1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

What makes a road 'fun'?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Occam's Razer, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

I've got a hankering to start on a map concept I've been milling over for a few weeks (not a promise of a complete product), but I first need to learn how to create a road that is worth traveling over. I know how to create roads technically, resultant of work on my urban map project. But those roads are pretty flat and mostly straight, and the entertainment value is based on the setting and surroundings. So, I need to start figuring out how to make a road fun. Camber? Verticality? Damage/potholes? I'm not sure what kind of answer I'm looking for, perhaps just some abstract concepts to try to apply to roadways. Or examples of roads that are fun (with proper rationalization).

2. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

Nah, camber makes the road too easy.

To make a fun road, I'd think you need variations in elevation, like climbing a steep hill, catching some air and slamming on the brakes to a hard corner. I'm not suggesting a mountain in the middle of the road, but consider that no matter what turns you make on gridmap it's always boring. Changes in elevation test the driver and suspension of the car.

Potholes aren't really much fun, same way insta-kills suck.

As for corners, I think the most exciting corners are the ones where you can shortcut through them. If your road has rocks of death on either side of it, one slip up and it's over, but if there's a bit of room around the corner you can drift through it, tumble through it, cut through it, or careen through the corner.

You want an example? GTA IV had great roads for crazy driving, considering the grid like layout to NY the devs had to get creative to make the driving experience indeed an experience and not a chore.

Some fun roads:
    2015-01-16_00002.jpg
    2015-01-16_00005.jpg
    2015-01-16_00006.jpg

#2 randomshortguy, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  3. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

Relatively narrow, with wide curves that can be taken at decent speeds.

4. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Technical sections with long straights and swooping bends inbetween.

5. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

I meant more variations in cambered corners, like cambered, flat, and off-cambered for the strong of heart.

I've always wanted to know this: what is 'technical'? What defines a technical section?

6. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

Oh then yes, but don't go crazy with it...;)

7. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

I think a fun road is one that keeps the sense of speed high for the type of road, and allows the driver to "read" the road, rather than rely on trial and error after a million failed laps. Not every corner should be a windowmaker, but every corner should be interesting. Every feature should have a purpose, either geologically or in terms of driving experience.

Cool things that increase the fun of a road:
    • Mix of increasing/decreasing radius (use decreasing sparingly!)
    • Blind apex, obstructed by building/wall/rock face, tall grass, overhanging branches etc
    • Elevation change
    • Double apex corners
    • Lightly banked chicanes
    • Hairpins (sparingly)
    • Bump/rut in inside line of corner cause by pothole,bump, pavement edge. To cause a similar effect to hitting the rumble strip on a track.
    • Pavement transition to make the car get a little squirelly, but not send it flying.
    • Slight embankment on the sides or a ditch, rather than just a direct transition from road to wall of trees. This can be used to allow awesome 3 wheel action, or to help guide the car back onto the road without obliterating it.
    • Occasional risky area with no barrier
    • Narrow sections such as one way bridges, construction zones, hazards like a rock slide partially cleaned up.
    • A corner that "looks" slow, but if taken the right way, can be done more quickly than expected.
    • In an open world, alternate routes that trade shaved time for extra danger (ie traffic calming devices, extra hazards, poorly designed/maintained road)
    • Nice flow/rhythm in terms of speed, direction and elevation changes. The car should dance around!
    • Light jumps
    • Interesting consequences. Rather than getting stuck in a tree every time, have the car fly off small cliffs or launch off piles of rocks or junk, into ponds, rivers, back yards of houses, etc.

Infuriating things to be left out:
    • Off camber (almost impossible to tell until too late, depends on memory of corner to get right)
    • Unrealistic obstacles (most roads do not have boulders littering every shoulder!)
    • Large bumps across the whole corner (makes you just have to slow down a lot to avoid launching off corner, no way to pick a better line. Also depends on memory of corner)
    • Roads completely bare of rails/barriers (unless they are really really primitive or gravel roads)
    • Too many trees too close to the road
    • Small rigid objects that snag the car unrealistically (tiny trees on the shoulder, signs, reflectors)

Other Considerations:

• Make the entries to corners memorable with landmarks or differences in the terrain. Otherwise, if the entry looks the same, the corner should behave rather the same.
    • Use signage like a real road has to indicate hazards
    • Match road types to danger level. Old bumpy narrow potholey roads might have more tricks like off camber decreasing radius corners, but their condition gives away that there is more risk. Whereas a nice road surface should indicate less surprises/better road engineering.
    • Most public roads can be travelled at the speed limit without drama. Do laps in the car at a realistic constant speed and see if the road seems consistent in character.

I'm sure I could put down more but maybe this will get your mind turning!

8. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Uuuuhmmm...what Goosah said. Off camber turns suck. A satisfying road to me is gradual and technical (curvy) elevation changes with
    lots of "in" camber that finish with a nice satisfying four wheel plant. A memorable road will have you planning a half mile ahead and on
    the first run will reward with inventive yet forgiving surprises. Dayam, sounds like a wine review.

Anyway, there is a stretch of the 101 on the Olympic Peninsula that goes past Lake Crescent that is exactly what I'm talking about.
    Hair raising but exhilarating.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice