Why do Europeans hate American cars?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by adamj932, Jan 15, 2014.

1. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I have never laughs so hard in all my life thats no SUV...THATS A TANK!

2. dudes45

dudes45
    Expand Collapse

I for one love American cars and I love in England. I plan to move to America one day and I will buy a Classic American muscle car and restore it! I love American cars, there are plenty I'd rather own than the ones here! The only cars I like in this country are Alfa Romeos and the new ones of them suck too. My car 2002 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 JTS, DOHC, N/A, 166BHP, 0-60 7.8 seconds:
    1551634_10151972826457198_1696985564_n.jpg

I'd much rather own this:
    2002-ford-crown-victoria-lx-sport-pic-24615.jpeg
    But really if I could pick anything:
    Dodge-Charger-1968-_wallpapers_346.jpg

So yeah I love American cars... I was going to attach pics of all the cars I'd want instead of any of the European offerings but here's a list:

Crown Vic. (Any year preferably the older ones)
    Dodge Challenger '70
    Dodge Charger '70
    Chevy 1500 (Any year preferably the older ones)
    Dodge Ram '80s
    Chevy Camaro IROC-Z '92

That's just some of them - I love America... Always have, always will! Anyway.....

3. bhorton

bhorton
    Expand Collapse

The thing is:
    An American car is too big for Europe.
    A European car is too small for America.
    The car is built for the location.

4. dudes45

dudes45
    Expand Collapse

I'm not 100% sure you're right, I thought American back roads were really tight when I was in NC last year, they might not be much smaller but they felt it! European cars are not to small, Audi's and BMW's are sold in America and they're German. The only American cars that might be to big are like Escalades and Hummers! Not that Hummer exists any more but oh well.

5. jotaonze

jotaonze
    Expand Collapse

:( riphummer.png

6. dudes45

dudes45
    Expand Collapse

7. KaLul0

KaLul0
    Expand Collapse

I dont hate them all. some just look ugly.

8. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

9. dudes45

dudes45
    Expand Collapse

It.. It crushed that poor Alfa Romeo on the right hand side :'(

That's a good episode of Top Gear but its not really a replacement. There's no bling! Not that I like the Hummer at all but Xzibit would not want to ride in that. I don't think he could "Offically pimp" it either..... Random? Maybe!

#149 dudes45, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  10. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

The Marauder is South African in Origin...but still it makes that puny Hummer H3 look like a joke...

#150 RobertGracie, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  11. dudes45

dudes45
    Expand Collapse

Indeed it does!

12. lilredmachine

lilredmachine
    Expand Collapse

A: American fuel tends to be awful quality, a lower efficiency burn equals a lesser MPG and less performance particularly in todays computer controlled vehicles.

B: Amazed at the number of people who don't know this, but an American gallon is 3.7L and a UK gallon is 4.5L. So when people are bashing an American car like the Mustang because it's a 5.0 V8 and only gets 22-24 to the gallon, over here it would actually get closer to 27-29, which is actually quite respectable for a motor of that size.

I'm from the UK but love American vehicles. My Dad owns a 69' Riviera, 69' Electra and an 81' Corvette which we fitted with a 383 stroker with forged internals. If you approach them in the understanding that they are from a different part of the world and from a totally different culture they are a joy to drive and own, far more head turning over here than something like a fancy Merc or BMW. To be frank, big, expensive German cars in the UK are pretty likely to get keyed.

I ride a Mk1 Suzuki Bandit with a Garrett T25/28 hybrid turbo bolted on, I get 15mpg out of a 1.2. It does do 200mph though. :p

Hi by the way, pretty unusual place to do it, but first post.

13. Sleepyox

Sleepyox
    Expand Collapse

Because they are poorly made with cheap boring plastic interior. Another reason is that they use 6 liter v8 engines that produce 150 horsepower while we get the same from old unrefined 2liter 4cylinders. Except that i am really in to 60-70-80s American cars, because i love v8 and the apperance. We in sweden import more American cars then any other country per year, and we also have the biggest American car meet in the world (Power big meet Västerås). Older impala/dart/nova/caprice/charger or whatever old American car is welcome at these meeting, the cars are usually packed with drunken people, 6 people in the car, 2 in the trunk and 2 on the hood, cruising around the street drunk as hell while playing Eddie medusa - Raggare (Raggare is a term we use for people who like to cruise around in older American cars, often with a southern state independence flag (It is known as.. rebel flag?) in sweden. Symbolises ACAB combined with moonshine.

But besides those old wonderfully designed cars American cars is not appriciatet here, simply because of poor build quality/plastic interior/starts rusting real easy/bad everything compared to the standard we are used too. I mean our old Volvo 740 wich is 20+ years starts in 1 second in -20c and is like a tank and always work, gets warm in 2 minutes and you can have the pedal to the floor in 1st gear going to work in a 30minute commute and the engine will be fine :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-e1rJuwJ1Y

#153 Sleepyox, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  14. Arm0sius

Arm0sius
    Expand Collapse

Well I like some of American cars like Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge. My family had few of Fords too and I loved them, but know we have a VW Passat because our Mondeo (which was the last Ford we had) got broken. I don't like thos 70's cars which looked like cars for Jamaicans mostly.

15. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

Well... Now we are getting 444hp out of 5.0L... But back in the 80's when that statement was true, I guarantee most of the V8s are still running due to lower compression and lower RPM's. Low hp/low revving/low compression engines should out last there 4 cylinder counter parts.

16. yyriFIN

yyriFIN
    Expand Collapse

About outlasting 4 cyl engines, older late 80s and early 90s japanese cars, 1.6 liter Toyota Corollas and Carinas are known to be almost idiotproof in here Finland. People have run them for +500 000 kilometers and they are still running fine and reliably. Does american V8 s last as long?

17. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

well, any car/engine can last that long if you treat your vehicle right, and keep it in-shape

18. Carlover0529

Carlover0529
    Expand Collapse

Yes, actually. My grandfather on my mother's side has a 1995 Cadillac DeVille and it has 338,000 miles (544,000 Km) on it. Original motor too!

19. CrazeGaming

CrazeGaming
    Expand Collapse

I think the main reason Europeans hate American cars is because they aren't used to them,I would imagine it would be the same with Americans. its just what we are used to and American cars and European cars are quite differently so we think about them differently

20. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

This is my 2 cents.

Every car has a purpose, what it is built for. I am American, and you might know that, and I think...
    1. The new Mustang looks pretty nice to me. It's not a '67 GT500, but it will do, especially with the 2.3 turbo and 6 speed.
    2. American cars are sometime superior to European cars. Sometimes.
    3. I personally think pickup trucks are kinda big. The biggest car I have is a Disco Series 2. The HD models I cannot see over. Because I am 4' 9".
    4. European cars are nice. Simply nice, but not a Citroen/Peugeot or Yugo.
    5. Japanese cars are good at fuel economy and reliability. (don't forget Initial/Formula D)
    6. My mom has a Saturn LS2, and it is based off a Vectra. It is nice, except it is a GM product. If you own a GM product in the States, especially the South, don't forget to change your DRLs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice