Why do Europeans hate American cars?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by adamj932, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

He wasn't. I could explain how this kid is, but I don't want to go on a 14-part series about it. Long story short, he can manage to be involved with technology at all times, yet he never talks to people online, and has minimal social skills. I was friends with him for a week or so, then every conversation would be about tech stuff, and end in an argument. (He said that I use an iPhone instead of the mega-tablet phone that doesn't fit in any normal pocket like he has because I have small hands. I got it from my mom, and I use it for YouTube and iFunny. Better than the flip phone that was a 2-pass-me-down to my sister) I am not trying to offend anyone else who is always using technology. I am similar to him, but I have the ability to have a normal conversation with people.

Also, I have no idea about the Mustang. I just know that my eyes don't agree with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone should try to overclock a Prius, lol. (Sorry if this ends up as a double post.)

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Buy me a prius and a portable soldering iron (or at least a higher wattage one with a longer lead than the one I have) and we'll have a deal. Oh, a texas instruments hercules or equivalent microcontroller while your at it.

3. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

Someone wanted to put $0 down, roll over 6 payments left on their current lease at $459/month, AND he wanted free custom leather interior on a Malibu 2014 lease with 15K miles/year for 39 months, and wanted to be below $400. A number like that isn't possible unless he was to put down $7000 at least and pay for the leather. He walked out, too expensive for him. We were at 850/month lol he was insistent that we meet his offer. That was absurd. Then I had lunch and came back to that comment lol

Im sure he was kidding, hopefully, like "stupid murcans, the smallest V8 they make is 5.0 minimum. Stupid murcans killing earth. much pollute."

4. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

Being from america and such a car person id freak out if I seen a vauxhall lol. I'd be like oh wow new car new brand never seen wow o.o..

Would like a 2014 with the 1.6t :p

5. Matthew_Hughes

Matthew_Hughes
    Expand Collapse

It may be only 3.5L and only like to rev to about 4000 rpm max (sounds a bit rough then) and she may only of come out the factory with 90hp but damn does she have some torque in her.

6. Utah Teapot

Utah Teapot
    Expand Collapse

I'm Bulgarian, and I like American cars.

7. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

When i went to America , i loved it. Everyone takes pride in their cars, even if its a beater!Almost every car we passed had custom rims and the pick-ups are awesome. Only thing i prefer about european cars is the handling, and thats only because i wasn't used to the bigger feel of the american cars.

8. Killerchicken

Killerchicken
    Expand Collapse

German too...

Seems like u never driven an passat/golf right after an ford lol

9. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

Volkswagen IS pretty premium if you consider these:

(imported from here)

(imported from here)

Just because they make more affordable cars doesn't mean they're not premium.

10. FZulley

FZulley
    Expand Collapse

I'm also German, and yeah, you're right. VW is definitly not "not premium".
    @Masterjoc , it's not only the amount of money what makes a car "premium" . VW is doing a nice work in quality while offering reasonable prices. Audi , BMW and Mercedes are of course in most cases more expensive. But that does not make them building the better cars. I am a big Audi fan, because i like their design in Exterieur and Interieur.
    I am often repairing cars in my free time, because I am having the necessary knowledge to do that. So I am going to relate to the thread now:

My Father had a Chrysler Sebring V6 2.7L , buildt 2001 . He bought it, because he is indeed a big fan of the American cars. But we also had to keep in mind, that German roads are not like those in the USA. So we took this one.
    It is a pity, but this car had a lot of problems. In 2007 the Check Engine Light came on. It said missfiring Cylinders. After 6 months, no one had found the failure. Suddenly the Light went off. After 3 more Months, it came on again, showing about 16 different Errors. I don't know all the English terms , so I won't point out what they were. But the Car started to stall itself when trying to get up a hill. We've done a lot. Changing the Oil of the Gearbox, a new Engine Controller, new Spark Plugs and Cables, but it just didn't want to work as expected.
    Sometimes it ran on 4 or 5 Cylinders, it just didn't start, it kept stalling when going up hills. Okay, so we really had bad luck with it. We sold it, after it finally gave up in Smoke and Oil ( Oil Filter had burst on the Autobahn ). But in the Years we've had it while it was driving normally, the biggest and, as lots of German Chrysler drivers said, most common problem is the suspension. We've had repairs every 6 months. The parts did wear out heavily. Some people at Chrysler said, they just can't stand the bad condition of german roads. ( True one, some streets where my dad lives are more a rocky road than a real street ).
    In all these times I tried to repair the good old sebring, I often noticed how poorly some things were built, compared to german cars. Thats a fact for me, that was obvious. There were cable sets, just being held together by a thin material. You will barely find that in German Cars.

But, there's one thing, in which the Sebring was better than the German cars.. The sound, it was amazing :D

Now, we are driving a VW Phaeton 2007. The engine and suspension is just perfect, no errors at all. But there's also one thing, VW just couldn't handle. The Software. Sorry, but some things in that Phaeton are really going crazy sometimes.

In Summary, I would say: There is no need to say American cars are bad ( Those old Mustangs are.. wow :D ). And there are many very cool american cars. But I think, European Roads and American Roads are just so different, they can't be driven with the same kind of cars. I would say, the quality of some German manufacturers is often not reached by the American manufacturers. But I agree, lot of people here just say "wahh.. American cars.. no thanks, just needing a lot of fuel, not caring about the environment etc." I think, for some times that was true, but i wouldn't say it is true nowadays..

P.S: As I said, I am german. This text was pretty hard for me and my english skills, so please don't kill me for some misstakes. I was really trying to make it as good as I can.

11. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

That's like the worst engine in like the worst American car. Must have been expensive to fix over there. They had issues with those engines with Oil Sludge build up.

12. mrniz666

mrniz666
    Expand Collapse

These sum it up...

And just for fun:

#92 mrniz666, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  13. FZulley

FZulley
    Expand Collapse

Ah, good to know. Obviously this was not known by most of our Chrysler Garages. And yes, it was a lot of money and time. It would have even been more money if I wouldn't have done everything I was able to do by myself.

14. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Actually over here that's the reputation you guys have, unbeatable engineering prowess.

15. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

I will NEVER buy a Chrysler as long as I live. They're like an insult to American cars. About a year ago, I my friends mom picked us up in her Town and country. This thing was probably only a year or two old. That thing was a piece of shit. It's like to you can feel how cheaply it's built when you just open the door. On the way home, I noticed all kinds of squeaks and and rattles, the most noticeable ones coming from the rear suspension. And the thing was still basically new. The way I think it, if you want to buy a cheap, small reliable car, buy Japanese. If you want a big passenger carrier, or a truck or something to haul stuff with, buy American. Just not chrysler (jeep, dodge,).

16. FZulley

FZulley
    Expand Collapse

I am working as an Electronic Engineer in the Automation Industry. There is actually an advertisement of the Lufthansa in the TV where a French person says things like " This perfection, i love it " . As I am a student and working for a big engeneering company at the same time, I do really notice how much we want to be "perfect". I do notice that, because my life as "a little boy in school" is over and now, People want me to do my work better and better. Thats challenging for me, of course. My Boss is sitting in my neck, seeing my grades and my work, wanting me to put as much effort in things as I can. What I want to point out is: I would have never believed, how much we do want to deliver the best Quality. I'm very happing, that I can make these new experiences in my age of 22 Years. And I do really hope, that, when my time in the University is over, my boss is going to hire me without a time limit, because I like that challenge. Getting better and better, not getting stuck somewhere.
    I think, these Values could be a reason why we are good engineers. Of course, I don't want to say, that people in other Countrys are not like that! It's just what I do experience at the moment for myself. I just wanted to share that.

17. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

A lot of Chryslers are pretty crap. My mom had a Chrysler TC minivan. (2005) It was a 180HP 3.3 V6 with a 4 speed auto. Rear leaf springs. These things usually give out at 100k miles and it was in the high 90ks when we rear ended a car due to terrible brakes.

18. Masterjoc

Masterjoc
    Expand Collapse

Audi, Mercedes and BMW are premium because of their quality (mostly inside when you touch the materials and so).
    VW is a league under them and fights with Ford, Opel, Nissan, etc. Sure they are doing a good job, but when it comes to all, it wont be premium at all.
    Thats known and atleast german magazines are telling this wrong. If you read international magazines you will notice VW isnt that good :D

Ofc we need to differ between Ford USA and Ford German/International as example. Ford Taurus offers a complete different quality, technology, engine compared to the international/german one - Ford Mondeo.

I would always prefer Ford USA models. They are way better in each point :)

19. Josef733

Josef733
    Expand Collapse

OMG! WTF have they done!?

20. oOKaiOo

oOKaiOo
    Expand Collapse

It doesn't depend on where a car comes from wether or not i like it.

Having driven a ford explorer over the last ten years (with a number of engine and susension issues) i love a nice SUV. Being of the tall persuasion i like not having to crawl into a smaller car. But to be honest, when gas went past 60 cents a liter the terrible mileage did hurt. But the 4l v6 throbbing along at seldom more than 2k rpm was sweet. as is the overall visibility. what it really needs, and also my biggest gripe about pretty much all US Mfrs is this: Diesel, Diesel and Diesel. Mercedes with their normally aspirated diesels really killed the market deader than dead. after that, diesels were a very hard sell.
    the new turbo direct injected gas engines are a step in the right direction, but nothing beats the raw torque of even a small turbo diesel.
    I mean, the smallest ford i can get with a diesel stateside is the F-250? (or E-250) what the heck?

Greetings all, have a good one

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice