit funny when your engine 50 meters away from the car runs still perfectly and responds to throttle, despite being separated from rest of the car, there is no easy way to disable engine in such situations either.

My only point is that cars do split surprisingly often in reality.

4. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Haha :D that honestly hadn't even crossed my mind... my personal favorite is when you get an old mod from before the drivetrain update and somehow manage to shear off a wheel. The wheel stays powered and you can just make it spazz out endlessly all over the place!... Ahhh.... goood times.

5. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

I still suspect that cars you showed as an example have something interesting in their history. This also explains why middle-aged BMWs and Audis are most likely modern cars to split, since middle-aged German luxury cars are vehicular necromancers' favorites. You wouldn't get much profit off a rebuilt Dacia, Skoda or an 80s car, while buying some relatively new wrecked luxury cars, welding their undamaged bits into one and calling it "legit 60000 km mileage, owned by a priest, driven only to church and back, now what are you looking at, thick paint because superior rust protection and this welding spot is 100% factory" is easy way to get some $$$ from buyers who don't know much about cars, but want to show off.

6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

That is of course always possible, 3-5 years old vehicle is still high in value.

Also it could be that those vehicles have power, when power gets used in wrong place, accident do happen, with higher rate of driver induced incidents perhaps it is just more common for those vehicles to end up sideways to tree at high velocity?

Some part of it is probably that media and people will notice more of these bit more expensive than average cars being split to half. Nobody will make news about Dacia being split to half.

However it probably is combination of all those + some we can't figure out as always

7. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Well if we step up our game a bit to even higher end cars like Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, Pagani's, and what not, those cars split because of the fact that the engine is taking up most of the support for the rear suspension. You can only stress an engine block so much, so it can't support everything. It ends up creating a natural weak point which ends up making the cars fail there first naturally.

8. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

They are made from plastic. Ok, carbon fiber and other compound materials, that has part of the reason. Haven't heard about engine block failing though, even in this I think something else failed before the block, oh yes, did someone mentioned shady past of luxury vehicles? It seems they put that Malibu Enzo back together:
    https://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/20/ferrari-enzo-split-in-half-auction/

Malibu wreck if someone has missed/forgotten, you can see all the guts of the car there, I doubt that I want to see such in BeamNG:

9. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, I worded that wrong... I didn't mean that the engine block was failing, but that it limited the amount of material that you could put there (ie, carbon fiber or whatever) for support as you kinda need a big hole for the engine.

10. Jsap20

Jsap20
    Expand Collapse

We need little particles in crashes for sure, like spices of plastic and glass and rubber etc

Attached Files:

• crashtest.jpg
  11. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

I will just say, I think the devs can't exactly make vehicles naturally be able to split, because of how many points, anywhere on the vehicle, that would need to have a separated mesh and Jbeam or whatever is it...

Don't quote me on anything though...

12. Stynger

Stynger
    Expand Collapse

13. Jsap20

Jsap20
    Expand Collapse

but the Barstow can split, And the Moonhawk and be torn from its frame

14. Dean Wang

Dean Wang
    Expand Collapse

15. @op@

@op@
    Expand Collapse

16. Zajec88

Zajec88
    Expand Collapse

Thank you MortonX - i would love to see that in a BEAM NG drive implemented. It would be so cool! And yeah, about windshield - some windshields break like a real glass to a very little elements and we all want to see that in a game, and some windshields only have a "web" when damaged. But we want to see windshields which can break to little parts and also we want to see burned, soot-covered cars when they're on fire and exploding fuel tanks

17. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

But fuel tanks don't explode, unless they are almost empty.

Also since safety glass was invented, windshields haven't really gone to pieces, they started to glue windshields at 90's or some already at 80's so windshields are not even falling off except oldest vehicles.

18. Zajec88

Zajec88
    Expand Collapse

But we want have exploding tanks and exploding windshields - we dont care if this is not real, we want this because it is so entertaiment and so cool!
    So made this to game BEAM.NG DRIVE - it will be so cool!

19. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Ya know... with that last post... I can no longer tell if you are being serious, or being a troll.

20. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

We aim to make a realistic game that replicates real world behavior as closely as possible (given our limitations in time and processing power), so we don't really want to include fancy Hollywood-only effects just for the sake of it :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice