1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Whats' going on with the game content?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hati, May 19, 2018.

1. ¿Carbohydration?

¿Carbohydration?
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

And those all are ground vehicles.

Seeing the game branch out into different sectors of ground vehicles is different then branching out into whole different forms of transportation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Ewanc

Ewanc
    Expand Collapse

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I feel like this (in a very general sense) is directed at me, as a level builder. I had great success with my last release last winter and thank those who helped and supported it. But yeah, its way too much work and haven't so much as picked up my steering wheel in months. Level building at the developer quality level is extremely time consuming and the assets aren't cross compatible with other simulators. There are ways to import race tracks from other sims, but flooding this game with F1 tracks would be a mistake; even with good AI, there are still important things that you can't implement. Infact, I had the green light to port a bunch of race venues from a race sim but they just didn't fit this game, with the lack of competitive IA, career mode and not being very race oriented.

I'm in the process of rebooting my BeamNG modding efforts, but I'm hesitant to build race tracks or the huge stuff I had in the pipeline. It seems smarter to build levels around the cars and novel ideas that leverage the game's inherent physics capabilities rather than reproducing my favorite driving locations.

Edit: Specifically speaking; I ran into a problem with Pikes Peak where the height of the mountain from start to finish line was too great for the terrain system. This affected the precision of the ground to the point that a rally car could feel the bumps and hill climb cars would get unsettled around corners, like in my preview video. The level also took 5 minutes to load, which over the course of months of building add up quickly.

#42 Ewanc, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

This, very much this is what I have had hammering back of my skull for quite a while. We have incredible possibility with this sim to create physics playgrounds, where we use vehicles to play physics games of most creative kind. This is area that has not been very extensively explored yet, sure we have crazy jumps, crashing places etc. but do we have a games with a goal?

What would stop making physics platformer of vehicular kind for example?

My understanding is that it is perfectly possible to create puzzles and adventures within what we have available in this game and in a future possibilities are probably going to expand, so there is just so much to do and so little time :p

Yes, many aspects take more time that is really necessary, also some aspects are more challenging than necessarily, but that probably is going to improve too.

However I think novel ideas that work within limits of game are certainly something that could be thing for now. Surely exploring limits what is possible is needed too, that is where the progress comes, but novel ideas that utilize great physics is probably something to separate from rest of the scene.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice