1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Why Am I Lagging?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Venomox, Oct 30, 2013.

1. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

i do, its called, actually knowing what there talking about, also, because minecraft is strange that way, it works differently in diff pc's, even if said pc's, have EXACTLY, the same specs (cpu, gpu, ram, case, motherboard, disc drive, and so on)

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I'll throw the inability to click links thing back at you with an inability to read. A) Those claims he makes are entirely unsubstantiated beyond 1 screenshot, I am yet to see anyone duplicate those results. B) My dedicated card on my *desktop* cannot hit 200FPS.
    Minecraft is not a nicely optimised game like GTA4 or saints row 3 or watch dogs. Its hideously optimised and running in the JVM (also the reason why it runs differently on different PC's regardless of spec, thanks to people not always updating java to the same level or people being idiot morons running it in 32 bit java on 64 bit windows) instead of native code, LWJGL isn't the best optimised library either.

I'm pretty sure that you will find more people able to prove that guy and his single screenshot wrong than right.

But hey, I'm just a computer programmer, I know nothing about computers and havent got a clue what I am on about. No, you hate me, I get that, its the internet, I don't care

3. simon48

simon48
    Expand Collapse

Right, because the case and disc drive affect gaming performance soooo much. Are you kidding me? It doesn't need to be exactly the same when big gaming rigs (that are 4+ times faster) have trouble doing that.

4. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

THIS, IS, MINECRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, i genrally get 200+ fps on my intel hd 2500, dont belive me, fine, thats your choice, honestly, your as bad as that one person who refused to belive that his laptop was the worst he could have gotten

obviously, no one here has even played minecraft in a while, or you would know that in the latest versions, optomization is actually a trillion times better then normal, also, what do you mean its not as optimized as gta iv, gta iv is one of the worst optomized games ever, (or so people say, i personally get 45+ fps myself at lowest settings)

#104 logoster, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  5. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

Minecraft isn't horribly optimised?

Please, I haven't heard a joke that good in a long time.

If it's not horribly optimised, explain why for me it runs for about 1 minute at 80FPS, then drops down to less then 1FPS, rendering the game entirely unplayable on a GTX560 and 3570 with 8GB of memory? I literally can't get in the game long enough for FRAPS to screenshot my framerate.

GTA IV on the other hand, gets an average of around 45FPS with ICEnhancer installed (an extremely taxing mod), and actually maintains that framerate instead of utterly dying.

I haven't properly played the PC version of Minecraft in around a year and a half. I'm literally forced to play the Xbox 360 version when I want to play it because unlike Mojang, 4J made a decent job of optimising it for the hardware it's running on.

EDIT: Oh, and to compare, BeamNG, the game a lot of people claim runs like crap on their computers because it actually IS intensive? I can get a solid 40FPS with up to 4 cars on maximum settings and 1920x1200. If you think Minecraft is well made you're an utter liar.

6. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

its called bloat, which casues minecraft to slow down, personally, ive NEVER, seen minecraft go below 60 frames on my pc

7. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

That's your PC. If users are getting massively inconsistent experiences, for example you getting better performance on a weaker machine, you haven't done a good job on your game.

Stop trying to defend Minecraft so much, it's a good game but there's no way it's better optimised then GTA IV.

8. simon48

simon48
    Expand Collapse

I just ran a clean, vanilla install of Minecraft 1.7 and the best the highest frame rate I saw was ~150. This is on my 750m and my quad core i7, if I use the same computer and switch to my Iris Pro the best I saw was ~130 FPS. I was running on Mac OS X so I'm sure I could get some more out of it if I tested it in Windows, but I wouldn't be close to getting the 250-400 FPS that I need to start to think an Intel HD 2500 could get 200 FPS.

P.S. I love how you left a edit note that makes it look like you called me, SixSixSevenSeven or both of us an idiot, but removed it to not get in trouble.

#108 simon48, Nov 17, 2013
  9. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

well, imt rying to defend it, because there insisting that i shouldnt get more then 30 fps on lowest settings, when look at that, i get 200+ fps most of the time, also, how come people are always saying gta iv is one of the worst optomized games then, if people here are saying that minecraft is worse (of course, to me, the most unoptimized game is saints row 2, such a pain to work with, lol)

10. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Why do all threads eventually turn into computer hardware arguements

11. simon48

simon48
    Expand Collapse

Don't get me wrong I love Minecraft, but it's horribly optimized and has horrendous coding practices and Java is also terribly optimized. The best example I have is Minecraft does a full refresh of all textures (animated or not) every tick on the VRAM, putting way too much strain on the bus.

12. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

ok, my point is, everyone has diff experiences, as minecraft works differently on diff pc's, weather they have the same exact specs or not, so i probably am getting lucky, and minecraft runs well for me, while for (what seems like this whole entire forum website) doesnt run well

13. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

The java virtual machine by default can only use 1gb of RAM as a heads up. You can allocate it more though.

I have sunk too many hours into that game. I spent so much time getting obsessed over that game that I never studied for my A-level exams and failed them first time around (and before you throw a hissy fit at me, yeah, my fault, I know, I spent enough time kicking myself over it and don't need you jumping in too, besides I retook the year and got myself into uni for would you look at that: computer science, yep, totally clueless about computer aren't I). I admin'd a public server. No one can accuse my of not playing minecraft, even in a while (considering I was able to play it while writing a post above)

No. Its called poor optimisation. Point to bloat, oh wait, vanilla game install, there isn't any beyond the poor optimisation in the base code itself.
    Point to where anyone said that. Go on.

And yeah, I did catch the idiot thing. It really wasn't appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

That is a great one. In theory they should only need to do that when changing texture pack and if they want to cover their asses, world changes (nether etc), sleeping and graphics setting changes (which would also include texture packs again) but these would be overkill

#113 SixSixSevenSeven, Nov 17, 2013
  14. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

I'm aware of that, but the sheer fact that every user is expected to do this for half-decent performance is abysmal. What if you have a younger player who has no idea how to work a computer? You can't ship a game that needs external configuration to make it work properly, it's just bad practice.

15. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

Off-topic: sorry about idiot thing, when i get pissed at someone (mainly when they don't believe me about something which is true) i tend to start calling people idiots

OT:
    talking about pc bloat, not minecraft bloat (as in program taking up tons of ram and stuff)

as for minecraft, yeah, guess what, i do the same, and currently own/run a fully function DNS Techpack minecraft modded server, i still get at least 90+ fps with 172 mods on the client side of things, once again, lowest possible settings,

EDIT: also, as for ram, my dns techpack client NEVER, go's over 1gb of ram, vannila minecraft never uses more then 500mb for me

#115 logoster, Nov 17, 2013
  16. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

My PC is extremely far from bloated, I do have common sense, you know.

Even with around 7 programs open I'm only using 2.12GB of memory, and my processor is almost idle. PLENTY of space for Minecraft to use, but it runs like crap.

17. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, not much you can do about that. In my experience a vanilla minecraft install (which I expect the people without any idea how to work a computer will have) won't use all of that 1024mb anyway, and the JVM has been known to slow down when allocated large amounts of RAM (garbage collector going mad I guess) so its a bit of a tradeoff anyway, definitely needed for things like technic/feed the beast/clickdownloadongoddamneverything though which would otherwise run out of RAM regardless.

I used to have a batch script which would launch minecraft with my own custom settings. The main one I used actually specified a different folder as being my APPDATA folder before launching minecraft which allowed for it to launch from any directory I wanted (including USB thumbdrives and remote network locations). I also had it set to 2048mb RAM when I had tekkit and on my old laptop I saw a slight improvement boost by setting it to 0.75mb RAM too.

- - - Updated - - -

I said I got over 30 on *high* settings not low settings. I never said it was impossible for you to get 30+ on low on an HD2500. Btw, the mobile HD4000's benchmark faster than the desktop HD2500's.

I look after my machines. I despise bloat.

18. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

wait, have you guys been talking about high settings this whole time? ive been talking about lowest settings, LOL, ik that an intel hd 2500 cant get 200+ fps on high settings, heck, ive even made a video of it(1080p television, all high settings but its still 30+ fps most of the time):

(and if you look in the memory usage, NEVER, go's above 300)

#118 logoster, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  19. simon48

simon48
    Expand Collapse

Are you using OptiFine? I was saying medium to high settings, I mean if you're getting 200+ FPS why would you be running at low settings? :p As soon as you go over 60 FPS all the time, you up the settings, no point in going over your monitor's refresh rate.

20. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

nope, no optifine, also, point would be bragging rights ;) but anyway, i genreally get 50+ fps on high settings on my actual monitor (1280x1024)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice