Your Blender frustrations

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by fufsgfen, Feb 3, 2017.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

So here I made few hinges and my big idea is to join hinges to bed:
    upload_2018-6-16_17-58-41.png

Only problem is that when I join meshes, normals of firstly selected mesh flip around:
    upload_2018-6-16_18-0-11.png

This already started to happen when I made a cylinder shape of hinge, cloned that and joined two cylinders together, but then I made sure all normals were right side around, I made box shapes and yet again normals flipped when I joined round part and box part. Now it happens when I join it to bed and I can't bare to manually select all faces of hinge, for every hinge and flip faces, there must be some wisdom to this issue that would rectify the situation, however my initial search from the interwebs was not very fruitful.

Of course I can flip normals of hinges beforehand and when joining they flip again to be right way around, but why, why this happens, this does not make sense! :D

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

So this time I decided to explore Sculpt mode as I found a tutorial to that:
    upload_2018-6-21_19-33-21.png

Only little problem, when I press apply to modifier, I get error message, where as tutorial guy just gets modifier applied in Sculpt mode. I have checked numerous times and can't figure out why I'm getting the error.

If I apply modifier in Object mode, I get just lowpoly version on left, so I can't find a way to get my high poly version on right to be an object, I can edit it and see it in Sculpt mode, but am unable to get that object to be in object mode, which kind of sucks.

I guess I just need to try again, perhaps there is something I have missed, or then something in Blender has been changed after this tutorial was made:

However I must say that I like from Sculpt mode a lot, round shapes are so much easier with that.

3. MASKED REPTILIAN

MASKED REPTILIAN
    Expand Collapse

nwtkdid.jpg
    now what the kefe do i do lol

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Iro

Iro
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

it probably had a negative value in the scale, then when merged to something with a positive value (or the other way around)
    that's the only way it's ever happened to me

5. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

The problem was that I have to have preview value of multires modifier same as sculpt value, then go to object mode and after that applying modifier produces wanted result. If anyone stumbles upon same issue, that is how to fix.

Sadly that did not improve model at all, it still looks crap, but that might be frustration of lacking skill more than anything else. Then again that was first ever test of sculpt, what to except really:
    upload_2018-6-23_2-30-3.png

6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

So, I got bright idea of making a 3D brickwall in Blender to get 2D brickwall texture to be used as a texture on 2 faces.

Here is brick wall and best I can get is print screen to get that to texture, everything else fails, bake to texture creates just a hundred separated bricks at various angles as it just places each rendered brick to where UV baking map has it set, not a chance to get texture of the whole wall, I give up after wasting whole day on simple thing as such with every tutorial and guide being rather unhelpful, all they do is million pieces at various angles.
    upload_2018-9-1_18-39-59.png

7. AX53

AX53
    Expand Collapse

A cube is 2 units wide when it spawns. Also it's bad pratice to rescale objects, it's better to rescale the mesh in edit mode.

Just select all faces afterwards and do control + N recalculate normals

You can change where the vertexes scale towards by changing pivot point

by using 3d cursor pivot you can place the 3d cursor exactly where you need the vertexes to scale towards

#27 AX53, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  8. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

You did answer to quite old posts, those are like long gone frustrations, but nevertheless, certainly some day someone will stumble upon the thread and find them useful :)

Easiest is to just type in size of your cube here:
    upload_2018-9-1_20-21-46.png

Then hit ctrl-a and select scale or rotation and scale:
    upload_2018-9-1_20-23-26.png

Then you have correct sized cube with scale 1, very fast, very accurate:
    upload_2018-9-1_20-23-57.png

Then offset here is really really confusing, but Constant offset makes some sense as that is meters (or blender units).
    upload_2018-9-1_20-33-38.png

That scaling of vertexes was not meant to scale vertexes, purpose of that scaling is to set all vertexes to same value on X axis, so that when you type X coordinate 0 to transform panel, all vertices end up to be 0 and not slightly away from zero as it is only possible to input median coordinates, no absolute for each at once.

So scaling resets all vertices to same value on chosen axis, so you can make straight line from vertices that are not on straight line for example and also you can set them to be precisely at 0 without need to set each one individually.

9. AX53

AX53
    Expand Collapse

Yes lol i get it, what I mean is, if you want your line of vertexes to be in a specific location you can move your 3d cursor there and scale to 0 with 3d cursor as pivot point

10. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Now my thick head is getting it too, that indeed can be useful, thx :D

Blender is funny program, it has so many thing that are not intuitive at all, but after banging head to wall enough long and learning how to do it, that becomes more intuitive than most other programs.

I have tested 3DS max also and that is what I used to know a very little bit long time ago, but now it feels very clumsy to use as I have memorized some of the ways how Blender works.

11. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I've got to say, I have never had any issues with blender that I didn't create myself. But that might speak more to my usage of it than anything else.

One thing that I would like would be the ability to move a bunch of quads into an exact rectangle on a UV map, rather than unwrapping and finding them bending off at some angle etc. Nothing that cant be fixed manually, but still a time consuming thing. It might be possible to do, I just haven't found the way to do it yet.

Perhaps an unwrap function that provides useable results would be nice, rather than having to redo everything by hand after an unwrap.

Actually scratch that, I just want a "Do the thing" button, where I can press it, and blender just does what I want it to, that would be great xD

12. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Certainly want that kind of button, so send a message if you find one and we are not lazy :D

This menus has lot of weird options and some I have found are such that they might be very useful, but not sure if they do what you want. Anyway, try each and see what happens, that is how my Blender learning mostly works as any guide or tutorial seems to be lacking that exact piece of information that is usually only problem at hand.
    upload_2018-9-4_19-35-56.png

13. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Sadly they didn't help too much.

This is where I currently sit in terms of UV mapping that I am working on, since there are a few different materials being mapped onto a single mesh, they all kinda overlap. Stuff off the edge of the map, is polygons that I haven't placed yet.
    upload_2018-9-4_17-44-36.png
    And that is just the polygons from the main chassis and interior alone :/
    upload_2018-9-4_17-45-59.png
    None of the stuff from the bottom of the picture.

For reference, these two objects are the wheel arches from either side of the car, they are the same thing just mirrored. "Smart Unwrap" my Arse... xD
    upload_2018-9-4_17-48-16.png

And this is why the R60 hasn't been released yet, this process is slow, painful, and generally off-putting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
  15. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

And this hasn't been merged into Blender because...? xD

Just from looking at it, it looks like a bit of a game changer. Looking forward to giving it a proper go. Thanks for the link :)

16. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It kinda makes Blender close to pro pieces of software in regards of UV mapping, at least that is how it appears to me.

In Blender 2.8 I can't find that red sphere that opens materials, generally very clumsy to use compared to 2.78, but haven't tested if some of those features from the addon in link has been found into 2.8.

I don't like 2.8, even edges are blurry :x

Anyway, that TexTools is quite known among those who are kinda capable modelers, but for me new thing and thought maybe someone else has not found it yet, definitely worth to test, especially if one hates doing UV maps :)

17. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

No materials tab in 2.8, I have seen some screenshots of 2.8 where there is a materials tab, but mine does not have clearly:
    upload_2018-9-20_16-37-23.png

Ah, ah, downloaded new 2.8, got materials tab back, but something looks slightly different...
    upload_2018-9-20_16-28-15.png
    Kinda hard to figure out which side is positive Y-axis, but when selecting transform tool that becomes clear and now typing exact translation is back and it is kinda better floaty thing so it is not so easy to miss anymore:
    upload_2018-9-20_16-35-20.png

Might give this new 2.8 a go now as materials tab is back so I can actually select and rename materials for faces easily. In our use it really does not matter what kind of material settings there are as materials.cs is what makes everything happen and we just need to set name of material in Blender.

But great grief there is a lot of mouse cursor movement needed now and because of needs to have accuracy I need to lift mouse three times to get from left edge of screen to right edge of screen.

I have ton of slower options too, but none faster ones, so anything that increases need to move mouse movement is annoying to me.

In 2.78 I have set one of the extra mouse buttons to cycle trough different edit modes, which is a real time saver.

#37 fufsgfen, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  18. AX53

AX53
    Expand Collapse

It's because you're in workbench rendering mode.
    However 2.8 is still not suitable for production, so use 2.78 lol unless you just wanna view 3d models with nice graphics

19. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I could not get away from such mode, that was on by default whatever it was, but that new 2.8 seems much better, yet really different, certainly will take a while to get anything done with it (not that I could do anything with any Blender, I know less than 1% of Blender after all).

Probably load of issues with exporting to dae etc. with new one.

I have my trusty old 2.78a with Cuda rendering, that tiny amount which I can make, I can probably do with that until end of times as it is so little what I can do and it only crashes if I try to edit 4K terrains with it, completely crash free otherwise :D

20. AX53

AX53
    Expand Collapse

Yea all of that will come. but 2.8 so far is like heavily work in progress and the developers advice you to not use it other than to try it out. Because for example your files could become corrupt if you save with them if you got a weird error or something.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice