worst computers from 2004-2017

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by lyndon123, Mar 30, 2017.

1. nolotank

nolotank
    Expand Collapse

Dell's Optiplex 360. This was my first real computer, and even when it was new I loathed it. It was made in late 2008, and ran Windows Vista. It had a 2.5GHz Pentium, and 4GB of DDR2. I would have been perfectly satisfied, uneducated as I was, except for the fact that my iMac G3, produced in 1998, felt snappier than it. I haven't bought a Dell since.

2. rocksim

rocksim
    Expand Collapse

New Lenovo flex 2in1. I have one and I've had to bring it to two places, and I finally made a warranty claim because it's soooo slow. It's got a 7th gen i5, it should be fast. I f******g hate that computer.

3. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

When I was in high school and we got pentiums, and eventually pentium II 233s to replace the aging 386 sx20 w/ WFW 3.11 and 486 SX33 machines with Windows 3.1 (or 3.11), it was awesome. I mean, this is back in the 90s, but hey, I couldn't complain too much. Back then if the PC was 2~3 years old it was usually still in use, but in places like CAD or COMPTECH classes, they were replaced in 2 years or so.

on to rubbish machines, I built my mother an Athlon II 2.8 ghz dual core machine with 2gb of ram, 300gb WD hdd 7200rpm, dvd-writer, Asrock 760G chipset/ddr2 machine with Nvidia 8100 video on it (yes, directx 10 but THE lowest thing with dx10), about 9 years ago.
    2 years ago we put Windows 8.x on it, added 2gb of ram for 4gb (it maxes @ 8gb), and a hyperX 120gb SSD in it.
    It's been upgraded to Windows 10. It boots from bios to login in about 4 seconds. Bios is about 2~3 seconds at most. Good little pc.
    Tried to talk her into upgrading, but she's not having any of it. The new PC's in the stores for 600~800 bucks don't boot that fast, she says.
    My sister is running Windows 10 on a core2duo e6700 with 4gb of ram, same hyperX 120gb SSD, and a radeon 3450 256mb video card, and it works great. Stuck a new 20$ motherboard in it last fall (dell surplus, i got a few of those, brand new) and a 25$ EVGA PSU in it, and it works great. This one boots almost as quickly as the 1st one. Sure, most people would consider it rubbish, and surely neither would run Beamng, but they run netflix, they run interwebs, they do email, they play Shisen-Sho (all 1mb of it...), they do Tracebook (OOPS, I mean Facebook) games, etc.
    My sister is on her 3rd motherboard, 1st ECS icafe got a bath accidentally (boots but has random memory errors), 2nd intel board got toasted in a storm (does NOT boot, CPU does NOT work, RAM was fine), 3rd now, we'll see how long it lasts. She's got a kid and a car payment, and a mortgage and works her bum off, and their cars are always breaking, so I didn't charge her a cent.

What more is to want, if that's all you do. Besides, I got several PC's worth of parts, and a seperate e6700 PC sitting behind me ready to go, complete, when one of theirs goes to the big computer store in the sky or otherwise takes a dirt nap.

I still have some open-box-but-new BIOSTAR pentium 4 LGA775 boards (supposedly they'll support a pentium D in theory, low-watt), with AGP ports and DDR memory slots, don't know how good they'd be but they DO work. Wonder what I'll do with it. Read: CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP *mocked bird noises* CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP.

4. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

the worts computer is the 2003 dell

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Godzilla!

Godzilla!
    Expand Collapse

My school used to have these with Windows 7, most of them failed with dead mobo batteries, viruses and general hardware failure (it's usually the PSU and hard drives that go out). They also had 2009 iMacs (with Lion or Mountain Lion) which ran significantly better until the graphics card fails (which was a common issue on us).

Luckily they recently upgraded the Optiplexes to HP desktops running broadwell Intel i5s and Windows 10 EDU and the iMacs to the new Retina 5k models.

6. lyndon123

lyndon123
    Expand Collapse

people saay that dell are the worst computers ever (especially the optiplexes) but actually i disagree with that. i have had 3 optiplexes during my time and ony one died. i had the cpu out of it and my mother decided to turn it on without the cpu and it somehow fried its self. it was then repaired and it soon died again later that year. and the other two (a 1.86ghz core 2 duo and a 2.30ghz amd athlon 64bit) and they run relatively well considering their age. one of them i flicked the voltage control switch which blew up the psu, but the rest was fine. goat a new psu and it is still running better than ever!
    they may be proprietary rubbish but they will probobly last longer than most modern computers and run the same software whithout problems for a long long time. the core 2 duo dell has more power than my 1yr old acer laptop

7. Lets go Canada !!!

Lets go Canada !!!
    Expand Collapse

Lol I have dell optiplex 3020 best upgradebele computer ever....Sure it might not have the best mother board or ram capacity but.. It does a real good job with 16gb of ram and 760 or 1050 ti I have the i3 model and runs any game with out a problem

8. Peter Beamo

Peter Beamo
    Expand Collapse

My computer

9. KJP12

KJP12
    Expand Collapse

I have a Dell Dimensions 4700 from around 2006 and it still works fine, other than 1 full on power supply failure, and another semi-new one failing after a couple of years of no use. It had a HHD fail in it before (i don't know on that), and replaced. Then the new one got taken out for i don't know how long then put into a newer Dell, right now acting as a secondary. Then a new 1 TB HHD came in and I installed Linux on it. Runs it quite fine. Just online videos lag a little and does not work in anything HD.
    --- Post updated ---
    I can see why. An Initial Core I2 4440 probably doesn't even have the cores required. Then a NVIDIA IVAN LOCHOV RU123, never heard of that GPU before.

10. Lets go Canada !!!

Lets go Canada !!!
    Expand Collapse

Lol only problem with mine is I had to replace the DVD drive since it was dying lol

11. KJP12

KJP12
    Expand Collapse

Some computers have different issues from others. That Dell has been through a lot, and still works. Still has its original DVD drive and it does have a working floppy (that the computer did not come with).

12. Lets go Canada !!!

Lets go Canada !!!
    Expand Collapse

Mine I got for free from therapist it very little dust on it to
    --- Post updated ---
    Also don't you love the sound of optiplex revving up when turned lol it scared me the first time

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. KJP12

KJP12
    Expand Collapse

My Dell does that too. With mine, got it back from 2006.

14. Lets go Canada !!!

Lets go Canada !!!
    Expand Collapse

Kinda cool

• Like Like x 1
  15. The _covet

The _covet
    Expand Collapse

Netbooks

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Scottybo2

Scottybo2
    Expand Collapse

I actually used to have a Dell Optiplex 755 which is buried away and it still runs with a 2.49Ghz Core 2 Duo and 1GB Nvida Geforce GT610 And either has Ubuntu 14.04 (Last time i think i used it) And dual booted with Windows 7. It worked well but i don't think it works also i have a Dell Optiplex GX260 From about 2002-2003 With a P4 2.4Ghz 256MB Ram and XP Pro which can be pretty snappy but slows down very quickly even browsing through Windows and it can play 360p video on youtube. (Took 20 Minutes to load the video and another 10 after the ad)

17. BannedByAndroid

BannedByAndroid
    Expand Collapse

I had 2 Acer Chinese clones from my dad.
    It originally came with XP but I installed Windows Vista later (I'm a noob on PCs that time, but Vista is a pretty good IMO) only found out it lags like hell.
    Dunno about the specs tho.

18. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

I ran Beam on nearly those specs :p (albeit a C2Q) oh I don't really like GX series of optiplexes as they are hot P4 boxes

19. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

They generally overheat VRM-wise from the hot Celeron or pentium 4 CPUs (northwood, then prescott), and cook the caps on the board until they bubble. Then they get even slower, or don't boot at all. They didn't really cool the motherboard to begin with and the motherboards are the cheapest of cheap with rubbish components - especially the 'slim' models that laid flat. Those cheap can-caps pop easily.

20. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Yeah those grey ones are worst offenders, with there centrifugal fans it's like a laptop cooling system inside one of them, rubbish imo. The other models (black ones) with a big fan at the middle are better, using the BTX cooling system, but they still can cook the Northbridge as the heat sink for that is right behind the massive processor one

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice