1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Where are we going?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EruptionTyphlosion, Nov 17, 2018.

1. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Expand Collapse

They hired a senior producer? Can you provide a link so I can read into this, please?

2. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Thanks for your concerns, and thanks people for keeping the discussion clean so far.

You are right on different points.

Technical Debt
    Yes, there's some discrepancy between early and more recent content.

As we make new content, we get more experienced and learn new, better workflows, and get to know the limits of the tools we work with better. This leads to new content that looks qualitatively different from much older one.

This implies that we have not done anything else during that period, which is not correct.
    The team is divided into departments (Art, Vehicles, Sounds, etc.). Each department is not necessarily all focused on a single project, a few people could be doing preparation work for other (future and not) content, while the majority is helping with what's higher in priority and depending on how many people are actually needed.

So for example while a map had its optimization done in a second moment, it does not mean that we were not doing else in that period other than that. This applies to most departments.

We do have in the plans to up our older maps standards to our current ones too.. *wink*

Lack of focus
    Yeah, making a first game is not exactly a straight downhill road (more like a broken staircase to climb). We are learning from this, gaining experience and doing our best to reach our goals.

Yes, we indeed recently got a producer too (translates into an improvement in our organization), to help us toward reaching those goals more efficiently. He will introduce himself sometime soon :)

Career mode may see far and not in focus, but in reality we have been working hard on protypes, which we are using to shape a better plan for this, learning from the things that don't work and keeping in mind the things we have promised. It's a long and tedious work that won't be visible until closer to completion.

We have a lot of other things focused on, such as replacing the tools you and us uses, like the World Editor to something better and more reliable, and so on. Again these are things that needs time and that we will show when we know they will be interesting to see (and not too early, as Italy taught us.. ).

Hope this clears up the doubts :)

I typed this on phone, quite painful experience. Pardon typos or if I did not go indepth with something.

• Like Like x 20
    • Informative Informative x 4
  4. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Great, so what is the current state of the Autobello, if you don't mind me asking?

5. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the response! :)

Some things I noticed though.

It would be nice to see this come to fruition at some point. This has been brought up numerous times over the years by various staff members, yet nothing has been seen.

Here I was referring to work being able to be done by the level design team, not the whole team in general, sorry for the confusion.

Also, thanks for a detailed response! :)

6. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Progresses are very bello!
    I won't spoil too much about what we are doing to it, you'll need to wait patiently till it's released.

It will be worth it :)

I was referring to both :)
    Art department can work on different things are the same time (especially with some changes made to the level files system, which helped for a more collaborative workflow)

Rough example:
    • A person working on refreshing some assets in a map
    • A few people working on optimizing some map
    • Most people working on where more work is needed / where higher priority is

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  7. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I think @Littleturdlet has a good point about why modes like the bus routes and light runner was added before career mode.

Career mode to me sounds like it will definitely change BeamNG forever, in probably thousands of different aspects. I'm no expert, but I'm positive there's a lot that needs to be done.

And I look forward to the day that I can finally enjoy the bus routes and light runner without some kind of issue getting the way, like that stupid freezing I've been dealing with since February. I don't really see what's wrong with the bus routes and light runner. If anything I think that gives BeamNG even more of a towering advantage over Wreckfest. You definitely can't drive a city bus and pick up passengers or flamboyantly zip around an A E S T H E T I C 80's Tron style retrofuturistic city in Wreckfest.

Also, I freaking hate how people keeps taking a dump all over the Automation collaboration. I think it was pretty nice and adds something cool to BeamNG. I really wish these people would look at it from a different perspective. I guess it's simply easy to bash on it.

I do agree that the current rate of content is not so good. 2015 and 2016 all had multiple cars released in the same year, but 2017 and most likely 2018 all had simply one vehicle throughout the entire year. Very disappointing.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry, I have waited patiently. With no sign that it's even going to be released this year, you'll have to excuse us for wondering what the hell's going on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TheDiamondLord8

TheDiamondLord8
    Expand Collapse

this is where we're going.

(it's just a joke)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lake1114

Lake1114
    Expand Collapse

Where are we going, from here? where do we go? how do we know?

11. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

*cue Axle Rose*

12. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Expand Collapse

I don't see any advantage except for the physics simulation itself. In every other aspect, Wreckfest was able to make a 180 degree turn and went from a dead game to a successful title. You can drive a bus in a city with no people or cars around only for so long before being bored to death.

• Agree Agree x 7
  13. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Which is unfortunate, because now they're trying to out do BeamNG, even though the only thing Wreckfest has to offer is demolition derbies. Bugbear really needs to bug off and stop trying to be better.

And with BeamNG's current development vehicle wise, they're getting left in the dust by them. Wreckfest currently has the kind of cars BeamNG is lacking, and that annoys me a lot.

14. The Shotty

The Shotty
    Expand Collapse

>stop trying to be better
    >talking about a game which is better in pretty much every way

15. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

No, it's not.

16. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Huh? Bugbear hasn’t really changed the direction of their game since they decided what they were doing with it. The first couple versions after the tech demo they weren’t sure if they were going sim or arcade, but once they made up their mind they stuck to it. Wreckfest’s races are also far better than their demo derbies IMO. Once they got a publisher the pace really picked up until release. After PC release things got weird with them again. Work on console has been slow and since the last update, which was months ago, they have twice said more content for PC is coming.

Once career mode comes out I think things will clear up concerning the game’s niche. I can’t think of any open world car games with customization that aren’t arcade, and it’s been a long time since I’ve liked any of the arcade ones

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Well, BeamNG is a game that is shaped by modders, can't say there being much other ones like this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. corvette81

corvette81
    Expand Collapse

except like every other pc game... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Where other games developers have added features that modders have requested or changed game so that WIP mod will be better supported?

Here developers constantly do something like that.

20. The Shotty

The Shotty
    Expand Collapse

apart from all the other games that also have a huge modding community, like GTAV, or Assetto Corsa, or things like ETS or ATS
    BeamNG isn't special because people make mods for it

• Agree Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice