Why do Europeans hate American cars?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by adamj932, Jan 15, 2014.

1. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

Gas prices here in Texas are between 2.93-3.30$ per gallon at the moment. I take the bus, so prices don't really effect me.

http://www.austingasprices.com/

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

There is a dude in a village on my way to uni that owns a mercedes SLK kompressor. Electronically limited to 155mph and chances are it could hit that. On the rare occasion I come up behind him on my commute (has happened a few times, not many thank the lord), does he drive at the 60mph speed limit for that road? Nope. Does he drive well beyond that limit? Again, nope. 35. 35 god damn miles per hour in a 60 zone in a car that can easily double the speed limit without breaking a sweat.....

3. superkiwi

superkiwi
    Expand Collapse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

That should answer what your ''RON'' is...:D

4. Matthew_Hughes

Matthew_Hughes
    Expand Collapse

i have not read the entire thread cause im very tired,

but im from uk. i love most american cars. if it has a V8 then i will dribble lots.

my dad owns a 3.5L V8 Land Rover. none standard exhaust if we are lucky it will do a lovely 12 MPG, but if you get the revs just right then the sound is beautiful....

I Like em......

5. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

3.5 V8...not very familiar with land rover in general, that's a tiny 8 cyl tho! The only smaller one that I know of (besides maybe some vintage Ferraris or something) is the Yamaha V8 they stuffed into the 96-99 Taurus. 3.4L V8, it had a pretty high redline, and sounded like a V8 with twice its displacement with the right exhaust.

6. superkiwi

superkiwi
    Expand Collapse

parking_bay.jpg
    If you'd park like the picture says, you'd be probably right, but try to get a KIA Sorento sideways into a parkinglot and now the Smart, wich is probably less than the half of the KIA :D
    In a Smart you can get that done in an ease, even forward...My parents have the Sorento, and it needs a fucking huge amount of space to get it in there.

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I can't recall where but I heard of a 2.4 V8 once, might have been some sort of big motorcycle though throwing it in for the novelty, I honestly can't remember. Seems a bit pointless to me.

There are of course non production V8's much much smaller :p

- - - Updated - - -

Corsa will go nose first just fine too.

My mum drives a mitsibushi shogun, absolutely massive, happily parks that in a multistorey car park :p

8. superkiwi

superkiwi
    Expand Collapse

Mutistorey Carparks? We only have 1 or 2 in the town where I live :D so you could just walk to the store from home..It'd be shorter anyways :D

9. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

Yea, the 3.4 V8 is from the Taurus SHO, quite a sleeper if you ask me. I owned 2 of em

10. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

In the US the minimum acceptable size for a V8 is 5 liters.

11. bunnns

bunnns
    Expand Collapse

I barfed in my mouth seeing the new mustang. I am canadian.

12. RedHorizon

RedHorizon
    Expand Collapse

My pickup uses a 6.5l V8 (sounds just like a Humvee... because it's the same engine I suppose), and it's one of the smaller options for diesel pickups. Detroit made a 6.2 at one point, but it was a complete mess. Ford's 7.3l V8 will walk all over my rig (it's an automatic though :(), until you want to go faster than 60mph. Love me dem V8, mmm.

13. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

engine
    Really?
    3.4 Ford/Yamaha V8
    4.2, Audi V8
    4.4, 4.8 BMW V8
    4.6 Toyota V8
    4.6 Ford V8
    4.4 Volvo/Yamaha V8
    4.6 GM Northstar V8.........

and many others are less than 5 liters...where did you find that gem of knowledge?:confused:

#73 SHOme1289, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  14. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

I can't tell if serious or sarcastic...

My truck is a 4.7L V8

15. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

I saw a picture that actually revealed the dark side of electrics. Think, where is that electricity being generated? Power plants, which are burning fossil fuels to generate said electricity. So in reality, it is just as polluting.

I personally like most cars. Some more than others. Now, whoever was the one that said most American cars look good, but in the 1990s it got really really so super bad, I agree completely.
    As a kid and I think up until I realized its true purpose from this forum, I thought the Trueno was ugly as shit and I just hated whenever I saw it in a game, because it was slow and ugly (I hopefully was not the only 5 year old that loved a car because it was fast and looked crazy, and nothing else). I still may not like how it may look, but I think I actually am liking it. I never drifted in games, so I wouldn't have seen a true purpose anyways. :p

Now, with the 1990s, I really want to see what the companies saw in those cars. Was it purpose? Was it style? I am not sure, but I did like a few cars from the 90s.
    1985 Mustang GT. No. I hope I am not going to be hated for not liking this:
    86-Ford-Mustang-GT_DV-11-H-01.jpg
    It just doesn't look right.

16. daveywaveyHD

daveywaveyHD
    Expand Collapse

I think he was joking guys.

^^ up a couple of posts

17. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

It was me :D

...and yeah that stang<prius

18. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

I am going to say it on here because I still find this idea stupid that someone thought of at my school.

A Prius... with a Cummins. According to him that is considered an immediate kick-ass vehicle.

I told him that if he wanted to look cool, get a pickup truck, and put a Cummins in it. That is a lot more kick ass than a Prius could ever get to. Plus, just why a Prius. Wouldn't the Cummins DESTROY the Prius' insides? Pretend if it was possible, then would it destroy it?

19. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

Yea, that car was a total fail...didn't they offer a 4cyl in that body too? it looks like it got punched in both eyes, and the nose was stretched with a semi truck. bleghhhhhh

And I hope he was kidding, cuz that is the most absurd thing I heard since lunch.

- - - Updated - - -

im sure you can stuff one in there and it would be fine, as long as it doesn't totally alter the shape of the front end. Cars now, especially the prius (solid structure, good crash tests prove it etc etc) the torque of a cummins would shred a nineties-era civic hatch, but the prius could probably handle 4 or 500 lb/ft torque with just a few minor braces and supports.

I actually think that would be funny and clever (rolling coal in a hybrid lol), but not so awesome. However, it would definitely be the ultimate sleeper!!! if it could hook up that is (you'd have to replace the front 185 tires with like a 285 or something lol or just make it RWD which would totally screw up the interior)

20. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

With the firmware altered on the engine management unit and motor controller it does have one advantage over most non hybrid vehicles. Electric motors produce insane torque at low revs and than it tapers off as RPM increases, exact opposite of internal combustion.
    Electric vehicles as a result can have excellent acceleration off of the line. Prius has both electric motor (which unfortunately is programmed to not run at full power) and internal combustion. In theory if the motor ran at full whack it should get a slight head start over most cars off of the line, dunno about a cummins though :p Prius on the high end doesnt exactly have much power either :/

Oh, the electric motor thing is the reason you now see lamborghini, porsche and ferrari etc all experimenting with hybrids, off the line torque not for eco nutters :p

- - - Updated - - -

What on earth did you hear before lunch then???

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice