worst computers from 2004-2017

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by lyndon123, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Instant Winrar

Instant Winrar
    Expand Collapse

Dell Optiplex Gx 260, especially the SFF models.
    Hated working on those things, cut my fingers more times on the case than any of the stupid Dell Dimension cases of the early-mid 2000's.

Most common problems? The motherboards randomly fried themselves on startup for the first time in months, and the CPU fan sometimes goes LOUD and everyone freaks out.
    (about 40 seconds into this video)
    That's essentially a vacuum cleaner's fan, larger than the blowers found in laptops/graphics cards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Yeah it's just an oversized laptop cooling solution, can get really loud

3. JetPoweredMacintoshâ„¢

JetPoweredMacintoshâ„¢
    Expand Collapse

Asus Netbook 2008. Worst computer ever made, for the fact of being as slow as fifteen snails in a convoy on ice. It takes 10 MINUTES FOR CHROME TO OPEN. NOT KIDDING. I wanted it so bad, until it was given to me. Honestly I only keep it around for nostalgia.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Netbooks are :p that's an Intel atom from '08 for ya! (and a shitty HD)

5. lyndon123

lyndon123
    Expand Collapse

see, i have two optiplex ssf's a hp pro 3010 (which i sold) an a powermac g4. and of course my main rig. one of the optiplexes, has a 1.86ghz core2duo and the other has a athlon 64 both are running windows 7 and one needs activating.(i have got 10 keys off old laptops.

6. Instant Winrar

Instant Winrar
    Expand Collapse

Also, I have two SFF Optiplex 745's stacked on top of each other as a foot rest at my desk. Works better than the old deformed cardboard box.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Lets go Canada !!!

Lets go Canada !!!
    Expand Collapse

I've worked on optiplex 755 and 745 at my school and I did some experiments on them one of them was no thermal past and see how that lasted. Boot in to Windows 7 with 256mb of ram my god it ran slow and etc wish I knew about the tape trick to over clock it but the all the computers died after three months of heavy usage found a dead bee in of the computers lol

8. MilanKD

MilanKD
    Expand Collapse

My laptop

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Instant Winrar

Instant Winrar
    Expand Collapse

What's the trick? I still got two working ones laying around and it might be worth for me to try it.

10. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

BSEL mod, it increases the FSB to 1333MHZ so your CPU goes up from 1066 to 1333 so your multiplierXFSB is your new clock speed, for example a Core 2 Quad Q6600 goes from 2.4 to 3ghz

11. Instant Winrar

Instant Winrar
    Expand Collapse

Ahh, that sounds pretty simple.
    I remember seeking out a newer model Optiplex in a parts shop because I needed 1333Mhz FSB speed for one of my CPU upgrades and my old ones didn't support what I had laying around. Going to try it out when I buy some new thermal paste as I'm all out and need to install a CPU into one of the systems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Optiplex 755 760 are supported, i think there is even a 780 with Core 2 support and DDR3! But I don't know why though as it is an ancient CPU socket, just imagine, a Pentuim 4 with DDR3 :p.

The requirements are...
    1333MHZ FSB support
    A CPU that is 1066MHZ FSB for default

***clock speed calculations***
    Remember for LGA 775 the FSB is quad pumped, so you divide by 4!

Eg. Q6600 is 266MHZ FSB x 9.0 (multiplier) = 2400MHz clockspeed.
    So then it would become 333MHz FSB x 9.0 (multiplier) = 3000MHz using the BSEL mod.

The BSEL mod makes the Bios think that the 1066MHz CPU requires 1333MHz so it clocks the FSB at that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Lets go Canada !!!

Lets go Canada !!!
    Expand Collapse

yeah sorry for the late reply i watched random gaming hd he did it quite neet i also love the new oem dell opltiplexs i have 3020 from 2014 the hottest the cpu can get 53 degrees and i have some dell heatsink

14. holographicdreams

holographicdreams
    Expand Collapse

Anything Windows RT

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. BannedByAndroid

BannedByAndroid
    Expand Collapse

Windows RT = Windows ReTarded.
    You really can't use any apps except MS office and a couple of crap apps in Windows Marketplace.

16. Instant Winrar

Instant Winrar
    Expand Collapse

I have a few LGA 775 Pentium 4s and a Celeron D @3.06GHz laying around. No idea why I bothered taking them... Maybe to laugh at the thought of their existence?

No clue why Intel decided to take PGA 478 chips and drop them on LGA 775... But I see they're doing it again with low end LGA 1151 i3's and LGA 2066 lately, apparently they think people will drop a $130 CPU into a $300 motherboard.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

acer aspire it has 512mb of ram and a single core AMD semperon CPU. I've thought about upgrading the ram and CPU since apparently they where made in quad cores as well

18. JonnyTaunton

JonnyTaunton
    Expand Collapse

For all of you talking about your systems with socket 775 on them and saying how laughably awful they can be, I'm not sure your aware of the socket 771 mod you can do to your old 775 systems.

As long as your bios has support for Intel Xeons (Most tend to...), a steady hand and around $50. You can modify your motherboard to take some of the top end Socket 771 Intel Xeon chips from back in the day.

Whilst some of the systems are crap in general, you can find some of the old Pentium 4 and Celerons that used Socket 775 for peanuts and then whack in a Xeon into them and you still have a mini powerhouse since whilst those Xeon chips are not good enough for server usage anymore, they still fly in modern consumer tasks.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. eeEtilt

eeEtilt
    Expand Collapse

We have those in our school. They take thirty seconds to log in. Luckily, we have i5 machines in some of our computer rooms.

20. IvelinV8

IvelinV8
    Expand Collapse

HP DC5100

It doesn't even support core 2-based CPUs.
    Stuck with P4s.
    And I think it was PCI only too.

Unless you are collecting, just throw it in the bin.

And also ThinkPad Edge 0301-variety- batteries are sh*t, CPU is sh*t, Display is sh*t and HD Graphics can't even run Underground 2.
    And it is also overheating.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice