1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Why Am I Lagging?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Venomox, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Venomox

Venomox
    Expand Collapse

I don't understand why my laptop is lagging on Drive. My specs:

NVIDIA GeForce 650M
    12gb Ram
    i7 @ 2.3gh

Frames on lowest settings with enlarged 1024x728 window, at spawn with D15:
    Dry Rock Island - 17
    Airplane - 22

My computer has run everything else I've thrown at it with high medium-high settings. It's really frustrating for me.

2. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

The 650M is a very very slow card. I have a regular GTX 650 on a test machine and it can barely run BeamNG on low/medium settings, so I imagine the mobile version is even worse. Torque3D is not that well-optimized graphically, and our maps are very dense with foliage, so it can be quite taxing on even a decent GPU (but yours is pretty low-end).

Also, an i7 with 2.3 Ghz is on the slow side of things. I'd recommend a clock speed of at least 3 Ghz (and I'm assuming it's quad core, hyperthreaded, like all other i7s, which is good). If you're running on a laptop you probably can't overclock it. I'm not sure if you're being bottlenecked by physics (CPU) or graphics (GPU). I would assume graphics, but that clock speed is pretty low.

3. Rand0mPsych0

Rand0mPsych0
    Expand Collapse

Well, the difference between the GTX 650 and the mobile GT 650M is a massive power difference. The GTX 650 has a 1.1 GHz clock, while the GT 650M only has a clock of 850 MHz, making a small but noticeable difference in graphic intensive games like BeamNG. Along with the higher clock speed, the GTX 650 is equipped with GDDR5 RAM, while the GT 650M only has DDR3, giving the GTX 650 a better processing speed than the GT 650M.

Also the GT 650M has only a little advantage over the Intel HD 4000 Integrated Graphics card, which isn't any good with games.

4. Venomox

Venomox
    Expand Collapse

Not that it'll ever happen, but maybe someday the engine can be optimized for a massive amount of people to play.

5. Rand0mPsych0

Rand0mPsych0
    Expand Collapse

Be a little optimistic.;)

6. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

The only way to "Optimize" it more would be to lower some detail and take a few things away, which doesn't sound good to me. I doubt there is much to Optimize anyway, because even if they optimize the graphics and make it less intensive, the CPU would be the next problem for 99% of people.

If you want more FPS, try out lower detailed mods like my DSC Buggy and DSC Skateboard:
    http://www.beamng.com/threads/4666-DSC-Skateboard-V1
    http://www.beamng.com/threads/4776-DSC-Buggy-Alpha-release-V3

If you want good performance at a lower price, you need a desktop. Laptops just aren't cut out for games like BeamNG.drive. :)

7. Pandemic4444

Pandemic4444
    Expand Collapse

hi i seem to be haveing a problem with this game and i want to play it because it is better that rigs of rods and my issue seems to be the game runs slow. i have a spectre 50 inch tv max of 1600x960 (i think). i have a gt 620 graphics card, 8 gb ram, 3.2 ghz intel core, 1 terabite hard drive. a 1000 dollar computer and its not running right. any suggestions?

8. Arm0sius

Arm0sius
    Expand Collapse

I have GT520M and most of the time with most cars I'm not lagging. I get 25-30 fps, and even more with cars like DSC Buggy. Resolution: 1366x768
    CPU: Intel i5 2.3 GHz 4 cpus
    4 GB RAM

9. Pandemic4444

Pandemic4444
    Expand Collapse

well it seems to me that shall i say the game is running slowly.

10. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Your graphics card is way below the minimum requirements. A GTX 650 would be barely adequate, and your card is much much slower. Also, if your processor is a Core 2 Duo, and not an i3 or i5, then it's also around or below the minimum requirements. You're mostly likely getting graphical lag, so I suggest turning all the graphics settings to low/lowest and turning off postFX and SSAO.

11. pf12351

pf12351
    Expand Collapse

May I just ask, what about a GTX 660?

12. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

GTX 660 should be able to run the game on normal settings at reasonable resolutions (1080p or smaller)

13. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

My 560 handles it just fine at max settings and 1200p (around 45FPS average). Since a 660 will be nothing but a step up, it should be fine.

14. pf12351

pf12351
    Expand Collapse

@TheAdmiester

Thanks, I was just curious. Good to know my graphics card is decent :)

15. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

My non-reference ASUS GTX 760 maxes out the settings at right around my monitor's actual 60 Hz refresh rate, so I'm happy. Not a bad card for $230. (got on a sale.) The XFX GTX 260 Black which it replaced ran the game at maximum settings minus SSAO at 40 FPS-ish. Processor is Sandy Bridge i7 @ 3.4 GHz, Memory is 4x4GB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24. P67 Chipset, Rev B2 (haven't hit the SATA 6Gb/s problems yet with B2 chipset, no need to RMA and be stuck without a PC for ~1 month)

#15 pulley999, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  16. djordsh

djordsh
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

My laptop runs the game well, but I had to turn down settings super low, witch I don't mind. It just makes it look funny. :)

17. Venomox

Venomox
    Expand Collapse

I may be looking into a custom PC for Christmas. Last year I got the laptop for going house to house every other day, but a desktop to run BeamNG a few days a week is so worth it ;)

I've been looking at GeGorce 780 Ti's and i7's. The i7 is ideal because I make 40 videos a year, and that extra rendering power would be handy.

18. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Really? My GTX 650ti boost can handle BeamNG on high settings.. (Overclocked, of course)

19. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

GTX 650ti Boost is leaps and bounds above a regular GTX 650, and especially faster than a 650M. Trust me, I have a GTX 650 on a secondary computer - it sucks ass at running BeamNG (or any game for that matter). That's what you get in a $120 GPU.

20. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

650 Ti cards give nearly double the performance of a bog-standard 650 on paper. Or at least that's what this website is telling me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice