1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Would it be possible to put Cayo Perico in BeamNG?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrAnnoyingDude, Dec 30, 2020.

1. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

While the GTA V map is so huge and detailed that running it in Beam is not likely (at least as far as I know), the new heist map, Cayo Perico, is far smaller.

So I wonder - would it be possible to someday have CP in Beam?

2. SupremeDalek73

SupremeDalek73
    Expand Collapse

no

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jakux

Jakux
    Expand Collapse

I think it could be possible to add CP. As an addition to WCUSA maybe.
    Or as an alternative version for Small Island, USA

4. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

I was thinking in terms of a standalone map, but to be fair, Cayo Perico is so small that you could put it next to an official map and it still will work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

Would it be possible? But of course
    Will someone do it? Not so sure about that one :p

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

@bob.blunderton: Hold my Los Injurus

7. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

@Shotgun Chuck The issue isn't that the game can't run GTAV quality map data such as models and textures, it can do that fine.
    The issue is the game engine, which can't unload excess textures and models when they're not needed anymore. Modern game engines load and unload assets on the fly (sometimes causing small stutters if they're needed suddenly and not preloaded ahead of time). This is how modern 100gb games (give or take a few GB) could fit into your computer with (theoretically) 16gb of system RAM and 8gb of VRAM on your video card. It's not all loaded at once. It loads what it needs, skips over what is not needed, and keeps requirements (and scene loading times!) civil and within the reach of consumers depending on how much of a whiz the coders are/were.

While this isn't directed at you Chuck, it's here for the thread as the general direction it was going mentioned GTAV.
    Los Injurus is our answer to needing or wanting a GTAV type map in BeamNG. This map is designed to house a city since day one, I just didn't know how to model until May 2018. Two and a half years later, a lot has been done, but there's still so much to do. It could take another two and a half years to build the rest of it, but I surely don't mind as I enjoy the heck out of doing it. For those of you who haven't tried Los Injurus lately, I suggest you do so, as there was an update near the first week of December for the first time in about 8 months that contains a LOT of stuff. I rest assured knowing you'll find plenty to do and a whole lot of exploring is on the table too. There's certainly no shortage of roads in that map of all shapes and sizes.
    The secret to Los Injurus is it's Modular Road Kit which is basically just puzzle-pieces of infrastructure of all types and sizes, so you can build whatever you want. Make your own city, race track, road roller-coaster, or a combination there-of I don't mind. That is what it's there for and it's contained in the MRK folder of the map. If you do so however, just pick and choose what sets of MRK stuff you need as taking all of it would surely make for a large map unneccassarily. They're all named in obvious groups so picking and choosing by file names alone is super easy. The models open up in plain text editors so you can see right at the top what textures it calls for, and use mine or even provide your own.
    So make what you want, you can even make your own rendition of a section of GTA V. The idea behind the modularity of the map was not only to empower beamng mapper/modders to make city maps easily, it's also there to keep model sizes down so that everything fits on the GPU in one shot. It will be that way at-least until someone codes in asset unloading into this game engine one day, or I manage to bribe the developers to do so.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice