1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

What level of education is required to do this kind of work..?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Hunter-Z, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Hunter-Z

Hunter-Z
    Expand Collapse

I'm kind of curious: What kinds of Classes should I try to take if I ever want to help create things like Beamng.. Or any game for that matter? Seems like it is a fun, and possibly rewarding career option even if it is not the easiest.

2. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

The colours..

You need to know programming, for programming you don't need to go to college or uni or take a class in school, those are generally no good if you want to do any type of programming - best to learn it yourself: google (C++) tutorials or go to an apprenticeship, but for that you need some sort of programming knowledge I guess (reason for apprentice is that they will do programming..)
    If you want to make games like BeamNG and physics games specifically, it is probably worth learning C++ over anything else.
    You ought to be quite good at programming to make something like this, anyone can print "hello world" to a console.

As for the physics part, you want to learn well in school then go study it at uni, something up to fluid dynamics or so.

About modelling, you learn how to use Blender, 3ds max or Maya and just model things, probably the easiest of the 3.

If you are interested in learning programming I can direct you to some places and give you some tips.

3. Hunter-Z

Hunter-Z
    Expand Collapse

4. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

Oh, well if you don't need to go to college for programming I guess I should tell all the programmers at my school to just quit then, right? And that the diplomas of the graduates are useless...?

Also, if you want to go the artistic side, you don't need to be a programming wizzard at all(helps if you know a little about it though). If you want to do the programming side you don't need to be an amazing modeler at all, but again, it helps if you know a little about it.

And mass/spring physics(BeamNG) is not even close to fluid dynamics.

There's definitely good courses for programming, but good colleges or unis are hard to find on this subject. I'm currently going to the 4th year of a Game Achitecture and Design course in the Netherlands, which is said to be the best dedicated Game Design course in the whole of Europe. You can learn everything yourself if you want, but companies will always hire guys from a good school, with experience in releasing/making games as part of the education, more easily than someone who learnt it as a hobby and have only been modding or something. Plus, you get a TON of contacts in the game world through your school.

Problem is, most people who want to do this type of education think they can sit around playing games all day, when really, you do nothing of the sort. Our school has a 50% drop-out rate in the first year because of the sheer amount of people who have no clue what kind of education they'll be following... So unless you're absolutely sure you're willing to make your whole social life suffer due to not having any spare time anymore, and willing to stay up till 2 at night multiple times a week to finish a project, there's no real point in following proper courses at college/uni on this stuff...

Also, you should decide if you want to do the artist side or programming side... If you think you'll really like making characters, cars, buildings, etcetera, or if you wanna write code all day. You're not likely to do both jobs well at the same time...

5. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

I worded the first part wrong talking about programming:
    You don't need to know programming to make models or do sound, no.

But what I said about learning programming; different people learn things different ways, but going to schools for programming/CS generally teaches you outdated information and techniques. If you want to be a good programmer, you will still have to learn almost everything yourself. A CS course, you would think gives you great knowledge of programming, but it barely scratches it.
    Although, like you said: there is many people that have no idea, they will still come out barely knowing programming and get hired, while the people who actually want to do this sort of thing will have no chance. I missed the point there; if you go to a school to do this sort of thing, it's basically the only way to get hired by a big company.

I didn't say fluid dynamics was spring physics.
    I meant you should have great knowledge of physics

Also, I assumed he meant the physics wise things that's why I went straight to talking about programming.

Besides, if there is something that interests you and you want to do it, you learn those types of things by yourself, right?

Kind of off topic, but what programming do you know Mythbuster?

6. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

I've coded a little game in Flash before as a school course(and was helping a lot of people :p), and when I'm working on a mod that requires a feature that isn't in a game I sometimes think "hmm, I wonder if I can combine the code of these 2 features to do the thing I need", so then I start roaming through some code and fail at making something useful. When I read code from a game I can usually figure out how it works and what the code does, roughly, though I'm not very good at coding anything myself. That's usually enough if you're a 3d artist though, cause it means you can sort-of make it clear to programmers what you want, without them thinking "This dude is nuts...".

That said, I think it really depends on the school you're going to, wheither or not you're learning new things. Our school is pretty up to date when it comes to latest tech. For example we had 'Gamelab' teams making games in a real-time ray-tracer engine years ago, which was designed by a teacher(Jacco Bikker). Not many real-time raytracers exist at the moment, especially since they require monster computers(my gaming pc doesn't even come close in specs). It really depends on the school, I guess. I'm not familiar with other game design schools, I just know ours is very up to date since the students are very involved with the teaching too. Lots of new tech videos(including the very first BeamNG videos) get shared by students on our forums and facebook page, and the teachers regularly read those pages too...

7. LJFHutch

LJFHutch
    Expand Collapse
    Environment Artist
    BeamNG Team

Well from my research a few years ago when I wanted to get into the industry I basically came to the conclusion that what is needed above all else is the ability to prove you know what you're doing and can do it for the studio you want to work for. And the ability to work under pressure and through problems while staying sane, calm and productive of course :D

Feng Zhu (worked on star wars and a bunch of others) runs a school for concept art/illustration, not exactly the same thing of course but he said somewhere that the piece of paper you get at the end of the course is basically useless; the only reason he gives you one is because he has to by law. What matters is the skills you learn and your portfolio; the main draw of a course is that it forces you to work because it's easy to lose focus and concentration if nobody is watching you. I just did a quick look through a few job openings and couldn't find any where they required or even mentioned official qualifications, check out some of these http://epicgames.com/careers.

Now, don't take this as some absolute true path or anything but if you're serious about game development as a career you should just do it. Teach yourself what you need to know and then make mods/work for open source games.

Then again, I'm certainly not an industry veteran or anything so take that for what it's worth.

8. JAM3SwGAM3S

JAM3SwGAM3S
    Expand Collapse

As a job what I would love to do is create maps just like you what would that be called in a career is it level designer? I have always enjoyed creating maps. When beamng is released I will hopefully plan to create some maps for the game :) p.s thanks for the link I will take a look at the careers when I know what a map designer is called :D

9. LJFHutch

LJFHutch
    Expand Collapse
    Environment Artist
    BeamNG Team

Well, there are level builders and level designers, but for starting out you'll need to be able to do both (and it's important you can do both in my opinion).

10. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

I think Portal 2's builder is quite good for level design.
    Unless you just want to start making your own levels(designing and creating), then you could either make maps for T3D or any other game really.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice