1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Xbox One controls issues (solved)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by adamgj38, Jun 27, 2020.

1. adamgj38

adamgj38
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,
    I have started playing BeamNG with an Xbox One controller and am just setting up the controls as I would like them. This includes steering with the analogue stick. However, when I set this using the input, the vehicle steering will not centre again, and instead any car will pull slightly to the left all the time. Is there another way of setting the control to eliminate this problem? Also there is a massive deadzone in the centre and I am struggling to find ways of fixing that as well. Advice on either of these problems would be appreciated.

2. JoshOz

JoshOz
    Expand Collapse

Hi adamgj38,
    I also play BeamNg with an Xbox One controller so thought I'd try to help. I couldn't quite work out what you have tried from your post but I will offer these suggestions.

1. Firstly I would calibrate the controller in Windows. I'm using Windows 10 and you do this via 'Set up USB game controllers' then 'Properties' and choose 'Calibrate' under the 'Settings' tab. It gives you a good idea how you controller is functioning and I think it's a good place to start.

2. If your controller is well used and has developed a lot of 'play' in the analogue stick then you will need to use the 'dead zone' setting in the controller setup within BeamNg. My controller is very new and has almost no unwanted movement in the left analogue stick and yet I still need to have 0.05 entered in the dead zone inside setting. I've included a screenshot of my settings just in case you are unfamiliar with the dead zone settings.

I really hope one of these suggestions can help you out a little. If not please provide a little more detail in regards to what you have tried etc.
    All the best,
    JoshOz.

Attached Files:

• BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200629-15103788.png
    #2 JoshOz, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  3. adamgj38

adamgj38
    Expand Collapse

The controller is brand-new, and works fine with all other games. The problem is that when I centre the steering (let go of the controller) the angle of the wheel is off to the left by about 15 degrees, but this is solved if I use the keyboard again. The deadzone was already set at zero as well- thanks for your suggestions but none of them worked.

I would upload a video but unfortunately my capture isn't working and my phone records in the one format not supported by this forum.

4. JoshOz

JoshOz
    Expand Collapse

Hi adamgj38,
    It's disappointing my suggestions didn't work. Once I read your response that your controller is new and works find in other games I knew my suggestions were not going to help. One thing though, did you try deleting the steering assignment setting in the controller setup within BeamNg and then remapping it? It's worth trying. I certainly wouldn't want to play with keyboard controls so hopefully you can resolve it. I'd like to help you get it fixed if I can so if I think of anything I will let you know.
    JoshOz.

5. adamgj38

adamgj38
    Expand Collapse

That's when the problem started, when I changed the assignment from the directional buttons to analogue stick. It's a really strange problem that would only normally be caused by wear on the controller, but as I said it's new and doesn't usually do that. Thanks for your help, I'll see if there's anything else I can try as well as what we've discussed.

6. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

It's very difficult to find a controller that works with zero deadzone (new or not). I don't think I've ever seen one. The vast majority of games I know of implement a deadzone, whether that's exposed to the user in an options menu or not.

Check the options > controls > steering binding to see where your stick tends to land if you lift your finger from it. Repeat that several times from different directions. That will give you an idea of the amount of deadzone you need to use.

7. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

In addition, keep in mind that some modified vehicles DO tend to veer left or right, such as some lifted suspensions. In real life this is normally manually compensate for through suspension setup. In our game, the options > parts menu > tuning menu offer the simulated equivalent to that steering compensation. This steering compensation is only needed for certain kinds of suspension used by a few vehicles.

• Like Like x 1
  8. adamgj38

adamgj38
    Expand Collapse

I tested this with various cars, all stock- it's not often I touch modified cars in Beam. The deadzone is OK, the problem is that the centre setting (when I let go of the controller) is not straight.

9. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

If you have calibrated your gamepad in Windows, and then you've started BeamNG.drive and set up the deadzones correctly, there should be no leftover steering in center position.

Please record a video with a) the steering UI app visible on screen, and at the same time also b) the options > controls > hardware menu open. Reproduce the issue in that video, so I can check both the UI app and the Hardware menu while it occurs. Thank you! :)

10. Bouns

Bouns
    Expand Collapse

Hi everyone. Sorry for my english (I'm French).

I have one only kind of problems with this (amazing & realistic) game so far. These are the XBOX 360 (or XBOX ONE) controller settings.

My problems are not exacty the same as Adamgj38 but should be in the same category.

1/ Can't configure vibrations (on accelerations et wheels drifting - losing adherence)
    2/ The minimum steer level is 35% when going left or right with the left stick (the only way to steer under 35% is to go up left or down left which is very unconfortable and difficult).

Since this game is very realistic, being able to steer at 35% minimum is a real problem for handling your vehicle right, most of all the fastest vehicles !

Could you help me on correcting this problems or finding the right parameters please ?

Ty.

Bouns.
    --- Post updated ---
    Ok I think I found what I was looking for about Steering. I put Linearity at 3.8 and it's near perfect. No soap effect anymore !

Still need to understand how to set up vibrations please. Ty guys.

11. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Hi, welcome to the forums!

Gamepad vibration is not supported, and there are no plans to support it.

You could try to get some FFB info through the vibration motors, by enabling FFB in your gamepad. But that's purely physically based on the torques simulated at the steering rack. We don't use 'wheel grip' or anything like that in our simulation, and there are no plans to support that.

12. adamgj38

adamgj38
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for the delay, issues with my wifi and Windows Game Bar stopped me doing this earlier. I recorded this in the Cherrier because it's easier to see with the shape of the wheel. The steering went straight again when I opened Windows Game Bar to stop recording- keyboard inputs seem to solve the problem temporarily.

Attached Files:

13. Nivracer

Nivracer
    Expand Collapse

What are your dead zones in your other games? If you could provide screenshots that would be even better. With my brand controller I had to put a deadzone of 12% on all my games to prevent what you are experiencing.

See my screenshots below with GT Legends and BeamNG.
    With BeamNG you can see that my controller gives an input of about 12%. With GT Legends It's pretty easy to see what a 0 deadzone does to my resting controller input.
    Screenshot4.png GTLegends7_7_202011_20_47PM.png GTLegends7_7_202011_20_56PM.png

14. adamgj38

adamgj38
    Expand Collapse

I only have two driving games on PC right now- the other is Euro Truck Simulator 2. The deadzone in Beam is zero, but in ETS I have it set to very slight (there are no percentages given)- ETS does not seem to have this problem. I'm not sure the deadzone is actually the problem though- what's happening is that the steering does not centre properly, and I cannot find any settings which will change this.

Attached Files:

• bmng.png
    • ets.png
  15. Nivracer

Nivracer
    Expand Collapse

Does the ghost input happen every time you center the steering or intermittently? If it happens intermittently and if the controller I still under warranty I would exchange it for a new one. A while ago one of my controllers broke and I had an intermittent ghost input and only noticed it when flying planes on The Crew 2. Who makes the Xbox controller you are you using? I know you don't think deadzone is the issue but what happens when you put the deadzone to say 10% or so on Beam? Does the ghost input go away or get better? The final thing you can do to rule out the controller is to download a controller tester. (I use the one from Reconco, you can get it on Windows 10) Make sure you remove the deadzone setting and move the left stick around and see if there is anything that isn't mimicking your movements.

16. adamgj38

adamgj38
    Expand Collapse

It's a genuine Microsoft controller, identical to what came with the console. I returned the deadzone to 0.1 and it seems to be fine now. Strange, because I changed it while troubleshooting earlier and that made no difference. Thanks for your help.

17. Nivracer

Nivracer
    Expand Collapse

You're welcome! Glad its all good now

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice