1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Where are we going?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EruptionTyphlosion, Nov 17, 2018.

1. iplaybeam

iplaybeam
    Expand Collapse

does horrible count ricers too?

2. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

A well-done ricer is nothing bad.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

Or an ironic one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. veyasan.ragulan

veyasan.ragulan
    Expand Collapse

There is a difference between a "ricer" and an Automation Car which was poorly built without valid reasoning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. KiloHotel

KiloHotel
    Expand Collapse

Enough said? Yeah not really? That's pretty cheap. Is that what you were getting at?

Obviously that game isn't something to look up to because of the horrible execution.. It's the idea behind it, you start out with a small bit of cash, buy a used vehicle, and start earning money in various ways. Be that street racing, legit racing events, offroading, deliveries, blah blah blah. Could have persistent damage, the system is already partially developed. You would basically just use that money you earn to buy, upgrade and maintain your vehicle. I'm sure there could be other ways to progress as well, maybe some property ownership mechanic, or some shit like that. Could set it in mostly rural areas as an excuse to have manageable traffic levels.

How the hell doesn't beam fit into the tuner scene? Are you for real?

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

My 8350 was $200 new and it was top of the line, why would people go out and buy a used CPU for that same price? And no, it's not cheap moneybags. People aren't shelling out $400 for a CPU.

Please tell me how Beam would actually give a better execution than that game. Again, the open world is empty, there's no properties to own, the vehicles aren't particularly set up in classes. What do you start with?
    You people are starting to be infuriating. You just keep saying YES! without actually thinking about it. What you're describing can really only currently be basically a series of scenarios, where they add in a bit of cash rewards to fix damage and buy new cars. The mechanic of paying to fix damage in a game where your axle can be ripped off sounds infuriating, but hey, you redo that race 15 times until the AI doesn't touch you, or you touch anything so that $2000 you won isn't negated by the $15,000 of damage. Or maybe you just buy a new car.
    Speaking of buying new cars, why would anyone buy the Miramar? The Pigeon? The Burnside? The bus? The Gavril 18 wheeler? The Gavril van? The box truck?

It fits in with the Tuner scene about as much as Assetto Corsa. I mean sure, they aren't race cars, but you can't really do much to Need for Speed or Forza it. The game handles drifting quite poorly. Yeah, you can tune the cars, but you can do it Assetto Corsa too. Most cars don't really have "tuner" stuff you can to it.

Again, really, seriously I want you to think about it instead of just getting upset. How does it actually work? Do you really think if everyone bought a $400 cpu that 8 cars is enough to justify an open world? What about the campaign would really actually be different than the scenarios already included?

• Like Like x 1
  7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It would not harm to experiments less open world maps like what ETS2 has, those are just pipe runs with some branches here and there, but they give illusion of there being something more.

JRI has pretty much just pipe runs, some roads which are restricted quite a bit by tree walls, then pretty muhc useless ground between the roads. Impression of jungle probably is possible to make even without having all of that island, it could be just few fake sets around road to give illusion of the world, road itself could be pieces of mesh, that might allow a lot more road to be built.

Something I have been hoping to experiment with, but time has been quite limited.
    --- Post updated ---
    Hmm, it seems BeamNG.Drive is best of the best in driving sims, interestingly Dirt rally is about same, it has ~14000 votes and BeamNG has ~12000 votes, both have 89% positive rating:
    upload_2018-12-19_21-56-54.png

iRacing is often praised, but people are not happy with it.

Online gameplay of course changes things a lot, but it is surprising how happy people are to this game, so much improvements are still planned so I'm thinking that we are going to something great.

Oh and yes I put F1 games on ignore as they are marketed so strongly, always showing up and I'm not really interested from them at all :p

Kinda funny how MSC is so much liked though, it is really really buggy game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

I honestly dont see many bugs in MSC, always worked great for me...besides the random glitches with self collision and things inside the car falling out randomly, everything seems to work fine.

9. veyasan.ragulan

veyasan.ragulan
    Expand Collapse

Woah there, just because they're creating a career mode doesn't mean that free-roam will be abandoned. Also we don't have much information on career mode, so it seems silly to me to make up your mind like that without that much information. I don't think that this career mode has to follow in the footsteps of Forza or NFS necessarily, but they probably came up with a reason to play a race 15 times over. Also you're exaggerating the potential race scenarios a bit in my opinion. You won't rip your axel off if you drive sensibly, which pretty much similuates real racing. There might not be say a 20-car race, but they might create sometging cool. As for a "motive" well theres nothing we can tell about any reasoning, so I'm just waiting on that. There is also probably a reason for Performance and Off-road classes for each config. Racing with multiple cars probably isn't the only thing to do, considering a fully-fledged bus sim mode was released, so racing might not be the key aspect of the career mode. Tuning could be improved as the game gets closer to release, and the Garage is probably going to have some purpose in tuning. Gamergull created a cool system in his/her mods where the AI traffic travels towards or away from you, and after a set distance, that car teleports to another area of the map either behind or in front of you, giving the illusion of traffic. It's cool and difficultin some situations, so the devs may be be inspired by that. I wouldn't make an opinion like that until I've really seen more things that could be attributed to career mode. Who knows what the devs are cooking up?

(Also excuse the grammar/spelling. I was typing on mobile.)

10. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Items randomly dissappearing, hotspots randomly not working, parts not getting on their place which is fixed by loading game again, which then advances time again.

Green car is randomly found from ditch, yellow car driver manages to drift himself dead at front of store etc.

Gifu windows randomly exploding when emptying tank, then they are fine after loading a game again.

It is full of bugs (you can find steam discussion of game and there is even thread full of bugs) really as much that many of the bugs are kinda like features at this point :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

Thats kinda what I was thinking...if there are quirky parts of the car falling off (like the battery just disconnects and falls to the bottom of the enginebay) its like "immersive" at that point lol

12. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

BeamNG will soon abandon the node/beam model in favor of one based on building blocks.

upload_2018-12-19_19-19-4.png

#652 vmlinuz, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  13. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

I did not say nor imply that free roam would be removed. I said it serves no measurable purpose in a career since they can't have a full traffic system without major pop-in like a mod. Forza, Assetto Corsa, Need For Speed, Burnout, Onrush, etc can all utilize more than 4-8 cars at any given time. How are you supposed to do an open world free roam with only 3-7 other characters at any given time?

With how well the current AI works in races, more damage would be done by them than you, or them ramming you off the road, into a rock, and ripping your axle off, or hitting a tree. What happens then? Do you just restart the race, and keep doing that until you get through with less damage, or is your car totaled and you have to buy a new one? What if you're out of money? Game over? Yeah, that sounds fun. I love getting screwed over by AI.

You guys really keep missing my point, HOW IS IT DIFFERENT FROM A SERIES OF SCENARIOS?

14. KiloHotel

KiloHotel
    Expand Collapse

So, the lack of dense traffic is your entire issue? The damage is already nerfed compared to a real car, harder than any other game... but really that's an issue to you? The current AI system is a very rough placeholder, I've seen a number of posts about unreleased AI improvements. What do you want, Need for Speed / Forza with more realism?? Go play those, they have what you want. The game is continually being optimized, apparently the next patch will be another big round of optimizations. You seem to forget this game is early access, its also ENTIRELY NEW TECHNOLOGY ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE MORE COMPLEX THAN THE PREVIOUS STANDARD "SOLID BRICK" VEHICLE SIMULATION IN EVERY DRIVING GAME UP TO THIS ONE.* Kinda takes some time to perfect, stfu and give it some time. Go play NFS or Forza Horizon.

How is any game different from a series of scenarios? You just transport yourself to them in an open world game... I don't see your point once again.. The single player would presumably be a bunch of "scenarios" on the map that you'd unlock through progression and drive to them like any other open world game, kinda GTA style.

*Any commercially released product, Rfactor and LFS had some sort of node / beam style tire simulation as far as I'm aware which was a step in beams direction.

#654 KiloHotel, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. veyasan.ragulan

veyasan.ragulan
    Expand Collapse

So then what is your point? Do you want a career mode at all? As @KiloHotel mentioned, games like NFS and Forza horizon are just a buncho scenarios on an open world layout. And the AI; it's still being tweaked and worked on right now, so it will get more advanced over time. I don't even mind the AI right now: seems challenging yet not impossible to defeat.

16. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

You guys are genuinely infuriating. I just said that it can't do that, not that I want that. You keep pussyfooting around and not answering the actual question.

Okay, so it IS just a set of scenarios, but then you drive through an empty barren map from point A to point B to start the scenario?
    So... again, how is that different from what's currently in the game other than you drive from one place to another in between?
    I WANT you guys to really think about what the career mode would actually be and entail instead of saying "STFU and go play Forza."

The game has serious limitations that need to be considered and so far no one has done anything. Personally, yeah, I don't much care one way or another if there's a career mode, but no one can seem to actually discuss what that would actually realistically entail. Scenarios are already in the game, if all you want is to drive from starting point to starting point, that really shouldn't be that hard to do. Honestly that's a dumb way to do a career. The difference with Forza is that there's progression through cars, series, and classes. Otherwise it's an open sandbox to just drive around in, except it can also manage to not have a completely barren world.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. KiloHotel

KiloHotel
    Expand Collapse

Obviously... Fucking obviously dude, that's what I meant by progression.. Why do you think they'd have a career mode that's just a sandbox with no point in doing shit? Could easily add in money, have it so you start with very little and have a few cars to choose from, start with a shit box, and maybe even have a schit house that can only store one car. So you'd have to buy another if you wanted two, etc etc etc etc etc etc. Pretty damn sure the devs are gonna be doing more than just a bunch of races or time trials... If that's all they plan on, which from what I've read lots on here they don't, then I'll be severely dissapointed. Pretty sure years ago I read one of the devs wishing to recreate Street Legal: Racing Redline's sorta basic idea / theme.

Also, the whole empty baren world thing is really annoying. Get a better CPU, firstly, stop blaming your inability or willingness to save up for a good CPU on the performance requirements of the game. There's already 2 player made scenerios that use a simple LUA script to spawn AI in that actually acts as decent traffic with decent performance.. These are quick and dirty LUA scripts spawning full detail player vehicles. I'd imagine the devs could make some hidden vehicles that only the AI can use that have lower detail meshes, textures and possibly even slightly less detailed Jbeams so that they would load quicker and be less resource intensive... blah blah blah.

#657 KiloHotel, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  18. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

K. I'm done.
    You win master of intelligence.
    Way to actually think about... whatever.

19. veyasan.ragulan

veyasan.ragulan
    Expand Collapse

Of course there's gonna be some kind of progression, I kinda talked about it, but whatever. There is a monetary value linked to each car, which is going to most likely translate to buying cars and houses maybe. The Performance Class/Offroad Class is potentially a PI thing for BeamNG, which prevents certain car to enter a challenge/race. Delivered, chases, spy mission, sabotage missions, these could all be added with races. Traffic can be modeled similar to @Gamergull and the traffic system he/she invented (it literally blew my mind when I first saw it). there could be random stuff happening too, like an accident. The Garage could be a screen that you go to when you enter your (home)base. I've already discussed this before in my previous posts, but we can always bring this up again. You're probably gonna start off with the beater Covet or the Terrible or Awful, then buy cars and upgrade/tune to get to the top of certain distinct series (road, rally, offroad, drag, drift, ?). Maybe you could start talking about your proposals, maybe expand on the brief mentioning of career mode in another post you made instead of asking us why we aren't speculating about career mode. People are just waiting for more news after the over-the-horizon thread made by the devs. It's been discussed before, but it wasn't elaborated on since no-one was and still is expecting career mode at any point in the future.

20. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

After what the devs have been saying, I am expecting at least a light career mode in 2019.

I know the Pigeon was suppose to be the “you’re broke and need a set of wheels” car originally.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice