What should i expect when using a Evga GTX 1060

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by EcoWagon, Dec 30, 2017.

1. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

That's because it's RAM for a A-series FM-socket APU. We have since told him to go with a Ryzen (budget) or Intel 8xxx series (if not budget) and to get some DDR4 RAM and the appropriate motherboard for it and anything else needed.

2. Gnarlex™

Gnarlex™
    Expand Collapse

But, isn't there a AM4 A-Series? Or was that something different?

3. BannedByAndroid

BannedByAndroid
    Expand Collapse

You meant that one. No, that's the same A-series APU. Get a Ryzen APU, it's far more better.

4. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

AM3 socket = DDR3, AM4 socket = DDR4.
    I don't know if there's much in the way of Ryzen APU's yet, except for laptops (OEMs have been selling such since December in limited quantities and mid-range prices).
    So unless it's a desktop board with a mobile chip on it, I haven't seen that they released any Ryzen AM4 CPUs *With integrated Vega Graphics Cores* on them. Existing Ryzen 1st gen has been out 10 months. There is new Ryzen 2xxx stuff due out in April, along with an updated (not by much) chipset that merely changes the PCI-E aggregate link between the integrated graphics and the cpu itself, and not much else. New Ryzen 2xxx is only looking to be a small marked improvement and a slight clockspeed increase, nothing to hold breath for, but it should help it keep up. It won't be the end-all to processors, not by a long-shot, but it will still be quite good with Beamng.drive as current 1st-gen Ryzen is already.

As I always say, buy RAM that's on the motherboard QVL, that's why I say it, it can be confusing. Part numbers, on the other hand (on the QVL), are generally unique, and not so prone to error.

Via Wikipedia, Ryzen Desktop APU processors with VEGA graphics cores are:
    To be released February 2018...
    Ryzen 2200G 3.5ghz 3.7ghz turbo
    Ryzen 2400G 3.6ghz 3.9ghz turbo
    45~65watt processors, AM4 Socket (requires bios update for motherboards manufactured before 2/2018).

So no, no Ryzen APUs are out yet. Wait another month for those if you want one. They should be sufficient for mainstream gaming, not the highest FPS, not the best processor in the world, but certainly sufficient on a budget and should not be overlooked if budget is central to your up-coming PC build.

#24 bob.blunderton, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  5. EcoWagon

EcoWagon
    Expand Collapse

the CPU and motherboard will run on DDR3

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice