Your own ideas for racing games

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Snikle, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Snikle

Snikle
    Expand Collapse

You know, racing games today are usually similar to each other. They may have different gameplay at times, but they're still usually just about driving fast supercars or old muscle cars or '90s tuners (Or all three at once) as fast as you can from point A to B. So I started this thread to see people try to come up with fun new ideas or even blatant parodies of modern racing games.

For example, earlier today I was thinking about the "Great cars that aren't in any racing games" thread, and let my mind wander for a bit. I came up with an idea for a game that will probably never get made, but is fun to ponder anyway. It's a racing game that takes place at the Amelia Island Concourse D'Elegance, and all the super rich men and women want their car to be featured in the TV show "Old Man Drives Old Cars," but the guy who runs the show will only make an episode about the most expensive car there. All the rich people come up with a street racing competition around the island, where if you beat someone with a more expensive car than you, you get the car, like in NFS Most Wanted 2012. All the cars are old and expensive, so the roaster will include Deusenburgs, Delahayes, old Bugattis, '50s Ferarris, Rolls-Royces, and other things that people would never race in, just for the hell of it. There will also be cops like in NFS. When your car hits things while racing, it loses value.

So what can you come up with?

• Like Like x 3
  2. nosraenyr kcirtap kcin

nosraenyr kcirtap kcin
    Expand Collapse

I have a idea for a open world car combat game, think the Mad Max game but in a city. Also it would have a first person if you go into building think Condemned Criminal Origins and it would a dark sense of humor.
    There would be 4 car classes
    Speed
    Damage
    Durable
    and Style
    Speed would be sports cars,
    The Italian Stallion is one of these cars
    Redline COCAINE MOTHER FUCKERS!
    The Rotarboto This is the slowest out of the Speed class and the second most weakest car in the game but hey, it have a Rotary.
    The Pretty Boy A Long Hair Dude that makes your mother pant
    The British Pretty Boy Basically the same as that dude above

Damage would be cars that can a mix of speed and durability,
    The Land Battle Ship is one of these cars
    Car Ram Rod Just a cop fucker.
    The Vulture V8 would be the fastest out of all the Damage vehicles with it's 7.7L V8 that pushes 900 horses
    The Devil would make about 666 Horses with it's 6.6L V6 upload_2017-12-14_10-48-36.jpeg The driver is one of the most evilest men on earth, the man who owns Viacom- I mean Satan.
    The Mullet GT Just a bunch of good old boy, bashing in skulls and drinking the shine.
    The Grand Prick Only a Dick would drive the Prick
    The High Man

Durable would be cars that can take a lot of damage,
    The Dually Bully is one of these cars You know that asshole who kicked your as in the 9th grade, yeah he still can kicked your ass
    The Commandnator "I'm Back" A added bonus with this car you get a free one liner with every kill.
    Boss Hog A big fatass rich raciest so every Democrat ever.
    Large Barge Marge This little old lady will fuck you up.
    The Cowboy Rule Number 32.
    Mother I would Love to Fight This is the same chick I was talking about for the Pretty Boy bio
    Jeepers Creeper This truck is the last thing you want to see in the rear view mirror

Style would be cars that will get more points from doing stuff
    Pimpala would get points for driving low and slow.
    The Freedom Eagle would get points for going off of jumps, like a true American.
    The Slider would get points from drifting in his oil burning, 100k down the drain, "Sports" car.

I made a playlist for the soundtrack https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNqdDEFm7kg1wbg_ckqEubGOWzAXQCz5E

#2 nosraenyr kcirtap kcin, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  3. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

A dirt racing/banger/derby game (think Wreckfest) that takes place in the future (say, 2032), so you'd have modern machines reimagined as beaters.

Imagine a Mini Cooper S with raised suspension, no bumpers and dirt tires, or a straight-piped, prebent Chrysler 300C, or a S550 Mustang with a 2.8 V6, a banger paintjob and an H-Frame (all names changed to fictonal ones).
    --- Post updated ---
    OK, did a bit more thinking, and I had an idea:

The game would be large in scope, featuring circuit racing (incl. karts), rallying, drifting, drag racing, oval racing, dirt racing, banger racing and derbies. The system would be like in the previous beta of Wreckfest, where you can buy cars and parts, but in higher racing classes, you'd just sign a contraft with the team and they would provide the car.

You'd start as a teenager in any year between 1950 and 2017, with the maximum game year being 2035, giving the opportunities for driving a lot of classics (e.g. dirt racing in 30s Fords, or drifiting in early Laurels). The starting countries would be the US, UK, Japan and Sweden (some available only after a certain year; more could come in DLCs). You would start in small-time leagues (e.g. local dirt racing or drag strip), and move up to bigger ones through paying for it or getting recruited by headhunters if you prove yourself, but some sports (e.g. banger racing) would not have too much opportunities.

As you continue driving in some types of racing, your driver would become better in them and worse in others. However, with time, their skill would detetoriate, finally leading to a retirement.

I'll think of a car list.

#3 MrAnnoyingDude, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Snikle

Snikle
    Expand Collapse

I've been thinking more about this, and it might be easier than I thought to make it a reality. It will still take a lot of work, but it could potentially be possible. I'd start with the PC version of NFS: Most Wanted. Replace the map with a new map with all custom assets, and map out new race routes. Replace all the cars with some more Concours-y cars (Desenburgs, old Caddies, Rolls-Royces, etc), most of which would need to be modeled, but since the MW engine is old, they wouldn't need to be advanced high-poly models, and they would have no engine or interior either. The other things that would need to be done are code things involving the cars' values and their depreciation during races. I'm sure that if this project ever gets off the ground and I can produce a new map and 30 new cars, people will be eager to help with coding issues. The last thing would be story, and since I'm not going to make cutscenes, I'll draw the story out as comics, like the BeamNG devs do.I may even do this before anything else, since I draw comics all the time.

Does this sound feasible? I'm getting PC Most Wanted for Christmas and I hope to at least try and make this a reality.

Edit: Car list
    In the origianal game, there are 32 cars, plus four that are unlocked for doing various things like beating the game or winning all challenge series events. Four of the 32 are unlocked at the beginning of the game. The rest get unlocked when certain blacklist guys are beaten. I haven't decided how that would go yet, but beginner cars and special unlocks are noted.
    Carlist.png

#4 Snikle, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Spede3

Spede3
    Expand Collapse

Not really a racing game but a online-multiplayer freeroam game (Kind of like horizon) But with many many more vehicles other than cars

Motor Cycles

Dirt Bikes

Quads

Trikes

Pedal Bikes &Skate Boards

Planes

Boats

Snowmobiles

Many MANY more vehicles (Mainly trucks or obsolete cars that most games do not have)

All of this in one gigantic map

I guess a Spintires/Horizon/My summer car game.

The pictures arent just the ones that would be added but you get the point.

The map would be very diverse with urban areas, rural areas, offroad/bog areas, tracks (on-road and off-road) And there would be snow areas. It could also be able to use vr technology.

Along with soft-body physics like beamng along with a part-damage system (chains break from hard wheelies, rear ends go etc)and a mod respitory.

Light vehicles like quads, bikes, trikes,snowmobiles and high-horsepower vehicles with the right tires should be able to wheelie. Quads, bikes, trikes and snowmobiles should be able to wheelie by shifting the player weight with the controller thumb stick or doing clutch ups.

You will need a NASA super computer to run it but it is my dream game.

#5 Spede3, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

What if the need for speed franchise got original ideas, mind blowing

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. ¿Carbohydration?

¿Carbohydration?
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

A 1000~ sq mile map covering Venice and surrounding cities. Preferably actually to scale. ("none of that All of Australia in a small place" forza horizon crap"

For realism, dominantly European and Asian cars for sale, with a simulated economy making cars fall in price and up in price.

A detailed customization system, with unlimited engine swap potential.

1000+ (Fantasy) cars, that arent carbon copies of other real cars.

A bunch of different racing classes and challenges. (for example, one for MPVs under 5000 and fun stuff like that)

That would be it for me.

8. carlosjr

carlosjr
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

A NASCAR game that's a mix of nr2007 and dirt to Daytona, local short track racing all the way up to cup. Street stocks, late models, super late models, sk modifieds, tour modifieds, k&n, trucks, xfinity, and cup. Real NASCAR whelen all American series tracks like south Boston, Thompson, Stafford, wall, irwindale, and then go all the way up to the tracks the top three national series run. Give it a career mode that's a good mix between the two games, start out either as a contract driver or start your own team and race your way up

Thats like a wet dream for me

9. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

Any racing game not based in the American desert

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Snikle

Snikle
    Expand Collapse

Alright, even more revisions to the idea. Converting NFSMW is technically feasible, but would take a lot of time and effort and still be limited to under 40 cars. Plus the technology to replace the map does not exist yet. So the new plan is to create a new 2D top-down racing game. This way I'll be able to have it in Amelia Island, I won't have to do any 3D modeling, and best of all, the the number of cars is not limited. I more than doubled the size of the car list, seen in the spoiler. The 2D nature means that the cars could all be drawings rather than models. I can draw cars well, so this is a plus. It will still have a freeroam mode but probably not cops.

1937 Alfa Romeo 8C 2900b Lusso
    1960 Aston Martin DB4 Zagato
    1964 Aston-Martin DB5
    1992 Aston-Martin Virage
    1956 Austin-Healy 100M Roadster
    1935 Avions Voisin C25 Aerodyne
    1931 Bentley Blower
    1964 Bill Thomas Cheetah Race Car
    1966 Bizzarrini GT Strada
    1957 BMW 507
    1927 Bugatti 41 (Coupe Napoleon)
    1961 Bugatti Type 101C Roadster
    1936 Bugatti Type 57
    1960 Buick Electra
    1954 Buick Wildcat II
    1938 Buick Y-job
    1931 Cadillac 452A Dual-cowl Pheaton
    1940 Cadillac 90 Town Car
    1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
    1977 Chevrolet Aerovette Concept
    1958 Chevrolet Corvette
    1959 Chevrolet Impala
    1963 Chevrolet Split-Window Corvette
    1960 Chrysler 300F convertible
    1956 Chrysler Imperial Parade Pheaton
    1962 Chrysler Turbine
    1959 Citroen DS
    1955 Continental Mark II
    1937 Cord 812 (Supercharged)
    1948 Davis Divan
    1949 Delahaye 175S Roadster
    1971 DeTomaso Pantera
    1923 Deusenburg Model A
    1935 Deusenburg SSJ
    1967 Dodge Coronet R/T Convertible
    1948 Ferarri 166 Inter
    1962 Ferarri 250 GT
    1968 Ferarri 365 GTB/4 (Daytona)
    1962 Ferarri 400 Superamerica
    1955 Ford Crown Victoria
    1967 Ford GT40 Mark IV
    1957 Ford Thunderbird
    1951 GAZ Torpedo
    1967 Ghia 450SS
    1953 GM Firebird I
    1939 GM Futurliner
    1951 GM LeSabre
    1938 Hispano-Suiza H6C
    1969 Holden Hurricane
    1933 Horch typ 670 Sport Cabriolet
    1957 Jaguar D-Type
    1969 Jaguar E-Type
    1992 Jaguar XJ220
    1954 Kaiser Darrin
    1964 Lamborghini 350 GT
    1974 Lamborghini Countach
    1968 Lamborghini Espada
    1971 Lamborghini Jarama
    1967 Lamborghini Miura P400
    1955 Lincoln Indianapolis
    1993 Lister Storm
    1969 Marcos GT
    1967 Maserati Ghibli Spyder
    1957 Mercedes 300SL
    1934 Mercedes 540 K Streamliner
    1962 Mercedes 600 Pullman Limousine
    1939 Mercedes 770K Grosser Offener
    1954 Mercedes Blue Wonder 9
    1926 Minerva Type AC Dual-Cowl pheaton
    1968 Mohs Ostentienne Opera Sedan
    1950 Muntz Jet
    1938 Packard 1605 Super Eight
    1989 Panther Solo
    1955 Pegaso Tipo Z-102b
    1938 Peugeot 402
    1938 Phantom Corsair
    1933 Pierce-Arrow Silver Arrow
    1954 Pontiac Bonneville Special (Green)
    1970 Pontiac GTO Judge
    1960 Porsche 356b
    1973 Porsche 917/30
    1957 Renault Dauphine
    1929 Rolls-Royce Phantom I
    1961 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II
    1951 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith
    1966 Shelby 427 Cobra
    1965 Shelby Daytona Coupe
    1962 Studebaker Avanti
    1953 Studebaker Commander Starliner
    1937 Swallow Sidecar SS100
    1938 Talbot Lago
    1941 Tatra T87
    1968 Toyota 2000GT
    1948 Tucker Torpedo
    1990 Vector W8
    1937 Volvo PV52

EDIT: I've started to make this happen. I made a (traffic) car today, and I have asked tdev for a group to follow development.

#10 Snikle, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  11. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Some car ideas?

12. ¿Carbohydration?

¿Carbohydration?
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Yes!
    I made this Italian city car in automation a while ago.

Called it the 48' Santilli Pico

13. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I had a "IAF Idea" called Driven: America. It includes nearly EVERY SINGLE CAR + CONCEPT CAR, even if it's not American or US-spec. It'd had any kind of music, and has a map FULLY DETAILED with every city and town, very similar to the Crew. It's also Horizon-like, because there will be off-roading areas, off-road vehicles, and even off-roading missions. Plus, there would be minigames/subgames WITHIN the game, like Cops and Robbers, or Online Challenges. They would have interesting areas to explore, a intriguing plot, although you can pick ANY name and a custom person by you, so you feel like you are playing a character that you wanted. (I over-explain everything) It'd also have top-notch cutscenes, crash physics, and even interactions to objects. It's also like GTA, because there's pedestrians. Like Forza, it will have it's own versions of cars. You can also get images from the internet by searching on google (PC) or by USB (Console). Lastly, it would have select areas to make your own races. (That means none for off-roading though.)

#13 General S'mores, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  14. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

I've long had an idea for a racing game set at or near inception of automobile racing, so probably 1900-1925. Probably in a beautiful geographical region with limited or poor infrastructure (I'm thinking Italy), and taking place across open terrain with roads and towns that must be navigated, bearing in mind one's chosen route and traffic (automotive, pedestrian, and, yes, carriages).

Umberto Vittoriano, a wealthy Italian landowner, is dying. His parting wish is to indulge in his long-held fascination with the car, and pools his resources to organize an open-invitation racing championship for him to watch in his last days. The prize? The winner gets the will. The player, a local bicycle repairman with a hobby in internal combustion-driven vehicles, takes an interest. Competing racers come from various parts of Italy, a few from Germany and France, and a team or two from the UK and US. Naturally, world-war era politics seep into the race and its reporting.

Physics-wise, vehicles would be handled like the ships from KSP: not soft-body per se, but rigid body objects attached with separable springs that allow the vehicle to rattle and contort on the rough roads and in the challenging conditions. The ability to leave and repair the vehicle is a must as well, as the engine will not respond favorably to gravel, potholes, offroading, and cobblestone.

As the event is loosely organized, the player will be allowed, and periodically encouraged, to play dirty. The brief on-foot hubs between races will take place in garages, at public events, and in taverns and hotels. There, the player may organize alliances, start fights, oust particular racers, and possibly take on side missions, influencing the races and the player's ongoing rivalries during them.

• Like Like x 1
  15. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I love that idea.

16. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Another idea: Gearhead Life.

You would be a gearhead trying to keep balance between the normal everyday life, and the hobby. Kinda like a gearhead's version of The Sims, focused on cars.

The starting year would be able to be chosen anywhere between 1950 and 2018, and the game would go up to 2025. The first available area would be California, with other ones (e.g. other parts of the US, UK, Japan, Russia, Australia) available as possible DLC. The character would be able to move between areas.

Your character would have random or player-selected "formative experiences" (e.g. grew up in a family driving big landbarges, so either ended up loving or resenting them, his family didn't care about cars, so getting interested into them was an act of rebelling).

The character would be able to buy and lease cars, modify them, daily drive them, take rides and even compete in grassroots motorsport, e.g. offroading challenges, drag races, derbies, lowrider events, using money earned by working.

The character would have certain demands from cars. The demands would change as time goes by (e.g. as your character gets older, they value comfort more). Some cars will have a special desirability rating (e.g. childhood dream cars).

When the character starts a family and has kids/grandkids, they would be able to make them gearheads by e.g. taking them to car events.

The car list would be diverse, trying to cover a lot of archetypes and subcultures, and would include different vehicles,,from tired hand-me-downs to luxury supercars.

Examples:
    - 1936-1948 (different fascias) Brookwood Series 80 - 1936-1948 Buick Special sedan,
    - 1942-1945 Knight Milcar - 1942-1945 Willys Jeep.
    - 1954-1956 Americar Venice - 1955-1957 Chevrolet Bel Air.
    - 1962-1974 Lyons S-Series - 1961-1975 Jaguar E-Type/XKE,
    - 1969-1973 Mazuo ST24 - 1970-1974 Datsun 240Z.
    - 1985-1988 Tokai TRC - 1983-1987 Honda CR-X,
    - 1989-1997 Americar Nantucket - 1990-1998 Chevrolet Tahoe,
    - 2004-2009 Grazziani 4000C - 2003-2010 Ferrari F430,
    - 2015- Sohari Pershing - 2017- Kia Stinger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

A racing game in which you couldn't just touch a button and magically change the suspension behaviour or the anti roll bar or change the ratio of the transmission with a touch.

Every different setup requires unique parts and it takes a long time to remove a single transmission gear and inserting a new one to your likings, which will take time away that you have left for practice, or qualifying.

Else, something like my summer car, but with more complexity. A game in which driving like if it was GTA was severely punished but you couldn't reset the car for every small mistake like you do in BNG.

• Like Like x 1
  18. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

You would buy a car like in SLRR, car would then have a life, parts would wear, needing replacing, damage repaired would be still in log affecting resale value, also mileage of car would be recorded during life of vehicle, so you could see how much you have driven with a car, as well as running costs and costs per mile/km, fuel economy for whole life of a car. So instead of having disposable use once vehicle, you would have car with a character, bit like roleplaying games have character that evolves and suffers from injuries etc.

Buying car would be expensive, so that first one would have to get cheap used car, winning races, doing deliveries etc. would give money, also it should be possible to get into financial crisis so that you can't pay costs of driving anymore, which would make it challenging to do racing and it would add need to be cautious, you can't push 100% all the time, especially with old worn cars.

Blend of Hotrod 1/2, SLRR, BeamNG, online mode should be possibility too.

Trucking, offroading, road racing etc.

Complex with lot of data, some understanding of vehicle technology should be needed, something that would not be casual quick drive and smash, but much deeper, challenging and very much addictive.

Of course modding should be possible, with simple and comprehensive manuals and tools, where you don't need to be engineer to decode undocumented text files (wink).

19. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

The sequel, Driven: Canada will be bigger, as Canada is more expansive, although more barren, but more snowy as well. The first cars you get after the story are Canadian only.

Here's the story:

[My example of the main protagonist is Nick Hocks, though you can make it anybody you like, and make it look like whoever you want as well.]

Nick Hocks is a standard Canadian, who then discovers that he is in a competition without any acknowledgment, so he decides to join. His only problems are that he isn't much a racer, so a friend of him named Howard Stark gives you tips and 5 choices to pick for the first race, "The Stock Drive." Then, his nemesis from high-school decides to take on and beat Nick, whom is Brad Le California. Brad and Nick from this point are trying to finish each other off, to get the prize of a elegant mansion and a free RR Dawn. (That's pretty much it.)

There will be differences, including the obvious and not obvious in gameplay:
    • During the first 20 minutes of the game, you can only access Canadian cars stock until TSD is accomplished, and a dealership plus a tuner's shop.
    • Most of the off-roading is snow-related, unless in specific areas.
    • The car you start with before you choose one of the five is a 2009 Acura TL 3.7 L V6, unlike in the other game where it is a 1998 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4.6L V8 Natural Gas.
    • The city you start in is Thunder Bay, and the final showdown, "High-End," takes place in Stony Rapids.
    • Some of the citizens speak french, including Howard, while the others speak english, like Brad and Nick.
    • More civilian-purchasable cars are cheaper, max at $40,250.
    • Plenty other cars are cheaper, although some are more expensive than in the first game; EX: 2015 Ford Focus ST at $65,983, and 2015 Hyundai Sonata at $95,108.
    • Cars can now have "made for game" custom engines.
    • More game tunes of other vehicles, such as the FE Fuel Cell concept.
    • You can now repair the car from blizzard/cold temperature damages.
    • All cars are now able to made into snow-cars.
    • Police cars come in multiple vehicles, including snow-cars.
    • Snow bikes are also added to the game as DLC.
    • Howard plays a part in the game, as he participates in the Toronto mission, "Extreme Bus."
    I could add more, but to give you a view of what the sequel might look like.

(I'm actually gonna list the 5 cars Howard gives you to take for yourself, ALTHOUGH they are all in stock form.)
    1. 2000 Acura Integra LS 1.8 L 4-cylinder
    2. 1995 Opel Tigra 1.6 L X16XE I4 Automatic
    3. 1999 Honda Civic CX US-spec 1.6 L 4-cylinder
    4. 1997 Rolls Royce New Silver Spirit 6.75 L Rolls-Royce L410 V8
    5. 1991 Dodge Ram W150 Regular Cab 360 cu in (5.9 L) LA V8

#19 General S'mores, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  20. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

(I think this needs more of the sunlight, nobody posted here for an while.)
    The 2nd sequel of D:A would be Driven: Mexico. This time, most of the country will be desert-themed, like a few US states. I will also count Baja California as part of the map.

Here's a plot:
    [Insert character name here] has an dream of owning an cornucopia of vehicles, but has only one cheap car. It then joins an championship with other people of Mexico to win the prize of 1,000,000,000 dollars. Starting from an low point, it gets advice from an professional tuner to achieve it's goal for owning multiple cars. After it does win the goal, it'll go back to an calm, smooth life.

Only a few differences will be listed here:
    • It will differ from the other two, as there is an narrator in the beginning that isn't your character's voice.
    • Your starter vehicle is about the most lowest-quality out of the other games, being an 2003 Nissan Tsuru.
    • You cannot switch the car until you reach level 8.
    • There are more off-roading tracks than in Canada, because of the barren desert terrain.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice