1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Where are we going?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EruptionTyphlosion, Nov 17, 2018.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Can't really comment many of those points, but I think update interval is less than 5 months, so I guess you would prefer monthly updates?
    Do you have suggestions how to make release version with faster cycle as if I remember correctly in earlier discussions they did mentioned it taking so much time that 2 month cycle is not going to work? Might be of course impossible to tell as there is not much information about process.

I think that there was something regarding the list that was among lines of list not being absolute guide to content.

I'm curious if your list would have different points to Shotty's list?

2. The Shotty

The Shotty
    Expand Collapse

They don't have time because they're busy fixing the game engine that they keep breaking and adding pointless things like a Tron inspired track racing mode

Even before THQ nordic came in, the game still had a goal, and you could see where the company was aiming to go
    and even BeamNG has months of wait between updates that add no real features to people that want a finished game that has a purpose; I don't think i can name anything in the recent update that actually gave out a new, useful feature to the game

3. FestiveAidan130

FestiveAidan130
    Expand Collapse

4. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your reply Nadeox. If I may point out something that to me, appears to be an overriding fact that constantly gets zero attention on this subject:

The game engine itself.

I would guess at least 95% of the community does not even begin to understand what you guys are trying to do with the underlying Torque3D engine.
    I would guess 95% of the community does not understand how or why it isn't just "easy squeezy" to pop out content like other development houses do.
    I would guess 95% of the community does not understand why, on most updates, mods are destroyed, materials disappear or forest meshes won't delete.

You guys are taking an open source 3D engine, tearing it apart stem to stern, and putting it back together to suit the aspirations you and us seek.
    That clearly takes a unique and probably uncomfortable communication scheme to the community you guys just do not want to get into.

I do not understand that logic, or the immense incidental community workload you made for yourselves by releasing software in this fashion.
    I feel as if you guys struggle with each and every update to adequately handle the influx of community feedback on exactly why their beloved mod
    broke. I get the sense that you guys are trying your absolute hardest to address and explain what's going on with BeamNG but you just can't, because
    of the technical nature of what you are doing does not translate...at all.

I love this software (not a game), to the ends of the Earth and wish you guys could find a way to communicate the wishes, dreams, visions and desires the team
    intends to pursue going forward. I understand why you guys refuse to even remotely entertain a "retail date", "online roll out" or anything like it, we are light years
    from seeing any of this and your surgery to make the engine "ours" is the reason why. Countless updates that all pan out the same way tells the story.

How many of your goals are actually practical? Where do you draw the line and the people can plop down $49.99 for the retail version of this game?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Expand Collapse

The huge problem I have with BeamNG is that I find it tedious to set up anything. In Wreckfest, I am a couple of clicks (very important) away from playing a demolition derby with any car I want on any track etc., while in BeamNG I have to battle the current UI and several loading times to get the desired result. I think a feature that would let me build any scenario that I want from "spawn sets" on any map would be an amazing addition. Especially the simple stuff like police chases and demo derbies.

Also, despite Wreckfest having artificial crash simulation, I find it way more satisfying because it looks and feels right. BeamNG is good for the general simulation of a car crash but falls apart at the small details such as dents, particles and part clipping. PBR would help remedy this, so fingers crossed that we'll get to experience it in the near future.

• Agree Agree x 12
  6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I can name for example:
    New camera
    Vehicle drawing distance is now 10x what it was before
    New beam type which added torsion bar simulation to game
    Rotating hydro

Not sure if any of those is something you had in mind though, as you might have more like gameplay features in mind?

• Like Like x 1
  7. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I have a issue that the game feels repetitive, because I already done almost everything you can do in the game. The ones I don't do is because I lack interest in them, and the ones I do, I have been doing for the last 5 years in the game, whether it was in 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, and this year.

I also think the lack of optimization is still a prominent issue. WCA is still one FPS-eater, and multiple people have to suffer through slow UI in-game (I also suffer a bit of lag in the UI).

Just giving a few honest opinions I have about the game.

#127 General S'mores, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. The Shotty

The Shotty
    Expand Collapse

The only worth-while things i see on there are the rotating hydros and torsion bars

but you're right that i was thinking more of things that affect the game as a whole, rather than minor things that most people won't use unless it's in a mod or pre-existing feature that contains it already

9. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

My mention of Wreckfest as my "go to" today is strictly rooted in my incredible frustration with the current state of what the hell BeamNG is doing.
    BeamNG isn't really even comparable to Wreckfest except for the general theory of both. Wreckfest deformation involves a much different process and
    while it looks decent it is FAR from being the Rosetta Stone that is the jbeam.

BugBear has done a fantastic job of sticking with it through thick and thin, and Wreckfest is hands down the most detailed and best deforming retail game
    on the planet. I find it to be extremely fun and entertaining online. Sadly, I do not see that future for BeamNG for many years. Prove me wrong.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Also, the mods are what are keeping the game alive with activity. Without them, the game would've been way more empty and boring than it is now. But since I mentioned how there's a lack of quality mods, that's really hurting what enhanced the game's play-ability.

By the way, I feel like 0.14 is much smaller of a jump than 0.13 in my opinion. It doesn't feel like a big package and would've worked better as another part (as in update) of 0.13.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I think we can all agree that BeamNG is in a rather dubious situation. Common ground we can all stand on.

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Devs, just call the whole thing off and quit before you waste even more money and time. BeamNG has collapsed, it's dead. There is no future. No use keeping this project on life support... seems to be the general mood in here. Quit it with the doom and gloom, there's good stuff on its way.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. 98crownvic

98crownvic
    Expand Collapse

Excuse me? This game has come so far, and has become a pretty darn good physics and automobile simulator, so I don’t think dropping the game would be the brightest idea in the drawer.

• Agree Agree x 10
  14. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Read the rest of the post. I accidentally hit submit before I was done writing :p

15. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

EDIT: Removed

#135 MisterKenneth, Nov 18, 2018
  16. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

I made an honest mistake and you compare me to Dr. Evil :|

17. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

No, that was a response. What you said simply seemed odd to me. Sorry.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Did I miss something?

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. The Shotty

The Shotty
    Expand Collapse

99% of people did
    welcome to the 1%

20. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

On another note... Why are the bus mode/light runner tracks/holiday fun modes getting so much hate? A lot of people like them. Sure the bus mode could use improvements, but it’s an early access game, that’s to be expected. I’m still waiting for my whilhelm scream if any devs are listening

It’s some nice extra content. If they didn’t do stuff like that then everyone would be complaining about no content even more... IMO the light runner mode is a silly name and should’ve just been given a new tab under quick races, but it’s still fun and isn’t exactly forced content.

Yes development is slow going, but I’m willing to be patient. I got no reason to care how fast development is within reason.

#140 ManfredE3, Nov 18, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice