Your Hobby Vehicles (Race/Derby/Mud truck) (REAL LIFE)

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Mopower77, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

As some of you know (Potato) I make some money mowing lawns on weekends but driving around going max revs at like 8mph isn't really ideal so I was wondering how hard and expensive would it be to do a pulley swap on the transmission? (To add maybe 5-10mph to top speed?)

2. S54B32

S54B32
    Expand Collapse

It probably wouldn't be the effort & expense. But if you have the resources/experience, It might be a fun experience.

3. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Does your tractor have a hydro static. That's all I work with and I'm not too familiar with all the other types of lawn mower propulsion systems. If it is, I can help.
    Edit: On second thought, I guess it doesn't make too big of a difference.

#23 Potato, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  4. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

since I am learning to drive I have no say in this matter...although I have failed my theory test 4 bloody times...2 on technical faults in the system and the other 2 I was being arrogant...5th time I hope to get it right the last time I failed it said I did 38 questions with 42 correct and each question was worth 1 point and its out of 50 questions...I donno but that sounds screwing to me...sorry off topic but I hope to get my licence soon :D

5. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

What? Oh you mean those automatic ones? Yeah, no. My neighbors had a fancy-dancy John Deere mower which had one and at the time we still had a crappy push mower so they let me use it in return for mowing their lawn too for a while.

#25 Cwazywazy, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  6. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

So yours has a clutch and gears and stuff? If so, then where is the clutch? Is it somehow linked into the belt on the driveshaft?

7. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Yeah. The clutches on this type are on the same pedal as the brake. (First half of the pedal is clutch and the second half is clutch and brake) I have no idea how the clutch actually works but I'm pretty sure it's just a cable running to the transmission.

8. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

So I guess yours has an actual transmission. On the autos, the drive belt connects directly to the "driveshaft" coming out of the engine. The actual speed of the tractor is controlled by wizardry in the hydrosatic. i guess I'm not much help here. But if you do need my help, pm me. I know you're a big boy and can do it on your own, just making sure you know you can always come to your friendly neighborhood potato for advice

9. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

:D

Well, yeah, it's pretty much the same thing. belt goes from crankshaft pulley to transmission pulley. One issue is that I'm gonna have to try really hard to figure out what model my mower is.. It'd be fun to do it before snow for some driveway drift action ;)

10. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

That's what i plan to do with my old tractor, drift in the snow. If we'd ever get any. With my luck, though, I'd probably slide into a curb and tip over.

11. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Well, yeah. I did have some fun drifting my rc car around last year but the charger kinda broke and still needs to be soldered. Plus my dad isn't really a big fan of me doing this pulley swap. (I talked to him about doing it)

12. Chernobyl

Chernobyl
    Expand Collapse

My dads transit before imagesCAPQ13LC.jpg And after the demo derby imagesCABZ4BUY.jpg Good fun but no injurys thankfully

13. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

After the stunt you pulled in the cars you drive thread, I somehow suspect that neither of these vehicles are your dads, or even the same vehicle (for a start, steelies dont match and one has a rollcage, although it is plausible to do that as a mod there is no reason to on what appears to be a perfectly intact work van)

- - - Updated - - -

Probably doable, but you would lose out on torque, and lawn mowers really do need torque, as it is our lawn mower has been known to stall cutting our lawn without any mods just from the sheer length that our grass gets to (no idea why, but if you dont cut it weekly, it quickly becomes knee deep).

14. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

I've cut someones lawn that probably hadnt been cut in like over 2 or 3 months. It was REALLY long. And it did fine. I woudn't be changing anything on the blade belt/pulley system, just the transmission pulley. Besides, I could just use a lower gear and it would be pretty much the same as before. (At least that's what I think anyway)

15. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

relatively few things came up in a reverse image search so it seems to be legit.
    http://www.spedeworth.co.uk/news2.php?id=1082

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=s...lAser2gXg6ICIAg&start=0&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=962

- - - Updated - - -

I geared a mower to 20mph or so once. It wasn't going to be used for cutting. It only had a 5hp motor (that i reved the piss out of, never blew :D) and it could spin the tires if i dumped the clutch it the last gear. 1st gear was still balls slow so it would have been fine. You should be good at a slightly lower gear ratio if you watch what you're doing

16. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

So you want a faster mower?

I think my friend in Illinois knows something about this...haha

http://mazda626.net/topic/34276-my-turbo-lawn-mower/?hl=+turbo++mower#entry282633

-Custom mitsu TD04 turbo off a TT 3000GT
    -Custom exhaust
    -Custom paint (lol)
    -Custom gas pedal (relocated from the dash, to a 'Big FooT' pedal assembly on the floor)
    -Red underbody neons
    -Red 'cobra eyes'
    -Dual gauge pod with boost and temp gauges
    -Custom electric fan from a probe turbo
    -Bypass (BOV) also from a probe turbo
    -Pushing 5 psi

If it has an engine, you can turbo it.

Attached Files:

• img-281558-1-garagepics018.jpg
    • img-281558-3-052.jpg
    • img-281558-2-garagepics019.jpg
  17. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

That AINT A TRACTOR

this is the TURBO TRACTOR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZZpAO0jP7E

18. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

I was hoping you wouldn't post something silly. I was trying not to go too off-topic.

They are talking about lawn mowers, not tractors.

19. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

20. Mitki4a

Mitki4a
    Expand Collapse

What happened to the Chrysler?:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice