Your Blender frustrations

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by fufsgfen, Feb 3, 2017.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Now Blender is quite amazing in many ways, but it can be frustrating, especially when you are new or have forgotten a lot.

For example here, I wanted to have cube that is 0.5m on each axis, then add array modifier and get another cube exactly 0.5m apart from first cube, now my mathematics claim I should move 2nd cube 1.5m to achieve that, but blender mathematics require 4 meters to achieve that by a logic I simply cannot figure out.

Modifier does add dimension to original object of course as that 2nd cube is part of the first object, so it is then 1.5m object, but still I fail to get how offset of 4 meters comes out as 2nd cube being 0.5 meters form 1st cube.
    crazy_blender.png

Sometimes it is bit frustrating, you got frustrations to share? There are always chance to learn something new by sharing :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

You need to apply the 'Scale' (Alt + A)
    Modifiers always think your scale is 1,1,1 (In your screenshot it isn't).

• Like Like x 1
  3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I'm getting "animation playing" when I hit that key combination, but Ctrl+A allowed me to apply scaling, I had found apply scale on some panel and clicking that did nothing, but this way applying did what I wanted.

I did remember that much that scale needed to be applied, but not how, thanks this helped a little forward again :D

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Yup, it's CTRL+A indeed.

There as so many hotkeys, and I know a good amount of them. But if I were to think what key I actually pressed.. oh well :p

5. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

There are blender cheat sheets to be found from the internet, I have many, but I can't remember that when I need, it is truly amazing to live with failing memory, I rather would have little less amazing at times though :p

So I have my 1km by 1km array of 0.5m cubes, now I just need to make them one object which was easy, then I need to have them as separate objects, which I need to find out how to make happen, after that I could try to get both to BeamNG and see which one brings computer to knees more.

Even more I'm curious about if lots of MeshRoad vs static objects have performance difference, it will take time until this experiment will be ready, I think.

6. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Not sure why you need that?
    As far they are still 'separated' you can use P > Separate by loose parts

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Just for testing single object vs multiple object performance, but not sure when I have learned enough of all these things to make that happen :D

Thanks again, great tips!

8. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I made something, duplicated it, then selected mirror modifier and applied that, after that I chose to apply scale, all faces got inverted.

9. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

This is the only bug that i found in blender. and it is a bug. nothing else. it also crashes when stuff starts messing up like this. it also seems to happen around every 500 ish hours.
    Screenshot922.png
    In solid view. this part does NOT have a texture assigned to it. i also tried removing the material and it does not change anything
    I also cant export that single part because it says "no object selected - Created empty export file"
    it happened to me twice in 1100 hours of using blender. and each time it made it crash. i have no idea why its doing that. and it is really annoying when it happens.

10. asf2424

asf2424
    Expand Collapse

its just hard to make models of anything

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to 3d modelling.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. SuperNoob05

SuperNoob05
    Expand Collapse

The most frustrating thing that happened to me once was that I was rendering an image for over 2 hours and then ran out of VRAM...

I got my new GPU weeks after and eventually rerendered it. This is the outcome:

experimental_art_1440p.png

13. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Sometimes when I hit Control-A and select location, this thing appears:
    upload_2017-4-22_2-22-53.png

Sometimes it does not appear, sometimes location gets applied, sometimes it does not, when clicking those check marks with mouse, but when selecting location from Control-A menu, location usually gets applied, confusing.

14. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Something that I don't like since 2.68 (I think):
    If you have two objects, with different named UV-Maps (ie. one is called 'UvMap1' and the other 'UvMap2'), and you merge them, you loose one of the UVMap completely.
    Prior to that version it used to merge the two UVMaps in a single one, now not. Makes it a mess to rename them identical each time when you want to do that :(

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Ok, here is another freakish thing.

There is a Vertex and it's X coordinate is -2.78921
    upload_2018-1-18_2-3-25.png

I change X coordinate to -2.88921 and look how Vertex moves UP!!!!
    upload_2018-1-18_2-5-28.png

However, when I hit tab and get out from edit mode, X axis translate starts to work as it should. Also if I manually drag using gizmo instead of inputting coordinates, Z-axis does move vertex up.

You can see from 3d Gizmo that Z is up like it should, but from reasons unclear to me all of sudden X started moving vertex up when in edit mode.

So X and Z are all of suddenly swapped, but only in edit mode and only when inputting coordinates in numbers.

What the freakish ..... ?

16. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

He says "We'll use Blender's Bake function to automatically generate a simple texture. In the render menu, scroll down to Bake at the very bottom, set the Bake Mode to Ambient Occlusion, and hit the big Bake button. Blender will now start rendering soft shadows onto the texture we just created."
    https://wiki.beamng.com/Introduction_to_Vehicle_Creation#Modeling_and_Texturing

That sounds simple enough, let's try...
    upload_2018-1-23_13-0-11.png

o_O say, does that look anything like soft shadows he mentions? Kinda harsh (pun intended).

17. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

If you're in edit mode, it's probably measuring in local measurements instead of global. Check the properties panel (N) and see if at the top it says global or local.

18. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Oh, cool, learned new stuff again, thx! :)

I wonder how that has changed though, maybe there is some shortcut for changing that and my clumsy fingers always end up to wrong keys which in Blender tends to cause things, horrible things :( *shudders*

19. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Right, so I wanted to set group of vertices X coordinate to 0, now that of course resulted searching from the internet how it is done as Blender likes to set averages instead of absolutes.

https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/70352/how-to-set-x-position-to-selected-vertices

You can use the following keystrokes to set the x position of each vertex to zero :
    S+X+0

Right, S = scale, that does not make sense, but let's try:
    upload_2018-6-4_20-0-37.png

Yes, I'm scaling vertices along X axis, works wonderfully...

What they left out is that S > X > 0 only sets differences between vertices to 0, you need to move them after that to 0 by typing 0 to n transform panel and only after that you have them at 0.

I so much would like to have right click on that transform panel and select between absolute or average option...

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. MASKED REPTILIAN

MASKED REPTILIAN
    Expand Collapse

using it is just mouse gymnastics

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice