Why do some Americans think..

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Landie_Man, Aug 30, 2013.

1. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

I get all hot and bothered :mad: when people from yonder say "my car gets 12.3576765 l/kg/m/ft/g for their mileage (or whatever it is lol) MPG makes more sense...As in, I get 35 miles per every gallon of gas. the other way is I get x amount of liters per km? Is that right? Cuz that's a little silly and confusing for us westerners. or at least for me, and I smoke a looooot of pot lol

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, but wtFFF is 1c? its like you have to add then divide then add 273 or something to figure it out. 0c=32f is fine, but how about 1 or 10 lol

2. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

That is what I believe as well. I may not learn it for every single number, but maybe some checkpoint numbers that are important to what I do. If I remember that 60C is around 150F, and 90C is around 200F, then I know the temps at which I need to cool down my CPU and GPU, respectively.

3. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Its litres per 100km you were after I think. Mpg makes perfect sense for me, bigger number = better and you go further with less fuel, simples, kilometres per litre could also work but I think of road distances in miles.

4. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

The sensible part of the metric world uses km per liter(aka distance per amount of fluid, like mpg). But then some weird guys decided they'd start measuring milage in liter per 100 km(amount of fluid per 100 amounts of distance?!?!), which makes no sense, is just overcomplicated, and I refuse to ever use that. With km per liter you can easily figure out how many km you can do on 1 tank, which is important. With liter per 100 km, you gotta do more calculations... = less useful.

I always find that it's hard for anyone who uses metric and calcius to not sound biased when argueing that metric and celcius are better compared to imperial and fahrenheit/kelvin... Which is annoying, because I truely think Celcius/Metric is better. Inches, feets, yards and miles and such all use weird numbers to convert into eachother(like, 1 mile = 1760 yards, 1 yard = 3 feet, and 1 feet = 12 inch... What?! WHY?!). mm, cm, meters and km etc are all just 10-folds. Then Fahrenheit seems to be sort of.... random.. compared to Celcius which makes sense(freezing and boiling point of water). Kelvin makes sense too, although it's hard to grasp there being a "definite" minimum temperature.

Problem is, I can see that noone would ever convert over to the other system, not even gradually. It would be like suddenly having to speak Chinese for the rest of your life, when you've never understood a word of Chinese.

What bothers me most, is that the US gallon and a UK gallon are different, makes it even more confusing when you're trying to convert it :|

And at the original question: Because you use both, apparantly...

5. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, that too...that we in America use one type of gallon, and they use a different type of gallon...might as well say that 60mph over here is 63.256mph over there. Its all a little cray cray.

off topic, I really hate working here for 12 freakin hours, I am literally logged on to this forum as well as 10 others, time cant pass fast enough. thanks for keeping me occupied, beamng community!! lol

6. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

I have seen from a video on YouTube talking about temperature. There is indeed a definite "absolute zero" temperature, because something will get cooler or hotter depending on how much energy it contains. If there is absolutely nothing moving within the object, it will be absolute zero. NOTHING in the atomic level can move.

Now, on the other end, with heat, there is no exact definite absolute heat. There can be an infinite-ish amount of energy in an object, so there can always be something hotter (maybe not in a physically possible way).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fuHzC9aTik

That is the video. I believe Michael explains the heat part a lot better than I can.

7. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

I'm american so im used to F, miles, feet, inches, etc.. But I use C with computers when I monitor computers, idk how but ever since I started building computers I understand C better. If someone said its 14c outside f I know its like 60 degrees.. 18-22 is comfy temperatures.. But with pcs its all about that 30c idle and 50-55c full load :)..

I do love how my 07 civic I can change the gauge to km instead of mph by the press of a button. Freaked some people out before with that :D

8. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

From talking on tech forums I have learned to use Google to convert temps from F to C. (Basically just Google xxxf to c so it would be something like this: 160F (71C))

9. Swanky_Pants

Swanky_Pants
    Expand Collapse

I'm American and I like metric way more, i'd say i use half and half. I can't even imagine using imperial in my chem and physics classes with all those fractions. For the people who don't think about this unbiasedly think about it as if your choosing between something that your not familiar with, like choosing the Chinese or Russian language, if you don't know how to speak those yet.

10. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

I use both :)

11. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

I'm from Canada eh, sorry about my english. But up here in our igloos we use both systems. Feet and inches are easier for me to use then our centimeters and meters, get that eh? Sorry if you find this post offensive eh

12. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

I think I heard from somewhere that Eskimo is technically an offensive term to those people. I heard, I am not sure though lol.

13. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

I think it is, but I'm pretty sure they make fun of us for being fat and lazy, so I'm gonna call em eskimos.

14. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

B-bu-but we are... lol.

15. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

The quick and dirty way to convert mph to km/h is to multiply the mph value by 8, then divide by 5. Or vice versa for km/h to mph. This made my life 1000 metric times easier.

60mph * 8 = 480
    480 / 5 = 96 km/h

320km/h / 8 = 64
    64 * 5 = 200mph

Don't try this while driving, for the love of god.

16. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Yes we are. And they are eskimos. Not northern arctic dialect or whatever bullshit name someone came up for them.

17. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

Are you kidding I do dis every time I drive #X8/5fadayz
    Just kidding the only thing I drive is BeamNG Drive.

18. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

Well, most cars I've been in have mph and km/h. So no need to convert while driving :p

Like this 31423540004_large.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice