Who's Going to Go See Cars 3?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by YellowRusty, Jun 1, 2017.

1. asf2424

asf2424
    Expand Collapse

yes im gonna see

2. Haida

Haida
    Expand Collapse

I would like to but i can't :/

3. Brownzy03

Brownzy03
    Expand Collapse

The movie was actually pretty good! I saw it yesterday.

(P.S., Han Solo dies at the end :rolleyes:)

4. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

Alright, Review time!

I had the interesting experience of being the only one in the auditorium for my showing - apparently nobody really wants to visit the cheap theatre to see the late showing of an animated movie on Monday night, even if it is a Pixar production.

Your enjoyment may vary based on how many screaming kids are present at your particular screening. :D

Overall, I was impressed with the lifelike quality of the animation, and the excellent attention to background details. No matter where you look on the screen at any time, there is something of visual interest going on. Nothing really feels like it's the work of a computer algorithm, even the huge crowds. From a purely visual and technical standpoint, this is an excellent animated film.

As you may well have expected, A113 makes several appearances, ranging from extremely obvious (seriously, it takes up the entire screen at one point), to nearly invisible (keep an eye on the cars interviewing racers)

The Pizza Planet truck also makes its expected appearance, and they toy with the roof-mounted rocket in a fun way.

The Luxo ball shows up as well. Keep your eyes peeled during the derby!

My favorite reference is that the ambulances that rush to Doc Hudson's aid during the beach race appear to have similar paint jobs to the ambulances in Up. They're not exactly the same vehicles, but they could plausibly belong to the same department.

Plot-wise, I felt that the pace of the film may have been a bit rushed. Clocking in at 108 minutes of runtime, (presumably not counting the credits, which you'll want to stick around for just to see the images they throw in here and there), this film is roughly twenty minutes shorter than the average movie on today's market (Cars = 117 min., Cars 2 = 120 min., Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 = 138 min.), and it unfortunately shows.
    Those extra twenty minutes may have smoothed the transitions between scenes, which felt less like a story and more like a montage at times.
    I'm certain that some professional critics will accuse Pixar of designing the movie to shuttle the characters from one playset to another as fast as possible, but that's not quite the impression I received watching it. It felt more like a team of creative, well-meaning people who genuinely wanted to make a good movie was given a strict time limit, and the results suffered from trying to pack everything they wanted into it.

Taken as a sequence of individual, self-contained scenes, the film does quite well. Each scene is heartwarming or exciting in its own way, with the derby standing out in particular. I would have been able to say that my assumption in the OP was correct if the ticket hadn't cost me ten dollars instead of eight!

Seriously, just listen to the theme music from that scene. Brad Paisley returns to the franchise once more and really knocks it out of the park with this half-country, half-hard rock theme:

Unfortunately, the final race was the scene that appeared to suffer the most from the lack of time. The mid-race swap was a satisfying move, although it may have been improved if there was some mechanical or technical reason for Mcqueen to be sidelined. The trouble was that everything happened so fast that there wasn't time to grasp the significance of what was going on, or even understand how it was happening. A few extra seconds and a few altered lines would have vastly improved it.

Everything after the final race worked wonderfully. It was an excellent ending to an excellent movie, except for just one thing ...
    ...Seriously Pixar? I sat through until the screen went dark and all I get is ten seconds of Mater singing? Everything in the credits sequence was great up until that point, but this just felt like you were trolling me.

I'm very disappointed that you didn't show us short clips of Upshift, Ratrodatouille, Brev, The Incredimobiles, or Interior Out. Very disappointed!

5. Vinh

Vinh
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

how is it? good?

6. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Cars 1 is kinda the movie of my childhood, so I guess I may go ahead and go watch it... When I find it onto pirated movie websites ^^

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

Yes. I'd put it above Cars 2, but below Up. In my opinion, it's at about the same level as Toy Story 2.

8. aesthetic_tea

aesthetic_tea
    Expand Collapse

I've watched Cars 3 the day it came out, and Pixar (Especially John Lasseter) did some good work!

9. Flippi 284

Flippi 284
    Expand Collapse

I saw it. way better than cars 2. cars 1 still better tho.

10. Silvally

Silvally
    Expand Collapse

Because it's a meme!!!!

I'm hyped for Shrek 5 even tho it's long way.

11. BannedByAndroid

BannedByAndroid
    Expand Collapse

I rather watch "Baby Driver".

12. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

Saw cars 3 with Family and Friends 2 days ago (my birthday, seen on profile) and the ending was awesome! Won't spoil it for the people that still haven't.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice