1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Will demolition derbies ever be a part of BeamNG drive?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88c900t, Oct 23, 2017.

1. 88c900t

88c900t
    Expand Collapse

I ask this because for a game that is fundamental to automotive soft-body physics, and physics in general, Having a game mode that centers around derbies would seem like a very positive development. Given that cars are assigned a Derby class, and there has been a map released for a long time that pretty much consists solely of derby arenas, this is certainly a subject that has crossed the mind of the developers and I'm sure many players.

Frankly, I'm curious if Derbies are ever going to be a part of Beam, given what feels like a shift towards story modes and campaigns. Gameplay feels like one of the most mysterious aspects of Beam, and something I think everyone is curious about. Even with dozens of scenarios/time trial courses, it just feels like there just isn't too much to do. Personally, I think this is what killed off Spintires, which simply had little else to offer besides exploration and logging, unless you downloaded mod maps. (I own and have 160 hrs into that game). I also don't think a good game needs mods to remain fun. BeamNG is very fun even without mods, but the lack of gameplay options means that I'm only playing 10-20 minutes at a time these days.

Creating demolition modes is certainly within the realm of possibility, given that modders have been able to create them. It might just be a matter of what direction the Devs want to take the game as far as gameplay and story. Given the generous amount of future development sneak peaks in terms of tech and realism, I wish there were more tidbits related to the gameplay modes/story. If derbies/races aren't a part of Beam, I have to question myself whether Beam will have enough broader appeal to succeed-But I don't presume to know more than the Devs, they know what they're doing.

On a semi-related tangent (forgive me if this sounds more like a semi-coherent rant than a thread) I have similar thoughts toward something a vast majority of automotive games have-races. Particularly, open world checkpoint races ala Midtown madness 1 and 2. Now, this is just a fantasy of mine and I have exactly zero expectation that I'm ever going to see this in Beam, but it would be awesome to have races like that, where you have to choose vehicles on a certain price ceiling. East coast, WCA and Utah are ideal maps for a game mode like that. I can dream..

But I do really hope that Demolition Derbies become a feature in Beam, as the games physics and realism seem like a perfect match for that, and Beam could always use another game mode. Making a derby version of a vehicle would be simple enough, relocate a smaller fuel tank to the interior (or just remove it's ability to rupture altogether) and remove all the glass and hubcaps. Given that vehicles are assigned a derby class, the Devs have certainly had this thought before. And I'm curious to what direction Beam is going towards story/gameplay, but that will probably have to wait until it is further ahead in development. Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dezervon

Dezervon
    Expand Collapse

I believe it will be, as that type of gameplay is one of the best ways to take advantage of and display what the game is capable of. A very good preview of that capability is the Fair Grounds Demolition Derby mod by bidwars.

CanĀ“t wait for the times when the game is in such a "ready" state, that devs can concentrate on content creation alone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. DD-Indeed

DD-Indeed
    Expand Collapse

I've been working with Bidwars on that mod and on my behalf, devs could concider to give at least more attention to that mod, since it brings in a lot of new people (customers) and offers a good basic/additional gameplay feature for the main game. And like post above already mentioned, it's one of the best ways to show off what the game is really capable, since you can run multiple cars on it that have WIP, but working AI for other cars. Bidwars has done amazing job with the mod and it's getting better and better all the time with regular updates to add more content and hotfixes.

I know, that this sort of stuff is perhaps not what the devs had in mind when they started to make this game and sure, BeamNG's main goal is to become very advanced vehicle physics simulator with sandbox abilities and alongside some gameplay features + ''story mode'' apparrently. But they hopefully at least have been thinking to give some more attention to that mod in terms of help and tips, cause we need it sometimes.

4. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Originally demo derbies were emphasized in the game's long term plans, hence the sedanpocalypse and most pre-public alpha videos focusing on the damage model. Official statements describe the career mode as like SLRR but with many racing disciplines. It's hard to imagine that there won't be challenges focusing on destroying cars, judging by the first mission of A Rocky Start and the entire Senseless Destruction campaign. I am sure there will at least be small scale last man standing sorta stuff, and maybe full demo derbies if the game gets optimized enough by release for more player's computers to handle that.

5. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

Demolition Derbies are currently available as a "Multiseat" mode. They require multiple players with their own controllers on the same computer. They can be found in the scenarios.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

I sure hope the dev's include single-player derbies, not just modders, not just multi-seat etc.
    Demo derbies are awesome & Destruction Derby 1 and 2 for DOS were awesome for their time om PC with even a pentium 133 orcyrix 6x86 150mhz cpu..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice